ROM Hack Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Did you read Oil_'s post? if so then you should know it was going to freeze in the first battle because of a bug

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oil_, did you get to solve the bug in your tools? Because we seriously need them. At this rate people will give up and the project will get down the drain again. I don't really want to waste the efforts the translators put, they did an awesome job.​
Also, please do something about the server too, I just can't enter to trim some lines because it takes a lot of time.​
Hope you'll reply as soon as you can.​

Anyway: Happy New year folks! hope you have a nice 2014!

Reactions: XswordcraftX

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Yes oil. Many of us including me are starting to give up.

No point we continue if there's:
1) No bug fix
2) No text fix
3) No effort from the hacker himself to solve these problems

Reactions: Pablitox

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, don't give up. Or if you do, at least try to publicize as much as you can of your work (mainly the long-form, untrimmed script) before you do, as Richburn did - without which your project would never have started, since _Oil relied on Richburn's work as the foundation. You do at least have the option of ensuring that even if you don't finish, your work doesn't go to complete waste.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, a bit more transparency from oil_ regarding progress would be really helpful especially since he's habitually slow to respond to anything and anyone. The trimming section didn't go live until the uncut translation script was, what, 75% done? Certainly more than half. The apostrophe issue was brought up ages ago but only fixed recently, after around half the script had already been trimmed and with no way to comfortably go back and fix the awkwardness that came from the trimmers' inability to use most contractions.

Honestly, this kind of working environment is intolerable and the least oil_ could do is tell us what he's doing, especially since he's relying on other people's help for this project. At least tell us who's going to edit the images.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
as macaronron says, we'll need a bit more of oil_ input so we know those little details that could speed up the project a bit. Not to mention make the game to make a bit more of sense, becauae the text did receive a serious dumb down

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Dear oil_

Maybe you can upload the files and tools used to deal with this project and have someone else take over from you if you are really busy. No harm in doing that if you do sincerely want this project to end off in a good way rather than having people wait a long while for things to be dealt with, and jumping to conclusions if things arent dealt with.

Hope you do read this. Thanks

Monobear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
though i can feel your frustration with him i also understand _oil, generally people are pretty busy at around this time of year, be it with meeting up with relatives, vacation or whatnot.
hopefully that's the case and he'll be more present later on, i sure hope so since i really want this game translated :c
thanks for all your work btw, _oil too, without him, this game wouldn't have this chance to be translated.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monobear, in all honesty, if oil_ doesn't fix the text limit issues, you'd just be better off learning Japanese because the trimmed script is a mess. Not only are the character limits ridiculously harsh but the trimmers are working blind. They literally have no clue a) who's talking, b) when the scene occurs, c) when the scene ends, and d) when the speaker changes. For most of the already trimmed script, they couldn't use most contractions, rendering a lot of dialogue really stiff and because the site is slow and tends to go down often, it's impossible for them to through ~200 pages to fix that.

Due to the fact that the character limits are ridiculous combined with no context for scenes and no idea of the characters involved, characterization has gone out the window to make room for slang that will actually fit within the limits. All the Guardian Beasts talk in distinctive ways in the original Japanese script that can't be adequately conveyed in the trimmed script because there isn't enough space. Hell, we have to use 'Rundor' instead of 'RUN-DOR' because the latter doesn't fit even though it's the official rendering of ランドル.

And finally, there hasn't been any talk of image editing despite the fact that in the very least the character portraits need to be done. (And somehow the beta patch broke part of the coding so that Rif's portrait replaces Ritchie's within the first few minutes of the game). And at least one of the non-portrait images certainly has Japanese on it, which means either oil_ needs to get them extracted so translators can translate them or find an image editor that knows Japanese and will translate them as they edit.

There also isn't a dedicated editor. Multiple translators mean that the tone and terminology can vary greatly between translators and someone needs to officially be given the job of going through the entire script to make it consistent. You can't leave that up to a random contributors because you will get edit wars; oil_ either needs to do it personally or appoint someone he trusts to do it. But again, this is more than 400 pages of script on a site that consistently goes down and is slow to load.

So if oil_ doesn't either fix the character limits or starting working with someone who can, looking at the text that will actually be used in the patch, you're better off learning Japanese. You were better off spending the eight, going onto nine, years since the game was first released learning Japanese.

And it's not like we want him to report to us every time he takes a shit or something. He's busy? Fine. He can tell us he's busy, give us a rough ETA of when he won't be busy, assure us that he's still working, and we'll stop riding his ass about it. But this radio silence bullshit where he doesn't say anything for weeks, doesn't reply to legitimate concerns, and doesn't even actually answer questions from people who want to help, is absolute bullshit.

I mean, he checked this thread just today. Pablitox, just a few posts ago, mentioned a legit bug where portraits were switched, a bug that oil_ did not mention when he posted the beta patch. The hanging after the first battle oil_ assures us he already knows about and is therefore working on. The portrait swapping? The garbled text? Does he know about them? Is he working on them? No one knows because he doesn't bother to tell us that he's noted them and working on them.

We aren't just frustrated; we are legitimately concerned here.

Reactions: XswordcraftX

Monobear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah, i'm not saying you're in the wrong here, just saying that maybe he just doesn't have any way to do that, he might be at a parent's house without his computer or something and at least when he did reply he put the beta patch up, i mean, _oil replied a lot more before the holidays.
he also did say he leaves this thread up on a tab so there's that for the online thing and reading the thread, i tend to leave my pc on for weeks so i can relate to that, though then again why doesn't he at least say hi i dunno.
kinda sucks but we just have to be patient and hope for the best, you guys are heroes in my book bro <3

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm. Anyone interested in an IRC channel for this and/or the game (or maybe SCS/SN in general,) or know of an existing one? And how many trimmers know Japanese? Would something that just consists of the dumped jap script text file set with some indicator of intended portrait on each dialog line (possibly in numeric form, and then you can work out which # is which portrait) help much, if such were to become available? Worst case, would anyone be willing to put the time in to manually convert the script into a new format entirely (shift-jis or unicode text files?)

Oh, and for playing, don't forget there's that blog site with translations of all the plot stuff. It isn't complete, but it helps until someone gets a real translation out. ...it has a nice joke mistranslation of one section for april fools, too.

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the trimmers know Japanese. Like I said, in Japanese, all the characters talk reasonably different from one another so it should be easy to figure out which portrait is which characters if we had a script that included that kind of information. Both salixa and pablitox were discussing getting the translated script off the website into something that isn't so ridiculously laggy but are having a hard time due to the need to log in or something. If you're going to restart from scratch, redump, retranslate, actually edit and shit, I can't guarantee I can help; Summon Night X has a lot of text, and I'm the only translator right now, and I've hit a bunch of really long files.

Well, I know how to use IRC and salixa wants us to move discussions there and some of the older posts from oil indicate that this project had some sort of IRC channel but hell if I know what it is. If you want to set up an IRC channel, go for it and tell us about it.

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I know how to use IRC and salixa wants us to move discussions there and some of the older posts from oil indicate that this project had some sort of IRC channel but hell if I know what it is. If you want to set up an IRC channel, go for it and tell us about it.
Not seeing one on Google, so I went ahead and made a general Summon Night channel on my home network where I have others. Feel free to use it for the Summon Night X project too if you don't already have one or just want to. The network has hostmasking default on, so client IPs are not revealed, unlike e.g. efnet.

#Summon-Night on irc.sorcery.net
http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.sorcery.net&channel=#Summon-Night
irc://irc.sorcery.net:6667/Summon-Night

Reactions: Pablitox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pi is basically just a fancy version +1