Hacking stupid question

jba6511

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stupid question but.... if i have a g6 lite with passcard3 is there a need to flash the DS Lite? What i guess i am trying to ask is if i hae the g6 lite plugged in and the passcard3 can i simply run the roms off of the g6 lite without having to mess around with the SL1

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If all you want to do is run DS roms then that setup will be fine and you do not need to run flashme upon your DS.
Flashme is able to get rid of the health and safety screen, it helps guard against Trojan code (they are around but as far as I know nobody has even been hit at all in the last 6 months), reduces battery drain (albeit not really noticeably) versus your nopass, allows execution of certain wifi based homebrew and can make life easier for stuff like DS card save readers.

The only real downside to flashme is you void the warranty and some patchers it seems cause their patched roms and download play to have issues.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fast, how would one encounter a trojan and how does flash-me prevent such code?

ill take this one since hes unavailable
tongue.gif

Although ds trojans are rare, they still exist. Last year, there was a trojan that caused your ds to stop working , and all you would see on your screen was a brick wall. this was from some hentai for the ds, homebrew of course
Flashme doesnt actually prevent the code, but has a "restore" feature.
according to the flashme description..
"Fail-safe feature: The first part of firmware is write-protected with the SL1 contact. In case malware erases the rest, you can still reinstall FlashMe from GBA cartridge by holding START+SELECT+A+B keys."

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit despite my laziness I was still too slow.

Quite a while back Darkfader released some Trojan code as I have typed this out a few times now and can not be bothered to again (read I just got a bunch of DVD's to watch on a new TV), to this end I will take the lazy route and link: http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/DS_Bricker
You could get one of those roms (named something else probably) and in theory it might be possible to integrate it with another rom/ piece of homebrew and as the methods used were very simple (not quite script kiddie but close enough) someone could create a new one (this has not happened yet mind).

Flashme adds a bit of code to the area of the firmware that you must short SL1 to write to. This code does not get erased by a bricker (it could pretend to be a flashme update/custom firmware mind which may render this protection useless) and enables you to force flashme booting so you can write the firmware once more.

As I said though I do not think anyone in the last 6 months (at least) has been hit.
A stock DS does not have such booting possibilities and so gets screwed, you can restore it mind but it far more difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: