Stupid college textbooks

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by jumpman17, Jan 2, 2008.

Jan 2, 2008

Stupid college textbooks by jumpman17 at 10:47 PM (2,192 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    This crap should be illegal. After my last semester ended, about a week later they posted the books I needed for my next semester online. One of them being a book I sold 7 hours earlier from my last semester. Only 3 of my 5 classes had books listed, but it still came to 10 books. So I order about $320 of used books from half.com. 9 have arrived so far:

[​IMG]

Now, less than a week before the new semester, and they post the books needed for the other 2 classes. I need another 6 books. And it's too late to order them online. So I have to pay the prices at the bookstore down there. About another $300.

There is a special place in hell waiting for these bastards, I just know it.

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    This is one of the main reasons why I opted to screw post secondary education. Textbook costs is where they rape you. I would totally feel your pain, but I haven't had to go through it. It's okay though, I've got it just as bad with extra shit like property taxes and stuff [​IMG]

3. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Textbooks are the cheaper things actually. I could buy 8 semesters (or all 4 years of college) worth of textbooks for what I pay for 1 semester of housing. [​IMG]

4. cruddybuddy

Banned cruddybuddy Group: Banned!

United States
    Why don't you just pirate those books?

5. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    I like that "Tomorrow's technology and you". It reminds me of that educational videos of the 50s. Cold war stuff. Back on my days...

6. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Yup, spend $300 on an ebook reader and pirate pirate pirate.

7. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    You know what else sucks? When they change the damn edition of a book And you have to fork out another $100+ for it! Plus they wont even buy back your old book!

[​IMG]

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have yet to experience US/Canada "college" but for me I gave up buying books after the first semester of the first year: a decent library and internet had it sorted.
    Even that first semester was not as bad as you are being out through though: I use the books I got (steam tables aside) to this day and edition matching never was a problem (at worst: look in the contents and find the new page).

9. nexus7412369

Member nexus7412369 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ebook reader on DS. [​IMG]

10. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I get all my books from the library because there's just so many of them, and they are all like £50ea. I've only bought one book which was only because I was interested in it, its going to see me through the last 2 years of my course, i had amazon vouchers anyway, it come with a snazzy DVD of adverts (how fun!) and online access for a year which you can't get through the university copies.

11. Strag0

Member Strag0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The problem is most books are obscure and won't be in ebook form. Though, if you're taking literature classes you might be in luck. Most of them are in ebook form, except for the critical essays and such. The only issue is the pagination.

I loathe college text books, and often I goto class without the book.

12. andywhere

Newcomer andywhere Newbie

United States
    Why not buy textbooks from online bookstore? I get 2 textbooks from a online bookstore and save me more than $200. All the textbooks are BRAND NEW. That's great. You may visit the web to see any help.

http://www.cocomartini.com/
    [​IMG]

13. deufeufeu

Member deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Cote d'Ivoire
    you don't know how lucky you are to still have books this cheap ! This the kind of book you're expected to own starting from master : http://www.springer.com/west/home/generic/...09-22-2282281-0 .
    Yes you've read well the price.. and this one is cheap... some books from springer can go up to 150$ ! [​IMG]

14. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    I had to buy a $170 art history book (and it was labeled vol. 2!) last year. It was like, 800 pages. Heaviest book ever.

15. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    I used that book last semester. And the real kicker? There's nothing in there that someone who has lived in the past decade shouldn't already know unless they have been avoiding technology at all costs by living in a cave or something. And I'm serioud, sadly. It's shit any normal person already knows.

16. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Don't underestimate what you can find on the internet. There are thousands of people pissed about this too, so there is probably a site where you can download them

17. Clements

Newcomer Clements Member

United Kingdom
    I managed to get through University without buying a single textbook. For my field, they go out of date extremely quickly anyway.

18. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    My school is also bad. We pay 440$ a year for books just to rent them.