stupid question

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by jba6511, Jul 9, 2006.

Jul 9, 2006

stupid question by jba6511 at 6:24 PM (1,032 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. jba6511
    OP

Newcomer jba6511 Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    stupid question but.... if i have a g6 lite with passcard3 is there a need to flash the DS Lite? What i guess i am trying to ask is if i hae the g6 lite plugged in and the passcard3 can i simply run the roms off of the g6 lite without having to mess around with the SL1

2. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    that is correct. the sl1 is only for flashme

3. jba6511
    OP

Newcomer jba6511 Member

Featured Posts:
    United States
    thanks

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    If all you want to do is run DS roms then that setup will be fine and you do not need to run flashme upon your DS.
    Flashme is able to get rid of the health and safety screen, it helps guard against Trojan code (they are around but as far as I know nobody has even been hit at all in the last 6 months), reduces battery drain (albeit not really noticeably) versus your nopass, allows execution of certain wifi based homebrew and can make life easier for stuff like DS card save readers.

The only real downside to flashme is you void the warranty and some patchers it seems cause their patched roms and download play to have issues.

5. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    fast, how would one encounter a trojan and how does flash-me prevent such code?

6. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

Featured Posts:
    United States
    ill take this one since hes unavailable [​IMG]
    Although ds trojans are rare, they still exist. Last year, there was a trojan that caused your ds to stop working , and all you would see on your screen was a brick wall. this was from some hentai for the ds, homebrew of course
    Flashme doesnt actually prevent the code, but has a "restore" feature.
    according to the flashme description..
    "Fail-safe feature: The first part of firmware is write-protected with the SL1 contact. In case malware erases the rest, you can still reinstall FlashMe from GBA cartridge by holding START+SELECT+A+B keys."

7. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Just to be pathetically pedantic, it's not technically a virus because it doesn't self-propegate.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    Edit despite my laziness I was still too slow.

Quite a while back Darkfader released some Trojan code as I have typed this out a few times now and can not be bothered to again (read I just got a bunch of DVD's to watch on a new TV), to this end I will take the lazy route and link: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Bricker
    You could get one of those roms (named something else probably) and in theory it might be possible to integrate it with another rom/ piece of homebrew and as the methods used were very simple (not quite script kiddie but close enough) someone could create a new one (this has not happened yet mind).

Flashme adds a bit of code to the area of the firmware that you must short SL1 to write to. This code does not get erased by a bricker (it could pretend to be a flashme update/custom firmware mind which may render this protection useless) and enables you to force flashme booting so you can write the firmware once more.

As I said though I do not think anyone in the last 6 months (at least) has been hit.
    A stock DS does not have such booting possibilities and so gets screwed, you can restore it mind but it far more difficult.

9. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    alright! thanks for the replies and sorry for jackin the thread. guess no hentai on my ds [​IMG]

EDIT: Enjoy the movies/tv!