Hardware Suggestion for GBA flashcart

JamesNannen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried to do research but I still need help.

Since I own a GBA, GBA SP, GameBoy Player, Game Boy Micro, and DS Lite... I want a flash cart that can be played in all those systems. Which is a pain because I have noticed the newer ones are fitted for the DS Lites only.

Since I use a Mac, I dont want it to need software and I would want it to accept clean roms.

I have only owned a R4, so anything that works closely like that would be great. Easy to use, drag and drop, widely used, homebrew.

Rumble is a plus but not necessary (what are there like only like 5 games that support it?) I would be a major plus if I could use the DS browser thingy with the GBA as the expansion.

EZ-Flash IV seems to be my best choice but I want to make sure it will works with clean roms and that the none lite version is compatible with the DS Lite. (it is lame that the EZ-Flash IV is $30 and the EZ-FLash IV Lite is $17) If you have any other suggestions than the EZ-Flash IV.

Thanks in advanced.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The M3 Lite with a GBA shell should do you up pretty good
smile.gif

You can interchange between your GBA systems and your DS Lite by changing the plastic cases.

Plus it's a quality cart, in which I've never had a problem with.

JamesNannen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JPH said:
smile.gif

You can interchange between your GBA systems and your DS Lite by changing the plastic cases.

Does the GBA shell come with the M3 Lite? Or do I have to buy it separately. I cant seem to find it or the shell on dealextreme.com so if you know the link, that would be great.

EDIT: I think i found it http://www.gameyeeeah.com/m3-perfect-lite-...pter-p-871.html Is that it? I still dont understand what is the different between the "vanilla" M3, M3 Simply, M3 Real, M3 Perfect, M3 Rise Of The Machines and all the other M3 with random names. The one i linked to says its only compatible with DS Lite but then it shows about 5 Lite shells in different colors that come with it and then a shell that looks like it would be for a DS phat and GBA.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
JamesNannen said:
JPH said:
smile.gif

Does the GBA shell come with the M3 Lite? Or do I have to buy it separately. I cant seem to find it or the shell on dealextreme.com so if you know the link, that would be great.

EDIT: I think i found it http://www.gameyeeeah.com/m3-perfect-lite-...pter-p-871.html Is that it? I still dont understand what is the different between the "vanilla" M3, M3 Simply, M3 Real, M3 Perfect, M3 Rise Of The Machines and all the other M3 with random names. The one i linked to says its only compatible with DS Lite but then it shows about 5 Lite shells in different colors that come with it and then a shell that looks like it would be for a DS phat and GBA.
Unfortunately, you'll have to purchase them separately.
What's nice though, is that they're dirt cheap (like 25 cents).

I would suggest you to purchase both the M3 Lite and the spare case from RealHotStuff. They've got great service and I've never had a problem with them. Right now, though, their website is down for maintenance.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that you're on a Mac is going to make this difficult. I don't think any GBA flash cart can work without some sort of patching or the use of Windows-only software. Old NOR-based devices used Windows-based flashing software, while NAND-based devices like the M3 Perfect need patching with Windows-only patching software.

Technically the M3 Perfect supports clean roms, but then you lose tons of features and I don't think the game will save directly to your card without it. It would still be your best bet though. Just make sure you get the M3 Perfect and not the M3 Pro. The M3 Perfect Lite will only work if you get the GBA shell with it, otherwise you can try to find an M3 Perfect MiniSD which should sit flush (or within 1 mm or so) within all your devices except the DS Lite.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One option would be the EZ-Flash 3-in-1. It can be used without any PC side software, you just use your DS and any slot 1 flashcart to write a game to it. If you use it with the EZ-V you can put multiple games in NOR with the latest beta loader, though it only has enough memory for a few games. Other flashcarts will only be able to put one game on it at a time.

There is supposedly a 3-in-1+ with more NOR flash memory coming out soon, but that's all the info we have about it so far. No word about a GBA sized 3-in-1+.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is true, and I forgot that you could also flash a Flash Advance Pro cart from within the DS itself, but I'm guessing that the OP is looking for more of a standalone solution that doesn't require the use of the DS to manage everything.

Ikz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most GBA roms don't run clean on any cart because they use EEPROM or FLASH instead of SRAM. Every cart has SRAM as far as I know, and that means the game is patched with an SRAM save patch.

Now, if you had someone patch the games FOR you and upload them, you'd be able to drag and drop without any hassle. Just plug the mini (mine's MINI, not MICRO) SD in and drop the files. I haven't used my IV in a while, but it's reliable, that's for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maxouter @ Maxouter: yo