ROM Hack Suikoden Tierkreis Undub Infos here

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sinbatsu said:
Well, the key is ds_data_hed.sdat, I Tried fixing the king event, then desync again when mubal explain the book, fixed, desync again when before naming the fortress. It's like more than 10 dialogues, argh.
What's the process for these individual fixes, anyway?

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
parvulus said:
This pointer stuff is definitely beyond me, but it sounds like the proposed solution of enarky, etc. is what Sara-chan attempted back on page 6...
[...]
So it sounds like it's more complicated to me, and that simply repeating the pointer to a clip 10 times isn't going to fix it. But, I'm a complete layman in this, so maybe I'm mistaken. Thanks a lot for all of your work everyone; I hope someone figures it out!
D'oh, how could I miss that when I somehow processed the information about the ten pointers difference? Must be the short attention span, I guess...

Matsu One

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's actually not that bad later on in the game. Most the characters might be a little annoying, but personally I just get the feel of authenticity when I play something undubbed. It sounds like basically people are going into the files themselves and trying to resync every spot...

I wish I understood how... Haha, I'd be sync-ing and resync-ing all day and night if I needed to.

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Sure wish this could be worked out. I actually played this game on mute (just because that's how I usually play games), and loved the dialog, and character development. I was actually pretty happy with the story progression.

Then one night, I played with headphones. For a long time, there were no voices. I realized that I really liked the music, so things only got better. Then, it happened. Voices. Oh my friggin' god. It really is incredible how bad the voice acting, encoding, and just the whole deal is. It actually took the enjoyment of the game down a few notches. And the thing is, they don't need to be that bad. Why did they need to talk like they're in Speed Racer, it's a game. There's no time frame to cram all the words into.

Ugh, it just saddens me so. Normally I can deal with english voices, but this is too much.

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I'm no techie but I'm still looking at it. Not much I can do but blindly fumble around though ^^
Would be nice if you could play all the files in the vow.sdat file so you could know where the
EU and JAP pointers messes things up, but all I've managed to play is the STRM files in it...
That's 94 STRM files in the EU release and 91 STRM files in the JAP release. None of them are speech.
So the voice files are among the remaining ~5011 pointers in the vow.sdat.

Anyways, kind of hoping someone who actually knows something about these things is looking at it.

I'll continue blindly poking at the hexadecimals, maybe something will jump out
tongue.gif

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The pointers to play with are the ones in ds_data_hed.sdat; fiddling with them at random, I've managed to offset all the sounds, then just all the voices by inserting/deleting 3-byte pointers.

EDIT: I'm poking around at random... it seems that the event in the Magedom (which is where we want to add the buffers to fix the first problem, of course) is somewhere between offsets 1250 and 1370 in ds_data_hed.sdat. I think it's just around 1370 -- maybe starting just before there.

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your right, copied a pointer and pasted it over 10 others and got one of the kings voiceclips during the cutscene when you first meet him (not my save and I'm holding out on the game until we get a proper undub) to repeat itself for 10 lines. This was exactly at 1371h. So somewhere there something needs to be done.

The save is the one from an earlier post in this thread. The Slot 1 save, go to Royal Palace and the cutscene in question starts.

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1350h seems to be the exact adress where the syncing problems begin. Not much more I can do, no idea how to padd the file with extra pointers
frown.gif

But I'll continue searching for info on how to do that as well ^^

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I've been doing is deleting bytes from just before 4270, where there's a bunch of identical pointers, then inserting three-byte buffers at the important points to shift things forward -- I'm hoping the bytes I'm deleting are dummied out sounds or something. Anyway, since they're all identical, it'll be easy to replace them later if they turn out to break something.

Oh, and the pointers are three bytes long, with, for some reason, the middle ones always 00 -- I'm guessing the first part goes above 255 sometimes? Well, whatever. There's probably a better way to do it than this, but for now this suffices to poke around.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok! I've fixed the first Magedom conversation!

To do it, I inserted extra 3-byte buffers (I used 00 00 00, which makes people 'say' the beginning themesong so I can easily tell what I'm fiddling with, but later I'll change it to copying something nearby so they repeat themselves). I inserted these buffers at 134C, two of them (six bytes total) at 1364, one at 138B, and one at 13E5. They possibly could be moved a bit in one direction or the other (I don't know Japanese, so I don't know how it's precisely supposed to line up), but this works well enough.

Additionally, as I mentioned in my previous post, I deleted other things, because moving too much breaks sound entirely (I'll bet there's something defining the size of the whole table that can be changed to avoid this, but I don't know how -- this will do until someone who knows more can fix it.) Instead, I just deleted bytes around 4270, where there's a long string of repeated "A2 00 E6" pointers -- hopefully those are dummies for unused sounds or something. I just deleted one "A2 00 E6" for each "00 00 00" I inserted earlier, which moved all sounds forwards by the correct amount.

I'm going to play a bit more... I assume, from what people have said, that it desyncs again on a later conversation.

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finished with that cutscene atleast ^^

Still, I had some "problems". The way I did it works but it has some undesired side effects. I deleted pointers where Ruri did and added pointers at 134Dh, 135Fh, 1365h and 137Ah. Need one more filler a bit further down which I'm to tired to fill in now
frown.gif
At first I borrowed another pointer close by to pad the file, but then I tried FFFFFFh instead, which works without giving any sounds, BUT it also "mutes" the pointer coming after it. So instead of 1 screen without voiceover there's two. That didn't happen when I used one of the nearby pointers and duplicated them, so I'm guessing it's the fault of the adress I choose?

Any better option than FFFFFFh would be appreciated
ohmy.gif

Edit: But yeah, there will be more. English version has more pages for text, and with each page there's a pointer to a sound clip. Luckily it's just (I hope) in cutscenes, so a full undub will work eventually. Or you can hope that they stick to the same amount of pages for the rest of the game ^^

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend just duplicating a nearby pointer, one with the same character talking. Honestly, as long as it's the right person talking and they don't use any names, who's going to know? If you could understand Japanese, you'd be playing the Japanese version.
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, I can't think of a better option than just having someone repeat themselves... most of the extra lines are in long dialogs, speeches, and lectures, with the same character using the same tone of voice, which few people will likely listen to in detail anyway... and it's the only real choice we have anyway. (IMHO a sudden silence would be more intrusive and more likely to get noticed even if we could do it.)

Anyway, I did the next conversation, too (the one where you need the book, which also needs extra pointers -- my guess is Magedom characters just talk too much, which made the translation fail to match.) I added the buffers for the next conversation at 1472, and three (nine bytes total) at 1478. Geez, that guy talks a lot.

DrkXShadowZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like you guys are still hard at work with the undubbing. Keep it up, everyone! I'd help out too but I have no experience whatsoever with programming... Is there even a guide for undubbing via changing pointers, etc.?

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The castle-naming sequence has another one. Adding a single buffer at 1544 fixes it.

...and no, there's no real guide. We're just poking around with hex-editors and so on and seeing what changes. I guess having some programming experience helps just because you know how it works... but it's not like this is anything advanced like ASM hacking or anything like that, where you'd really have to know what you're doing.

EDIT: Hmm, it won't let me use any name for the castle with the letters "ho" in it (like, say, no "Sweethome", which was what I wanted.) That is stupid. I wonder if there's a way to fix that... I assume it's an insanely stupidly-made obscenity filter, but I tried searching all the files for various obscenities and came up blank, so it's not just there in plaintext...

It's an idiotic precaution, since they even include umlauts and all that junk, so of course you can name your fortress "Fück", but not "Homestead."

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Are you currently only playing around with inserting pointers or are you also aligning all the other pointers to point to correct locations?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill