stretch ambassador VC NES games?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by hksrb25s14, Sep 1, 2011.

Sep 1, 2011
  1. hksrb25s14
    OP

Newcomer hksrb25s14 Advanced Member

United States
    Is there a way to stretch out the NES games? I tried abunch a button combos, no luck.
    wish you can change it, it's too small.

2. Seaking

Member Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    no you can not change it.

remember when people were bitching about DS games looking like crap because they were stretched? would be the same thing with the NES games.

3. Melee54

Member Melee54 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think people were expecting them to be a bit more like the remastered Excitebike game.

And wait a sec, can't normal emulators stretch but still maintain clarity? Obviously it'll look stretched, but I think they can do it without the result being blurry.

4. Adr990

Member Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Netherlands
    Nintendo could have build them to fit the resolution on the 3DS, Seaking.

But no afaik it isn't possible.. or there must be some unpacker and hex edit trick or just a new rom/engine from a other title like the engine GBA soon. (Just dreaming here.)

5. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Err.... no no they could not have built the games to fit the resolution of the 3DS, not without stretching anyways. I wouldn't put it past nintendo to add a stretch option once the final versions of the NES games come out (what we currently have are betas with several options unavailable, especially on-demand save states and wireless multiplayer but other options like changing controller config also likely) but currently there isn't any.

The reason you can't just use some sort of "unpacker" or "hex edit" or "engine" trick is simply because the NES is completely incapable of displaying things outside of it's screen.

In 3d game systems, you can't just load the 3D geometry for only what's being displayed, you load the geometry for the entire scene... which is why newer emulators (N64 and beyond) you can generally hack out a custom aspect ratio... but the older 2D systems can (and had to) stream the 2D room designs and objects in real time... very little of what's offscreen is stored in memory simply because the systems didn't have much memory and instead had to rely on the fast access speeds of the cartridge.