Stupid college textbooks

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This crap should be illegal. After my last semester ended, about a week later they posted the books I needed for my next semester online. One of them being a book I sold 7 hours earlier from my last semester. Only 3 of my 5 classes had books listed, but it still came to 10 books. So I order about $320 of used books from half.com. 9 have arrived so far:

img0120fb4.jpg

Now, less than a week before the new semester, and they post the books needed for the other 2 classes. I need another 6 books. And it's too late to order them online. So I have to pay the prices at the bookstore down there. About another $300.

There is a special place in hell waiting for these bastards, I just know it.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
This is one of the main reasons why I opted to screw post secondary education. Textbook costs is where they rape you. I would totally feel your pain, but I haven't had to go through it. It's okay though, I've got it just as bad with extra shit like property taxes and stuff
tongue.gif

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the main reasons why I opted to screw post secondary education. Textbook costs is where they rape you. I would totally feel your pain, but I haven't had to go through it. It's okay though, I've got it just as bad with extra shit like property taxes and stuff
tongue.gif

Textbooks are the cheaper things actually. I could buy 8 semesters (or all 4 years of college) worth of textbooks for what I pay for 1 semester of housing.
wacko.gif

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what else sucks? When they change the damn edition of a book And you have to fork out another $100+ for it! Plus they wont even buy back your old book!

hate2.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to experience US/Canada "college" but for me I gave up buying books after the first semester of the first year: a decent library and internet had it sorted.
Even that first semester was not as bad as you are being out through though: I use the books I got (steam tables aside) to this day and edition matching never was a problem (at worst: look in the contents and find the new page).

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I get all my books from the library because there's just so many of them, and they are all like £50ea. I've only bought one book which was only because I was interested in it, its going to see me through the last 2 years of my course, i had amazon vouchers anyway, it come with a snazzy DVD of adverts (how fun!) and online access for a year which you can't get through the university copies.

Strag0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just pirate those books?

Yup, spend $300 on an ebook reader and pirate pirate pirate.

The problem is most books are obscure and won't be in ebook form. Though, if you're taking literature classes you might be in luck. Most of them are in ebook form, except for the critical essays and such. The only issue is the pagination.

I loathe college text books, and often I goto class without the book.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like that "Tomorrow's technology and you". It reminds me of that educational videos of the 50s. Cold war stuff. Back on my days...
I used that book last semester. And the real kicker? There's nothing in there that someone who has lived in the past decade shouldn't already know unless they have been avoiding technology at all costs by living in a cave or something. And I'm serioud, sadly. It's shit any normal person already knows.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't underestimate what you can find on the internet. There are thousands of people pissed about this too, so there is probably a site where you can download them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass