Hacking "Stupid noobs keep breaking their G6 Lites!!1"

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
I seem to be reading this all too often on this site, a lot of G6 Lite's are getting corrupt, and everytime it's put down to user error, and to be honest it's a little off putting and has led me to keep using my M3 CF for a little longer, but anyways...

I don't really understand where these accusations are arising from, okay, it's easy to put it down to user error, I just don't understand what exactly the user can do wrong? I mean, you plug the G6 into the adapter, and that into the USB slot in your PC, use the G6 file manager to put some games onto the card, and then remove it all?

There doesn't seem to be much room for error in all of that and I just don't understand why people's G6's are breaking and the people are getting blamed for it.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
..because people will..

* pull the G6 Lite off the USB burner while the USB burner is still plugged into their PC

* plug the USB burner into a USB port without checking to see if the light came on (in other words, didn't plug it in all the way or didn't plug it into a port with enough clearance)

* pull the USB burner out without using the 'safely remove hardware' feature of Windows

* etc.

You'd be amazed at how poorly many people treat their electronics, whether it be on purpose or because they simply don't know any better.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
Qrayzie,

I don't do ANY of those things and am very very careful with my G6 Lite.
If any corruption problems occur, I'll let you know via email asap!

wolfear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
U know , for my psp i always used to put and remove my Memory stick without going to the windows thing for USB removal

I did the same for my G6 the day i received it , i even let the burner connected , then put/remove the card , without using the windows usb removal tool...
the same day , i corrupted it...

But now , and since 2 week , 0% problem , works perfect , why? because i just take care...

but maybe too much , now i even use the windows tool to remove my memory for psp
biggrin.gif

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What exactly happens if a card is curropted,is every game and save lost completely?or is it just that you cant access it through windows.What happens and what does it show when its inserted into the DS?

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first five or six times I used the G6L, I disconnected the USB burner without using safe remove. Of course I did NOT disconnect the G6 cartridge from the USB burner with it connected to the PC; I'm not a fool (just stupid), and it never got corrupted. I didn't even KNOW what safe remove hardware was at the time; it wasn't until I did a search to find out exactly what people were talking about, did I learn about it. I had several icons in my system tray already, and didn't notice the safe remove icon at all.
One thing I did make sure I did was make sure windows wasn't reading or accessing the drive before unplugging it.

It never became corrupted, though, but from that time forward I always use safe remove. I might have been lucky...

FFS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
..because people will..

* pull the G6 Lite off the USB burner while the USB burner is still plugged into their PC

* plug the USB burner into a USB port without checking to see if the light came on (in other words, didn't plug it in all the way or didn't plug it into a port with enough clearance)

* pull the USB burner out without using the 'safely remove hardware' feature of Windows

* etc.

You'd be amazed at how poorly many people treat their electronics, whether it be on purpose or because they simply don't know any better.

Sorry to be making this my first post (a lurker for the last week), but I have been doing ALL of those things and I haven't currupted. Besides, what could possibly corrupt so badly that a format won't fix?

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i dont' care about my SD and so far so good. now that there are 2 micro SD (soon 4) flash carts to choose from i don't know why would anyone wanna use G6 other than no slow downs

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i dont' care about my SD and so far so good. now that there are 2 micro SD (soon 4) flash carts to choose from i don't know why would anyone wanna use G6 other than no slow downs

Gba games + in my case it was easier to get a G6L , than it was to get a mini sd that worked perfect. All the ones than are meant to , are not sold in the uk
rolleyes.gif
or are too hard to get hold of.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry to be making this my first post (a lurker for the last week), but I have been doing ALL of those things and I haven't currupted. Besides, what could possibly corrupt so badly that a format won't fix?

Then you are lucky. I didn't say it was guaranteed someone would corrupt their Lite that way, it's simply because of those actions that they get corrupted in the first place. Yes, a format will fix the corruption but with a total loss of all but your last savegame that's retained in memory.

You may want to take better care or you will join the ranks of the corrupted.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
..because people will..

* etc.

This information along with the other thread about things to do to NOT corrupt the g6 needs to be stickied by mods in my opinion because too many issues and concerns can be taken care of with simple precautions like this. Us old g6 3rd gen users already know how finicky the g6 is about format and learned from experience but now that the g6 lite is more spread out due to the price cut, more people need to be aware of this information instead of 100 different threads about people breaking their cards from not observing these precautions. A lot of it has to do with user error though because if they'd bothered to just read the manual that came with the g6 lite, there are explicit instructions as to how to handle these carts and how to proceed with the format in some broken english but nevertheless very understandable. To answer the guy earlier about what the g6 does when it's corrupted, you'll try to start the g6 loader and it'll say something like "Parameter Fail" blah blah and not let you proceed. But when you put it back in the USB burner you can still see the contents of your u-disk and nothing seems wrong.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
But why so fragile ? Bad component design ??? perhaps.

I never get corrupt files on any of my usb based media devices .. be it flashcards, mp3 players, CF or SD memory cards, mobile phones ect .. I just plug the USB in then transfer the files, then pull USB plug out......something's got be up.

Only time I have seen corrupt files is with my EZ4 when the software errors in the client software mucks up the save file names, so the stupid EZ 4 flash cart it self tries to create one (why??), which ends up in some odd named corrupt file of 0kb's being put on the mem card save folder.

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have yet to have any type of problem with my G6Lite.

- no corruption problems
- no firmware updater problems, and I've updated 3 times.
- no U-disk program problems (with older or newer versions)
- no games freeze-ups (no matter what firmware I've used)
- no lost saves
- no shell problems (too tight of fit into the DS)
- no problems with cart being too tight when placed onto usb reader
- etc, etc, etc.

Maybe it's because I don't try to trim my roms. Maybe it's because I don't use soft reset. Maybe I just have a magical G6 card!

All I know is that I come to these forums every night, and shake my head at all the problems people have been posting. My G6Lite is working wonderfully, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

*Cheers* G6 team
grog.gif

doodad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
martin88 said:
evilreddot said:
I took all the precautions, but it still became corrupted and dead.
This led me to believe that G6 Lite is a unstable flashcart in its core.

If you notice, evilreddot seems to be the only person complaining of a corrupted and dead G6 Lite. Put this down to hardware failure, which is bound to happen in some cases due to the inherent nature of manufacturing electronic devices. I imagine evilreddot's G6 will be replaced if he purchased it from a reputable store.

Now, the software corruption issue is a limitation (or "feature") of Windows -- not the G6 itself -- and I believe if write caching is turned off within Windows, you will be able to plug in/remove the G6 to your heart's content, without fail, providing you are not copying files over at the time. I, myself, have not bothered to try this as I've had no problems taking the necessary precautions -- ie. two seconds to click the Safely Remove Hardware icon.

doodad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm. Interestingly, according to this:
QUOTE(Micro$oft) said:
To mitigate the likelihood of data loss in these scenarios, Windows XP has a refined caching policy for removable storage. As of Windows XP Beta 2, for consumer-oriented removable storage (USB, Flash, Zip, and so on), write caching is disabled by default.
Optimize for quick removal (This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon) is set to default. However, on occasion, I have received the "device cannot be stopped right now" error when attempting to "safely remove" the G6 Lite (and other USB storage devices) from my system, so Windows must still be doing something to it after loading files, for whatever reason.

I guess the message here is, to avoid possible corruption, always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon until Windows says it is indeed safe to remove. Some may have the perfect combination of hardware and software enabling them to forgo this procedure, but why risk it?

Mastershredder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Interestingly, according to this:
QUOTE(Micro$oft) said:
To mitigate the likelihood of data loss in these scenarios, Windows XP has a refined caching policy for removable storage. As of Windows XP Beta 2, for consumer-oriented removable storage (USB, Flash, Zip, and so on), write caching is disabled by default.
Optimize for quick removal (This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon) is set to default. However, on occasion, I have received the "device cannot be stopped right now" error when attempting to "safely remove" the G6 Lite (and other USB storage devices) from my system, so Windows must still be doing something to it after loading files, for whatever reason.

I guess the message here is, to avoid possible corruption, always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon until Windows says it is indeed safe to remove. Some may have the perfect combination of hardware and software enabling them to forgo this procedure, but why risk it?

You'll get that error that you can't safely remove the drive if you have an explorer window browsing the directory structure of the device. It happens to me all the time with portable USB hard drives. As soon as explorer is closed, i can stop it immediately.

doodad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trust me, if that was the issue I wouldn't have brought it up. I imagine it would've been pretty self-explanatory if I had to close an explorer window every time to get it to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Giganutz