ROM Hack Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World - Instrument Restoration

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was not aware of the existence of this and thought that maybe others didn't catch it as well, and because it was released just some months ago and maybe as me, you are one of those interested in this kind of projects, I present to you a Sound Restoration Hack (kinda) for Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World,

All credit for this romhack belongs to Weario

What does this hack do?

This patch changes two instruments to make them resemble the SNES version of the game:

• The Yoshi bongo, heard when riding Yoshi.
  • A horn sound, heard in ghost houses and fortresses.
This hack comes with 2 patches for both EU and USA regions. You can choose whether you want to patch the Yoshi bongo, the horn, or both.

Download

So this hack, despite being small, fixes two of the most fkd up instruments in the game, making a whole difference just by the Yoshi's bongo fix (it is beyond my head why Nintendo decided to change that for a, ehmm, PBC pipe strike sound?.)

Personally, among all the Mario Advance series, I always hated the music in this one to death, it was ear rape on most of it's tracks and a lot of the music sequences are off-key, low pitched when they aren't supposed to be and vice-versa, and let's not forget about the squeaking guitar sample they used in the main theme, is awful, hopefully it is restored as well.

I'm looking forward into a full sound restoration hack for this game, and at this moment this proves it can be done with a bit of work. Examples are another released projects such as the GBA Final Fantasy full sound restorations, matching their SNES counterparts.

What do you think? In my case, this encourages me to do further research and try to change more instruments for their matching SNES counterparts, or why not, add better ones.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I've never had any issues with the music of the GBA version, and I beaten it even more times than the SNES version (thanks to its portability). In fact I rather play the GBA version whenever I want to beat SMW again. I like the palettes better, I like the button layout better, I like the extra stuff added to it like Luigi, saving anytime, multiple languages, etc.

As far as sound only, I can mention many 16 Bit console > Gba ports with actually bad sound, and none of the Super Mario Advance games would be in that list. Have you ever listened to atrocities such as R-Type 3 on GBA? or Contra 3, that's also pretty bad.

After seeing the video, I think the bongo I can see it as a good change, although I don't mind how it sounds usually in the GBA, it gives the music a different vibe. On the other hand, the horn to me is not an improvement, sounds too low pitch, even lower than the SNES version, so to me it kinda crushes the overall sound of the music.

These restoration/improvement projects get all my respect and support, specially with the gigantic effort these types of hacks can become, and if someone has the means and the knowledge to try and make something sound better, it should be tried whatever others may think, quite a few games could be improved with things such as the instruments or color palettes (many Mega Drive games have palette patches to make them look WAY better, for example). DKC 1 also got a palette improvement on the GBA port, and it's like night and day.

Yet at the same time, I think there's a bit too much of a nostalgic obsession and hyperbole with these matters too (like how some people find the added voices in some of these games a personal offense), but alas we're talking about the gaming community, it's to be expected.

Also, sometimes people can be too stubborn wanting to make something "exactly like" the older version when it may not be for the best, and the better option would be to look for alternative instruments that may fit better the sound chip of the console you're dealing with, specially if we're talking about the SNES>GBA ports. May not be the same, but if it improves what is already there and sounds good, why not try it?

Which makes me wonder: How complicated is to change the instruments of these games?

Reactions: DSoryu

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
All those music pitch changes were made to allow the very limited quality of the GBA speaker to be able to work without getting saturated.

Now that we, for the most part, emulate/play those games on better systems that are able to play better music quality, those enhancements are very welcome and desirable.

Keep them coming!

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I did not expect this to make such a big difference, but the Yoshi drum sound is a huge improvement.

Thanks for bringing this hack to my attention. I wonder if this can be combined with the colour restoration and voice removal patches, I'll have to give it try!

Somehow I find the ground theme in the GBA version nostalgic, despite the lower quality. I had so much fun replaying this on the GBA back then.

Am I the only one who dislikes the added Mario voice samples in the Mario Advance series? Mario Advance 1 is the worst offender, Toad is so obnoxious that I never play as him...

I don't mind the voices in Mario 64, but in the 2D classics I prefer the original sounds.

Last edited by Reynardine,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I did not expect this to make such a big difference, but the Yoshi drum sound is a huge improvement.

Thanks for bringing this hack to my attention. I wonder if this can be combined with the colour restoration and voice removal patches, I'll have to give it try!

Somehow I find the ground theme in the GBA version nostalgic, despite the lower quality. I spent more time with the port than the SNES original as a child.

Am I the only one who dislikes the added Mario voice samples in the Mario Advance series? Mario Advance 1 is the worst offender, Toad is so obnoxious that I never play as him...

I don't mind the voices in Mario 64, but in the 2D classics I prefer the original sounds.

I have applied the voice removal and the color restoration patches and it works as usual :D, so go ahead. I don't mind the voices that much but, I feel better playing the game without them.

and I agree with you haha, here on my country, some youtubers have Toad's voice as a meme when it appears in game, they try to screech like him lol.

Reactions: Reynardine

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have applied the voice removal and the color restoration patches and it works as usual :D, so go ahead. I don't mind the voices that much but, I feel better playing the game without them.

and I agree with you haha, here on my country, some youtubers have Toad's voice as a meme when it appears in game, they try to screech like him lol.
Thats great! Now I can build my own Mario Advance 2 Perfect Edition with all three patches combined!

Have you ever seen the hack "Super Releasio 64" on youtube?

It will give you Toad nightmares, haha.:P

Last edited by Reynardine,

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The bad music of the gba version, keeps me out of trying complete all levels, but with a good sound restoration I play again and complete all levels, thanks for your work.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
All those music pitch changes were made to allow the very limited quality of the GBA speaker to be able to work without getting saturated.

Now that we, for the most part, emulate/play those games on better systems that are able to play better music quality, those enhancements are very welcome and desirable.

Keep them coming!

The music quality in some of these games barely resembles the SNES upon close examination.
Like Disney's Magical Quest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real