Hacking Stripped down CIA on Luma3DS! Is it a bad idea?

eqagunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi! I'm looking to backup my dumps (backup the backup haha) by converting them to decrypted CIAs while stripping away all CFAs and also plain+logo from CXI thus keeping only exefs, romfs, exh and ncch0header. Planning on patching them region-free as well.

- Will such backup be usable on Luma3DS?
- If yes, what are the downsides of doing the mentioned?
- What is the purpose of plain and logo regions?
- Will it be possible to update those games?
- Could their online features be utilized?
- Is there a risk of getting banned?

Got refurbished new2dsxl via mail today. My first ever Nintendo device. :)
Looking if someone could share some advice on above before I go all Luma3DS on it.
Being new and all I expect things to go wrong, but still eager to tinker with it.

Any kind of help is appreciated!

P.S. I got Poke Ball edition delivered by mistake, instead of Black Turquoise one I ordered.
Out of curiosity, imagine this was your first 3DS device and you ended up with the same mix-up, would you keep it or go and have it exchanged?

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'm looking to backup my dumps (backup the backup haha) by converting them to decrypted CIAs while stripping away all CFAs and also plain+logo from CXI thus keeping only exefs, romfs, exh and ncch0header. Planning on patching them region-free as well.

- Will such backup be usable on Luma3DS?
- If yes, what are the downsides of doing the mentioned?
- What is the purpose of plain and logo regions?
- Will it be possible to update those games?
- Could their online features be utilized?
- Is there a risk of getting banned?

Got refurbished new2dsxl via mail today. My first ever Nintendo device. :)
Looking if someone could share some advice on above before I go all Luma3DS on it.
Being new and all I expect things to go wrong, but still eager to tinker with it.

Any kind of help is appreciated!

P.S. I got Poke Ball edition delivered by mistake, instead of Black Turquoise one I ordered.
Out of curiosity, imagine this was your first 3DS device and you ended up with the same mix-up, would you keep it or go and have it exchanged?
Why?
There's really no reason whatsoever to strip those out at all. They take up practically no space compared to the rest of the game. Why would you want incomplete backups?

eqagunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Why?
There's really no reason whatsoever to strip those out at all. They take up practically no space compared to the rest of the game. Why would you want incomplete backups?
A "why" question was expected. Well, rather an experiment, nothing much to it. Thought of having a special Luma3DS compatible backups, along with regular ones. Also, it opens up the possibility of creating usable CIAs when incomplete CXIs are the only source. I was wondering if they would be fully functional. Planned on writing a batch script for such task and sharing it. As for plain and logo regions, you know, since I'm already stripping CFAs, wanted to see what more can be stripped. The game itself would still be complete, it would just be missing some non-essential files. Citra emulator runs them fine as such. Won't be able to test in Luma3Ds until the charging cable arrives. Had to order that separately.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-snip-
If you like that n2DSXL enough but still feel wronged, ask for a partial refund for their mistake sending you the wrong model.

Reactions: DarkDengar

eqagunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
If you like that n2DSXL enough but still feel wronged, ask for a partial refund for their mistake sending you the wrong model.
Hi! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully GameStop will be willing to do such amendments.
To be honest I expected you will have interest in sharing knowledge about the experimental nature of the questions I had, based on lengths I saw you went for some other members, like changing 3DS' region and undoing CFW to see if it will stick, among others. Guess not. :) Even planned on tagging you in here later on if no one replies.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so you're not really living in Croatia? Are Game Stop stores publicly opened these days? Try returning or exchanging the PokeBall for Black/Turquoise in person (practice social distancing and wearing face mask).

eqagunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Oh, so you're not really living in Croatia? Are Game Stop stores publicly opened these days? Try returning or exchanging the PokeBall for Black/Turquoise in person (practice social distancing and wearing face mask).
A Croatian, but residing in Ireland at the moment. Might be good to swap out that flag. Customer service advised me to send it back via post or do the over-the-counter exchange. Based on that and the opening hours listed on their website I'd assume they are open. If not they will be from June 29th.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Croatian, but residing in Ireland at the moment. Might be good to swap out that flag. Customer service advised me to send it back via post or do the over-the-counter exchange. Based on that and the opening hours listed on their website I'd assume they are open. If not they will be from June 29th.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was taken aback not knowing GameStop exists outside of North America. Original assessment of this situation was that you imported the n2DSXL to Croatia from another country, and the seller/online store setup send sent the wrong one. The suggestion was that with the power of bargaining and threat of the business eating up cost to fix the mistake, you could try to argue refunding some money back. Turn a bad situation into a win for you. Of course, this doesn't work if the business is locally available.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: eqagunn

eqagunn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was taken aback not knowing GameStop exists outside of North America. Original assessment of this situation was that you imported the n2DSXL to Croatia from another country, and the seller/online store setup send the wrong one. The suggestion was that with the power of bargaining and threat of the business eating up cost to fix the mistake, you could try to argue refunding some money back. Turn a bad situation into a win for you. Of course, this doesn't work if the business is locally available.
Well, might be good to to ask for some sort of compensation. Being the first time customer and having to spend time and money on bus to go there they might be willing to slip in a cartridge for free. Won't hurt to ask nicely.

As for the GameStop... USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Germany, Italy, France, Ireland and Switzerland. Although you probably already googled that. :)

Last edited by eqagunn,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-