Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
coolbho3000 said:
Extremely high pressures within a confined space. Think if it leaked. All the energy stored in that battery would be released in one explosion. BOOM.
I understand that high level chemistry knowledge is not a requisite of posting on this board, so I'll keep this simple.

Re: leaking
These are solid mass, there is no liquid inside. It stores an electrical charge the same way a magnet stores a magnetic charge. Think about a magnet, one of those super strong ones, but instead of a magnetic charge that reacts when a piece of metal is brought near, it puts out electrical energy when made into a complete circuit under the right conditions. Magnets don't leak and neither do these.

Re: exploding
In terms of exploding, they wouldn't explode any more than a diamond would. Diamonds are created in the exact same way, under extreme pressure. Ever worry about a diamond exploding in your hand?
smile.gif
No, and you never will. The same goes for these things.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Sevael said:
coolbho3000 said:
Extremely high pressures within a confined space. Think if it leaked. All the energy stored in that battery would be released in one explosion. BOOM.
I understand that high level chemistry knowledge is not a requisite of posting on this board, so I'll keep this simple.

These are solid mass, there is no liquid inside. It stores an electrical charge the same way a magnet stores a magnetic charge. Think about a magnet, one of those super strong ones, but instead of a magnetic charge that reacts when a piece of metal is brought near, it puts out electrical energy when made into a complete circuit under the right conditions. Magnets don't leak and neither do these.

In terms of exploding, they wouldn't explode any more than a diamond would. Diamonds are created in the exact same way, under extreme pressure. Ever worry about a diamond exploding in your hand?
smile.gif
I misread, I thought the pressurization was the method used to store energy, not to create these batteries in the first place.
closedeyes.gif

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
Sevael said:
coolbho3000 said:

smile.gif
I misread, I thought the pressurization was the method used to store energy, not to create these batteries in the first place.
closedeyes.gif

i did too

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
I smell chinese counterfeit factories and Russian spies already sending this information back to their homeland. About time we have a real Solid Snake.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
good idea thinking to use diamond tech but the problem remains on price... jap ppl (if i am not mistaken) made quantum computing ie. ultra super duper fast computing... depends how much a computer can even use such extreme speeds... they said years of computing done in few seconds or so

reeeky2001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the price wouldn't stay high for too long. You basically make XeF2 (the base chemical) by putting xenon gas and flourine gas in a vacuum and expose it to sunlight. At normal temp ranges its a solid and is non-explosive.

Hopefully we're looking at a prototype battery in a year or two and then 3-8 more years for mass production. But if it holds crap loads of energy, is really safe, and the W/Kg ratio is lower than current batteries, it may end up in electric cars pretty fast. This is just speculation though.

If XeF2 is not made properly (i.e. oxygen is left in the container) the process can make xenon trioxide (boom boom). XeO3 explodes at room temp and on contact with organic agents, so this wouldn't end up in a battery.

Now, when you compress the non-explosive XeF2 it should stay non-explosive. So if that's true, it would be a better technology than Lion batteries (which can explode and catch on fire through use). XeF2 also melts at 128.6 C, so getting it to catch fire wouldn't be too easy under a normal use.

So this stuff would seem to be safer than Lion and base chemicals are readily available. Now someone just has to come up with a way to make the high pressure system fast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: