ROM Hack Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari

Agent20003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://sntranslation.vacau.com/shortenlines.php?page=356

This game caught my interest so I contributed by doing a whole page by myself, but some of the text repeats itself so I got confused. I put "nt" next to the text that I think got repeated (the first few lines in page 356 were repeated at the very bottom of page 355). I also shortened Summon Beasts to "SB" as otherwise there would be no space for a proper translation.

Hope I helped!

macaronron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://sntranslation.vacau.com/shortenlines.php?page=356

This game caught my interest so I contributed by doing a whole page by myself, but some of the text repeats itself so I got confused. I put "nt" next to the text that I think got repeated (the first few lines in page 356 were repeated at the very bottom of page 355). I also shortened Summon Beasts to "SB" as otherwise there would be no space for a proper translation.

Hope I helped!

The repeated lines are due to the fact that the two different player character, Rif and Ritchie, talk differently, even though they say the same thing. So even though the text is repeated, it's still important unless you want one of the player characters to talk in an endless stream of 'nt's.

And some NPCs too, since NPC lead-in dialogue for partner-specific dialogue is the same with all partners.

TheZu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What Maccy is trying to say is that, no, you did not help at all~ :3
No, I am not being sarcastic either. Were you actually invested in this project, you would have read all the previous sh*t that I posted here and not done bullsh*t such as using acronyms and then boasting with the glorious achievement of finishing one measly page whilst leaving blanks every so often, despite the fact that other contributors work on multiple pages on a daily basis and occasionally spend a good fifteen minutes or more trying to figure out the solution to a particularly difficult line.

On that very note, I am generally pleased with the recent contributions that I have had the pleasure to reword regardless because people are still sticking too closely to the source material instead of looking at the big picture of the conversation at hand and how people would interact with each other given the circumstances. Still, those few commendable individuals do give me a basis to work with and it's not like I save over everything they contribute. In fact, I find some of their contributions to be surprisingly smart and reasonable.

31c1f4871c6e5c773c74760cc522cd7a_new_medium_zps05d570f6.jpg

And that's exactly how you should go about this. Sit down, look at the Engrish, try to fit it into the character limit. If it doesn't work, omit words like colloquial speakers do. If it still doesn't work or if the statement in general sounds unnatural or almost unfitting, reword it entirely. Use questions and exclamations interchangeably, search for synonyms, search for idiomatic expressions. This is how it should be done, this is how I have been doing it for the past 140 pages, and consequently there is not a single f*cking line that I left empty or with a solution that I was personally not satisfied with.

I know you guys want to play this game really badly, but half-assing this job for the sake of saving time is the one thing that is absolutely not acceptable. This game is going nowhere. The rom is not going to mysteriously obliterate itself, so take your time and you might even get some fun out of this project once you really get into it and start combining the things you read with images in your mind. And then you can be proud of having done a really good job that doesn't require the Zu to make any changes whatsoever. And then you'll get a rewarding hug~
lLCH51j_zps68eba3fe.gif

Aeron Cajucom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hey zu, why don't you release a patch, even if it's unfinished, see how it goes, make a good laugh out of it. so they know that people are still working on it, maybe get some more people interested, you know, a little motivation for those who might want to help out.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
hey zu, why don't you release a patch, even if it's unfinished, see how it goes, make a good laugh out of it. so they know that people are still working on it, maybe get some more people interested, you know, a little motivation for those who might want to help out.

The only person who got the tools to insert the text back is Oil_ and heavens knows where he has been (not saying he dissapeared, but he has not replied back here since some weeks).

so you will have to wait.

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Is the project still on??? I am really exicited to play this game
Yes & No.

No its dead cus oil_ has gone AWOL. Yes cause there are still a little bunch of them trying to trim the text to its word limit but are being hindered either by word space or by other idiots who mess things up & leave. Thanks to this, its progress has been greatly disrupted.

The text however has been fully translated with great thanks to the translators, so thats the only good news.

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
so when will the patch be release?????

As much as I am as excited as you guys are to play this, unfortunately it seems to be in a standstill so I really have no idea. Im helping in my still small way but its not up to me or anyone to decide. Only the one who hacked the game (which is oil_) decides things.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
As swordcraft said, we are waiting oil_s input. He's the lead after all.

Thanks to everyones contribution the rewording % should go up to at least 50

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Oil_ i know that you are reading this and are constantly active on gbatemp.

It would do us great favor if you can reply us or update everyone on our constant trimming progress rather than ignoring every one of our replies.

We really don't want to see the effort by the translators and trimmers go down to waste. The work was painstakingly carried out and too well-done to ignore. So please do reply us here or on the website.

oil_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hi, sorry for the absence, I'm having some unrelated problems.
Anyways I updated the percentages, trimming is at 58% right now.
There's not much I can do until the trimming is complete so everyone good job and keep going!

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to express my concern that, based on what I've seen so far, _oil may not have the technical skills and/or interest to actually finish his portion of the project; what I've seen implies a very real possibility he's underestimating what's involved with the compression algorithm and that, even with completed triming as it's being done currently, a trimmed script insert the way he seems to be doing things now could very well just produce a glitched ROM which cannot be played to completion due to block overwrites (e.g. when you start a conversation that's been overwritten, you get a flood of garbage in the text window or an outright freeze and can't continue.)

There ARE things he could be doing - working on being able to expand the lines and/or at least working with people who could help. Or at least doing a test insert with the complete shortened script as it currently stands for someone in your group to attempt a playthrough and see if it breaks. I'd really rather not see the translation work go to waste, either. If nothing else, multiple people (particularly active ones) in your group ought to have access to a usable copy of the current translation work (e.g. database or text files) to make sure it can't go to waste if something goes wrong with the current roadmap. Because honestly, I don't expect the current plan to produce a usable patch without some currently-ignored work on _oil's part that I'm not sure he'll do, or necessarily be able to do. Just ensuring the text lines are same uncompressed length or smaller in no way guarantees by itself that the compressed output will be smaller with an algorithm like the GBA's implementation of LZSS - and if it isn't, you break the ROM.

I think skipping even doing an internal complete acid test until the script is 100% 'complete' is a very, very bad idea.

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Thanks TLZ for the honest feedback.

Dear oil, I do sincerely hope you address this issue more clearly. Many of us are worried about you facing difficulties with regards to the patching and hacking of this rom and whether this game is even gonna be playable. Even if a beta isnt being released, I do hope you can test it out and feedback us through some screenshots or something.

oil_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
TLZ:
I knew from the beginning that when recompressing a file it could get bigger than the original. The inserter I made already checks for this and never writes outside of the original area. Right now if a file is bigger it won't insert it into the ROM and it tells me which files don't fit. I don't think this is going to happen since the compressor I'm using seems to compress better than the one used by the game devs.

I managed to find the pointers to compressed files, each script file links to other script files (for example if you're in the town that file is loaded in RAM and when you enter a shop it will point to the file with the script for the shop and load that one). So if a recompressed file gets bigger then it can be inserted at the end of the ROM data and the pointers to it changed. Coding this would take me some time so I don't want to do it unless it's really needed, and that's why I want the line trimming to be complete before I attempt anything.

Reactions: GHANMI and Pablitox

XswordcraftX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Dear oil. Any luck on expanding the lines?

Its rather difficult to think of phrases when only 4-6 spaces are available. I think this should be a priority because its really difficult to condense long sentences to phrases given the word text limit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse