Hacking Stream PC games to Wii U pad wirelessly?

OGTiago

OP
Trophies
Website
google.pt
XP
Country
Anyone know if this will be possible? I saw that there is an app for PC which connects to your Wii U and streams videos to your Wii U and gamepad, using PC as a server. VidiiU I it's called. PC > router > Wii U > Gamepad.

Isn't it in a way possible to stream PC games to Wii U pad by streaming your whole PC screen? This would also require some program/hacking to get Wii U to work as PC controller.
PC > router > Wii U > Gamepad > Wii U > router > PC

Kind of like NVIDIA's Project Shield they showed recently. Obviously with control input over wireless it would have a slight lag, over a local wireless network it wouldn't be too noticeable, also it would remain limited to Wii U's controller range (which in some cases is a pretty long range).

Good idea or not? What would be the most difficult thing about this "hack"?

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
This would require:

• A publically released hack for the Wii U
  • Detailed reverse engineering of the Wireless system used in the Gamepad
  • Detailed reverse engineering of the Video Codec the WiiU uses to stream to the Gamepad (The Gamepad does not render anything, it just recieves a video stream from the WiiU)
  • Writing a program that hooks into both.

So.. Possible. But not until the homebrew scene has matured considerably.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Why go through the console?
Just needs some people smart enough to figure out the ins and outs of the wireless connections the upad goes through with the console and doing something similar with a pc driver.

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
Because the "ins and outs of the wireless connections" would require a wii U level hack to even get.

The gamepad is not like the Dualshock3 where you can just plug it into a PC and figure it put by seeing what commands get sent down the usb cable (Which is how motioninjoy was developed).

The gamepad is an encrypted dumb terminal (almost NOTHING is rendered on the gamepad, except maybe the sync and TV remote functions) using incompatible, proprietary 802.11n, plus an entirely proprietary, unknown super-low-latency video codec to stream high quality video to the device.

As I said, it's POSSIBLE. But it requires a wiiU level hack, a LOT of reverse engineering, and quite possibly needing to crack yet another encryption key to work.

Reactions: OGTiago

OGTiago

OP
Trophies
Website
google.pt
XP
Country
Why go through the console?
Just needs some people smart enough to figure out the ins and outs of the wireless connections the upad goes through with the console and doing something similar with a pc driver.
The technology on Wii U gamepad is different to standard wifi, from what I have read anyway.

Pattonfiend67

You're F'ng Out!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stream using ORB. that vidiiu or whatever looks like garbage. any streaming client will work since it is utilizing an internet connection.

Pattonfiend67

You're F'ng Out!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my bad, all over the developers twitter he says it has to be setup up with your internet connection. maybe i just read it wrong skimming through it so quickly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5