ROM Hack Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey everyone! they latest percentages are:

translation: 99% (proofreading left)

trimming lines: 20% (it's gonna take a while)

By the way, can't you guys check the Swordcraft story 1 and 2 english games to have a reference about the text and such? This is from RyutheXIIIth

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, nothing from Oil_ yet about my findings so far on the script storage? Seemed I found the sizes already, though it will probably take doing the recompress directly instead of just using GBAdecmp to do it to actually change things properly... I want to confirm what I've found so far with him before I do any more research for the pointers.

Oh, and Oil_, what's the offset of the LAST 'file'? That'll be useful in hunting pointers too.

Drybones08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you guys, how's the project going all in all?

My friend and I are here, just anticipating when this happens.

... and reminiscing about how Swordcraft Story 1 ended too abruptly. Our emotions are wrecked from that game... heheh.

Good luck guys, you're saints.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Currently playins Swordcraft Story 2 so this thread is HUGE and PLEASENT suprise for me. Thanks for the translators. Is this thread good place to keep an eye on the progress?

TheZu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Keep in mind that this is easily going to take another 10 weeks or so, let alone the implementation of the script into the game which may require script revision. Why is it most likely going to take another 10 weeks? Because we don't even have 5 dedicated individuals working on the process of rewording sentences to fit them into the harsh character limits the game is throwing at us. Why do we not have more people even though this is a fairly simple job once you get into the rhythm of things? Because people give up way too easily, get overwhelmed by the occasional challenge of condensing a lengthy sentence into 30 symbols, and also tend to get reprimanded by me since I refuse to accept ignorance in terms of proper punctuation and actually writing entire words as opposed to abbreviating them arbitrarily.

That said, I am always willing to help people with their work and we can be the bestest friends as long as you don't half-ass your job like certain undisclosed job quitting individuals who didn't take this seriously.

Since you, the reader, are most likely not the target of this indirect insult towards your linguistic prowess though, I wish you a pleasant day and appreciate the time you've spent reading this~

Reactions: Pablitox

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, slow but steady progress! when certain marks are reached I promise to post here.
Keep in mind that this is easily going to take another 10 weeks or so
Are any of you guys on any sort of IRC channel or the like other than the javascript chat on the translation site? I'm more than a little concerned that you may end up not having the resources to finish at this rate due to losing people on things you may not even have to do. If oil_ and I can sort out the format, the entire shortening process could be dropped in favor of putting the unrestricted script in. I really need to hear back from him before I begin the next stage of that... and there are a few other bumps I suspect you're going to hit even if you do shorten, because that's not the only length limit you're likely up against, thanks to the compression's nature. Which could force another round of really damaging editing with an extremely dubious goalposts (namely, trying to make the script compress well under this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZSS with as much self-similarity as possible.)

Side note: The ROM is already 32MB, which is max for a normal GBA ROM. And shockingly, there's only 250kb unused at the end (I suspect they dumped a lot of SCS1/2 content in there, much of which might be unused, but good luck figuring out which portions.) ...still probably plenty for a script if things are done well, though. Redoing the graphics, on the other hand, would probably be a nightmare, and that just might include changing japanese text that's stored in the form of graphics (e.g. title screen.) Not that any of that's much use until the pointers are found to move things up into that space to begin with, but it's liable to become a concern. Knowing the total size of the script blocks would give a better idea of how much of an issue it's liable to be.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Are any of you guys on any sort of IRC channel or the like other than the javascript chat on the translation site? I'm more than a little concerned that you may end up not having the resources to finish at this rate due to losing people on things you may not even have to do. If oil_ and I can sort out the format, the entire shortening process could be dropped in favor of putting the unrestricted script in. I really need to hear back from him before I begin the next stage of that... and there are a few other bumps I suspect you're going to hit even if you do shorten, because that's not the only length limit you're likely up against, thanks to the compression's nature. Which could force another round of really damaging editing with an extremely dubious goalposts (namely, trying to make the script compress well under this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZSS with as much self-similarity as possible.)

Side note: The ROM is already 32MB, which is max for a normal GBA ROM. And shockingly, there's only 250kb unused at the end (I suspect they dumped a lot of SCS1/2 content in there, much of which might be unused, but good luck figuring out which portions.) ...still probably plenty for a script if things are done well, though. Redoing the graphics, on the other hand, would probably be a nightmare, and that just might include changing japanese text that's stored in the form of graphics (e.g. title screen.) Not that any of that's much use until the pointers are found to move things up into that space to begin with, but it's liable to become a concern. Knowing the total size of the script blocks would give a better idea of how much of an issue it's liable to be.

Sorry TLZ, the only way for us to communicate is through the chat room, and well, here. Oil_ is usually busy, but don't worry, i sent him a message just now so he can answer tomorrow.

oil_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I updated the trimming lines progress. It's at 30% now

There's some untranslated lines at pages 392 378 368 366 364 363 362 354. I checked from page 300 to the end, there may be more in previous pages.

TLZ:
I looked for the compressed file pointers in several different ways, I'm almost sure they aren't uncompressed absolute pointers, so they are either compressed somewhere or they are relative pointers which would be way harder to find. Finding those pointers should be the top priority.

TheZu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There's 450 pages of content with roughly 50 lines each. Each of those ranges between 4 and 36 symbols, blank space included. It feels like the length of a standard academic essay, so 250KB should be more than enough to work with. We're just gonna continue working on the rewording process regardless though, just in case. It's amusing at times, so why not?

speedydemon

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Keep in mind that this is easily going to take another 10 weeks or so, let alone the implementation of the script into the game which may require script revision. Why is it most likely going to take another 10 weeks? Because we don't even have 5 dedicated individuals working on the process of rewording sentences to fit them into the harsh character limits the game is throwing at us. Why do we not have more people even though this is a fairly simple job once you get into the rhythm of things? Because people give up way too easily, get overwhelmed by the occasional challenge of condensing a lengthy sentence into 30 symbols, and also tend to get reprimanded by me since I refuse to accept ignorance in terms of proper punctuation and actually writing entire words as opposed to abbreviating them arbitrarily.

That said, I am always willing to help people with their work and we can be the bestest friends as long as you don't half-ass your job like certain undisclosed job quitting individuals who didn't take this seriously.

Since you, the reader, are most likely not the target of this indirect insult towards your linguistic prowess though, I wish you a pleasant day and appreciate the time you've spent reading this~

i feel identified by this and i am really sorry bout that, i just had my exams and was really stressed, i promise to help a lot more these weeks, oh and i never thought you correcting lines to be disturbing, i think you are really great trimming lines and choosing the right words, i apologize for this too cause i dont have much experience translating game lines but more oficial documents >.<

TheZu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I was talking about those kind of people who make barely any changes, which are not even good by the way, and then leave.

jtbro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made an account just to show my support to this project.

More power to you guys!

p.s: would it help at all if I shared this thread to forums I visit? Summon Knight Swordcraft is really a solid gba game and Im sure plenty of people would be ecstatic when the6 hear about this.

TheZu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Go ahead, but try to prevent individuals below the age of 18 from getting involved. Those who use English as their secondary language and are not already involved in making use of the language in a serious environment outside the internet do not tend to be very reliable either~

Reactions: Pablitox

TLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked for the compressed file pointers in several different ways, I'm almost sure they aren't uncompressed absolute pointers, so they are either compressed somewhere or they are relative pointers which would be way harder to find. Finding those pointers should be the top priority.
I'm gonna need a complete reply to my previous posts before it's worthwhile to go hunting them - the answers will save a lot of needless reinventing the wheel. I have other obligations too, ya know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.