ROM Hack Super Mario Advance 4 - All Unreleased e-Reader Cards Translated!!

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Please do!

How do you use this? Where do we place items the were NOT included? Where are the files once "convert_all_unreleased_card_files.bat" is used?

Admittedly I didn't scan in the Green Switch as I didn't see a need for it. The problem with making more save files is that the basic SMA4 can only hold up to 32 level cards out of all 38 levels so I'll see what I can do. Nintendo fixed this for the Wii U release and the mentioned patch in the thread is around to use in an emulator if someone chooses to go looking for it. If you mean scanning in ecards I used No$GBA for that as Renegade_135 mentioned.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RoniPunk
Ok its finally done as I had time to do this tonight, these save files have the level cards scanned in and should not be used with the Wii U version.
(RS) of course stands for the Red Switch e-Card as in my other post, save file 1 has the 30 mushroom series levels and promos 1 and 3 while save file 2 has the star series levels and promo 2 as shown below.
Save File 1:
Wild Ride in the Sky
Slidin' the Slopes
Vegetable Volley
Doors o' Plenty
Bombarded by Bob-ombs
Magical Note Blocks
The ol' Switcheroo
Piped Full of Plants
Swinging Bars of Doom
Para Beetle Challenge
A Musical Trek
Armored Airship
Ice Dungeon
A Sky-High Adventure
Sea to Sky
It's a Shoe-In
Slip Slidin' Away
Ice Cubed
Puzzling Pipe Maze
A Towering Tour
Castle Dash
Rich with Ropes
Vexing Doors
Caped Escape
Ground Work
An Aqueous Adventure
Bowser's Last Stand
Koopaling Confusion
Bowser's Airship 1
Bowser's Airship 2
Airship's Revenge
Treacherous Halls

Save File 2:
Classic World 1-1
Classic World 1-2
Classic World 1-3
Classic World 1-4
Classic World 2-2
No Time to Dawdle

Like I said, the original SMA4 could only hold up to 32 completed levels so I did the best I could to split these into two save files.

Attachments

• SMA4 e-Reader Savs Not Wii U Edition.zip
    108.3 KB · Views: 439

RoniPunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RoniPunk
Ok its finally done as I had time to do this tonight, these save files have the level cards scanned in and should not be used with the Wii U version.
(RS) of course stands for the Red Switch e-Card as in my other post, save file 1 has the 30 mushroom series levels and promos 1 and 3 while save file 2 has the star series levels and promo 2 as shown below.
Save File 1:
Wild Ride in the Sky
Slidin' the Slopes
Vegetable Volley
Doors o' Plenty
Bombarded by Bob-ombs
Magical Note Blocks
The ol' Switcheroo
Piped Full of Plants
Swinging Bars of Doom
Para Beetle Challenge
A Musical Trek
Armored Airship
Ice Dungeon
A Sky-High Adventure
Sea to Sky
It's a Shoe-In
Slip Slidin' Away
Ice Cubed
Puzzling Pipe Maze
A Towering Tour
Castle Dash
Rich with Ropes
Vexing Doors
Caped Escape
Ground Work
An Aqueous Adventure
Bowser's Last Stand
Koopaling Confusion
Bowser's Airship 1
Bowser's Airship 2
Airship's Revenge
Treacherous Halls

Save File 2:
Classic World 1-1
Classic World 1-2
Classic World 1-3
Classic World 1-4
Classic World 2-2
No Time to Dawdle

Like I said, the original SMA4 could only hold up to 32 completed levels so I did the best I could to split these into two save files.
Well, Thank you!

BobTheOompaLoompa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, question for everyone. I've modded a SNES classic with a SMA4 ROM that has all the e-reader levels already on it. Is there a way I can transfer one of these save files over to my existing ROM? I've always wanted to have a copy of this game with both levels and e-switches activated.

BobTheOompaLoompa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admit learning that the Cyan Switch only works in World-e in the proper e-card is disappointing but oh well. I've attached some save files in a zip to this post with a bunch of items and the e-Switches scanned in for people who don't want to mess around with getting the e-Reader to work. One save has the Red Switch scanned in while the other does not, the save with the Red Switch is "SMA4-SMB3(RS).SAV". These saves are intended to be used on the Wii U version of SMA4 as they don't have level cards scanned in but I could try to make more save files with the level cards if requested. I made a tutorial for injecting SMA4 saves on the Wii U using Saviine here:
Everyone ignore my last message, I was able to figure it out! However, Wanderer would you be able to create a save file with the green switch enabled? I think that was the only one missing on the file unless of course it doesn't work properly like the cyan switch only being present in the e-world.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone ignore my last message, I was able to figure it out! However, Wanderer would you be able to create a save file with the green switch enabled? I think that was the only one missing on the file unless of course it doesn't work properly like the cyan switch only being present in the e-world.

Yeah, the Green Switch only works in World-e in the proper e-Card. I can make some saves with the Green Switch scanned in if you still want it.

Reactions: BobTheOompaLoompa

BobTheOompaLoompa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the Green Switch only works in World-e in the proper e-Card. I can make some saves with the Green Switch scanned in if you still want it.
That'd be awesome thanks! If its possible as well, could you have just one file in the regular game that does not have the RS enabled while the other two files do? If that's too much trouble don't worry about it having the green switch along with the RS switch save state will be great.

Wanderer0891

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That'd be awesome thanks! If its possible as well, could you have just one file in the regular game that does not have the RS enabled while the other two files do? If that's too much trouble don't worry about it having the green switch along with the RS switch save state will be great.

Done, SMA4-SMB3(GS).sav has the Red Switch scanned in Files 2 and 3 but not in File 1 with the Green Switch scanned in World-e. I didn't know if you also wanted the Red Switch in World-e or not so SMA4-SMB3(GS)(2).sav was put in this zip file for that.

Attachments

• SMA4 Green Switch.zip
    3 KB · Views: 243

BobTheOompaLoompa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done, SMA4-SMB3(GS).sav has the Red Switch scanned in Files 2 and 3 but not in File 1 with the Green Switch scanned in World-e. I didn't know if you also wanted the Red Switch in World-e or not so SMA4-SMB3(GS)(2).sav was put in this zip file for that.
Great thanks a ton! Appreciate you helping out by adding that in, especially with making the others saves available as well

erpguy68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while I did enjoy scanning & playing Renegade's version of the unreleased level e-cards in SMA4, I only encountered one problem and it was with the 100-up mushroom card he did.

the 100up mushroom card Renegade made can only be scanned once per game and I cannot use it again and get the message "this power-up card has already been scanned" (I was using no$gba). all other unreleased power-up cards (like the 3up mushroom card) can be scanned or used repeatedly with no problems.

Last edited by erpguy68,

Sunicune

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Renegade,

I’m somewhat new to the E-reader community, but I quickly saw that you were one of the biggest people on this subject!
Firstly I have to pay my respects for you, because I find it amazing that you translated all those Super Mario cards for the E-reader community. Bravo!

Because of that, Im contacting you to get some more information about the E-reader because Im tying to understand it really.

My goal is to develop a Pokemon Pinball demo e-card that was never for distribution and also never dumped.

This is what Serebii has to say about it:
“With this card scanned in, you're encounter chances of Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile and Aerodactyl are increased so you are likely to get them more often. This card was given away at certain e-reader+ trial stands in Japan.”

Now, there are dumps of all the other Pokemon Pinball E-cards, except the one mentioned above and there is a good chance it will never be found/dumped. So I’m trying to find out if I can convert the .raw or .bin files of the dumped Pinball cards into readable lines of code to understand what the card exactly does. After that I will try to edit that code to reach my goal of creating the never released E-card.

Right now im stuck with the .raw and .bin files, which I opened with Visual Studio 2013. Can you explain to me how I can decompress these files in understandable and readable lines of code? I think you’re the only one whom I can ask this stuff.

Thanks in advance for responding, you can add me on Discord if you prefer that (I do!) Sunicune#0349.

Yours Sincerely,

Last edited by Sunicune,

Tsquare07

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, i have a problem. Please see 3 images below to understand what i'm talking about.

We all know that the official cyan switch can only be activated in world e. So here's my problem. When i immediately activated it on the screen with a lakitu, the switch appeared to have its exact cyan color (image 1). But when going back to the main world e map, the color changed to green blue (image 2) (just like green blue switch that can only be unlocked in the main game (image 3)).

I don't know if this because of my rom, or my e reader rom, or it's just an inherent error in the American Version that the creators are not aware of. So do you have the same problem. If you do, do you know how i can fix it? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 416
Last edited by Tsquare07,

emuman100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Renegade,

What excellent work you did! Thank you for doing this, as you are as passionate about this game and the e-Reader cards as I am. I extracted all of the WiiU VC versions and keep those very close to my heart (and on my Everdrive) but I wanted to scan the levels in and write them to an official cart as well. The work you did was a great followup to Caitsith2's work.

Has anyone had any luck printing out dot codes? I don't have access to a lot of different printers to try.

Renegade_X135

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been busy working on other projects this year. But I thought I'd take a moment to revisit my SMA4 thread from a year ago, and answer some questions from other people.

while I did enjoy scanning & playing Renegade's version of the unreleased level e-cards in SMA4, I only encountered one problem and it was with the 100-up mushroom card he did.

the 100up mushroom card Renegade made can only be scanned once per game and I cannot use it again and get the message "this power-up card has already been scanned" (I was using no$gba). all other unreleased power-up cards (like the 3up mushroom card) can be scanned or used repeatedly with no problems.

This is an interesting discovery that was overseen when testing these cards out. The only reason I can think as to why the 100-Up Mushroom can only be scanned once is because of the promo set it is part of.

All items (except the 100-Up Mushroom) use D-### as their identifier. The 100-Up Mushroom is the only card which uses B-### as its identifier. What this means is that any card scanned from the "B" set can only ever be scanned once, where all others can be scanned multiple times. (Levels are "A" set, Demos are "E" set, etc.)

As such, the 100-Up Mushroom only be scanned once per save data. (four times total in a save file). This behavior is exactly the same as how the Japanese version of the e-card would work on the japanese version of the game.

Im contacting you to get some more information about the E-reader because Im tying to understand it really.

My goal is to develop a Pokemon Pinball demo e-card that was never for distribution and also never dumped.

Unfortunately, translating Japanese e-Reader cards isn't that easy. Cards from various sets have their data stored/encrypted using different formats. The only reason why the SMA4 cards were able to be cracked is because (1) enough documentation on them existed already and (2) the binary data uses relatively little encryption involved.

I tried my hands at translating cards from the japanese Rockman Zero 3 set, as well as the japanese Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire set. No success in either endeavor...

Not only is the data encrypted differently, but the cards contain a lot of text that requires proper translation....

(Besides, in the case of Rockman Zero 3/Mega Man Zero 3 - those cards' effects can be achieved via Action Replay - or swapping save files from different regions of the game where the e-reader support is available - or are natively included in the "Collection" releases for PS4/XB1 or NDS)

tl;dr - No, I can't translate Pokemon Pinball e-reader cards, and I have no desire to, sorry.

Hey guys, i have a problem. Please see 3 images below to understand what i'm talking about.

We all know that the official cyan switch can only be activated in world e. So here's my problem. When i immediately activated it on the screen with a lakitu, the switch appeared to have its exact cyan color (image 1). But when going back to the main world e map, the color changed to green blue (image 2) (just like green blue switch that can only be unlocked in the main game (image 3)).

I don't know if this because of my rom, or my e reader rom, or it's just an inherent error in the American Version that the creators are not aware of. So do you have the same problem. If you do, do you know how i can fix it? Thanks a lot!

Yes, this is a known issue in the games. The "Cyan" and "Blue Green" switches use the exact same graphic and palette. It was never intended for either switch to be active at the same time - as Blue Green is exclusively for the SMB3 save data, and Cyan is exclusively for the e-World save data.

I hope that this has helped address some of the critical questions that were brought up here.

Last edited by Renegade_X135,

Tsquare07

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I've been busy working on other projects this year. But I thought I'd take a moment to revisit my SMA4 thread from a year ago, and answer some questions from other people.

Yes, this is a known issue in the games. The "Cyan" and "Blue Green" switches use the exact same graphic and palette. It was never intended for either switch to be active at the same time - as Blue Green is exclusively for the SMB3 save data, and Cyan is exclusively for the e-World save data.

I hope that this has helped address some of the critical questions that were brought up here.

But on the lakitu screen/scanning card screen, the cyan switch appears with the exact cyan color, but after coming back to the world e map, the color reverts to blue green. I believe this is a programming mistake. If both switches have the same palette, why does this change in color only happen to the cyan switch?

Hardback247

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I transferred a CIA file of a SMA4 ROM with the e-reader levels patched into it on my homebrewed 3DS XL, but I got a message saying "Your saved data is corrupted." Could someone please help me out? What should I do?

Xehanort13

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, all of this is pretty interesting, i make a save file in no$gba with all the e level, and smb3 saves with the blue and red switches, the problem is when i try to load the save into an original SMA4 game, but it appears the "save file corrupted" message, this message appears in vba too, i can only play in no$gba

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo