OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've searched the forums and found nothing on this. Is there a reason why no one is translating quality strategy games, such as those developed by Koei? I'm slowly going through Kunitori Zunou Battle - Nobunaga no Yabou with the help of a more Japanese fluent friend. I'd be happy to share what we've translated once I have enough to make it useful. I must say that this game is slick. It deserves to be translated more-so than many others I've seen. From what I've read, there are other strategy titles from Koei that are quite good, but I haven't played them and thus cannot comment on their worthiness.

My question is; why on Earth aren't such games actively translated? It feels like we get only the occasional good strategy game localized while the better ones sit in Japan. Look at Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Ys, Final Fantasy, TWEwY, etc. I'm not saying they suck, but I am saying it's a waste of translation efforts. What's the point in translating those when they get localized anyway? I've seen plenty of posts stating a general disappointment with some of them which makes me wonder, "what's wrong with this picture?"

A decent explanation for this is all I'm looking for. Thanks.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
ACQ said:
I've searched the forums and found nothing on this. Is there a reason why no one is translating quality strategy games, such as those developed by Koei? I'm slowly going through Kunitori Zunou Battle - Nobunaga no Yabou with the help of a more Japanese fluent friend. I'd be happy to share what we've translated once I have enough to make it useful. I must say that this game is slick. It deserves to be translated more-so than many others I've seen. From what I've read, there are other strategy titles from Koei that are quite good, but I haven't played them and thus cannot comment on their worthiness.

My question is; why on Earth aren't such games actively translated? It feels like we get only the occasional good strategy game localized while the better ones sit in Japan. Look at Disgaea, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Ys, Final Fantasy, TWEwY, etc. I'm not saying they suck, but I am saying it's a waste of translation efforts. What's the point in translating those when they get localized anyway? I've seen plenty of posts stating a general disappointment with some of them which makes me wonder, "what's wrong with this picture?"

This is not the place to request translations, if you want to make a request there's a thread for that, probably you didn't really search at all.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Translation projects are driven primarily by interest from translators themselves. If you have an interest in these games, then by all means translate them. Don't complain when other people aren't doing it for you.

ACQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I only wanted to engage in a dialog involving the disinterest in translating games which I'm sure many would agree deserve it. I apologize for attempting to use a forum as a center for discussion.
rolleyes.gif

Unwelcoming fellows such as yourselves make it mighty difficult for me to want to share what I'm working on. Good day.

ACQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was only pointing out games that have been translated AND localized as examples. Notice my use of "etc." Of course you didn't because you people obviously don't read well.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
If a game has a chance at localization, it won't get a full translation, it'll get a partial translation (usually menu) at best. If a game gets announced for localization during a translation (hi noitora), then it's the translators choice of whether or not they want to continue it, and as DarthNemesis said; Ultimately it's the translators choice. If you want something badly you have to do it yourself.

QUOTE said:
I was only pointing out games that have been translated AND localized as examples. Notice my use of "etc." Of course you didn't because you people obviously don't read well.

Way to bash people who's first languages aren't English, jerk.

ACQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for a useful response. I mean it. :-)

I find it difficult to feel guilty for "bashing" people who are obviously quite capable of reading and writing English, as evidenced in their posts.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to shut you down, but you have to understand, we get a lot of people in here who just want everything done for them and a handful who harass translators outright for results. You came off with that sort of entitlement attitude.

Now, if you're earnestly trying to get a project started, what you ought to do is get organized and demonstrate exactly what you have to contribute. You'll have a good chance of finding help if you show that you're serious about finishing a project, whereas nobody will want to waste their time if you just come off as complaining about other people not accommodating your interests.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I too find it somewhat odd the big epic RPGs and similar that take a whole host of talented types several hundred hours each to pull off get picked up while the simpler puzzlers and whatnot fall by the wayside, even more interestingly many end up getting quite far if not all the way (a stark contrast to the 16 bit and earlier consoles).

As for why I suppose because while it involves some effort the text is usually in a relatively nice format and associated hacking problems as well as need for serious formatting is not really there so while I would not say it is easy you can knock a translation out relatively quickly and without too much hassle from technical issues. Also many of these projects ow at least a passing nod to the non-English translation scenes (twewy had a Thai translation that I know helped the English one out, loads of games have had Chinese, several have had Korean and there are others out there).

Regarding disappointment in games my guess is that it is due to the blurred lines between consoles and handhelds these days, many people seem to be after the impossible.

I will however say I am glad some of the games do get translated into English, I would like to believe it keeps the official translators on their toes and after some of the abominations I witnessed on the GBA (looking at lunar legend) as well as the 16 bit and earlier era which is still being corrected to this day (Bare knuckle 3/streets of rage 3 recently got the honour).

ACQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis, thanks to you as well for the reply. :-)

FAST6191, NOW WE'RE TALKING! :-D

Very good points, FAST6191. It is quite true that any translation project will only serve to better build a person's translation abilities, so I must accept every translation as a feat. Thanks for opening my eyes to that. :-)

I'm not actually looking to patch the ROM with an English translation, more just to create a guide for the menus and pertinent informational messages. For now, the story can fall by the wayside for all I care. If we have the time we'll translate that too, but making the game playable is all I'm concerned with at this point. Does anyone know of a different localization of this game? French? Greek? LOL Seriously!

Thanks very much, you have understood the intent of this thread.

Law, if Noitora and Morgawr want to make comments based on fallacious assumptions and they haven't learned enough of the English language to understand my post completely, it is entirely up to them to correct themselves right now. Otherwise they should either ask for clarification or remain silent.

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Law said:
If a game has a chance at localization, it won't get a full translation, it'll get a partial translation (usually menu) at best. If a game gets announced for localization during a translation (hi noitora), then it's the translators choice of whether or not they want to continue it, and as DarthNemesis said; Ultimately it's the translators choice. If you want something badly you have to do it yourself.

QUOTE said:

Way to bash people who's first languages aren't English, jerk.

QUOTE(ACQ @ Mar 5 2009, 10:03 PM)
Thanks for a useful response. I mean it. :-)

I find it difficult to feel guilty for "bashing" people who are obviously quite capable of reading and writing English, as evidenced in their posts.

Wait wait, ACQ is right. I apologize for not having read carefully enough. Actually, I did read it but I just wanted to whine about something, sorry it's my fault and I shouldn't have behaved like this.
About the fact that I'm not English (if that comment was directed at me), don't worry.. I consider myself more English than Italian. At least in the language, since it's been a while since I started thinking, dreaming and reasoning in English instead of Italian because I consider it easier and more comfortable (my Italian teacher at school hates this and she gives me bad marks because my sentence construction is in English though the language is Italian and I make lots of mistakes XP). So yeah, I can fully understand English so it was just my fault all along. Sorry once again ^^

EDIT: Lol, I actually just corrected myself, without having read your last post... Hope this makes up for my mistake...
frown.gif

ps: are the forums slower than normal now? It takes me ages to load a single page...

ACQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Morgawr, you're a noble person that deserves my respect. I accept your apology and consider our initial meeting water under the bridge. Many more could learn from your example. :-)

For everyone, I can completely understand how one could jump to the conclusions that some did. I'm sure you get plenty of members who just expect you all to translate games for them without any regard for the forum rules, or the difficulty of accomplishing such a task. I imagine it's quite irritating and old at this point. That doesn't excuse such a response, but I do understand why you would respond that way.

Man, I feel cheesy, but I meant everything I said. I have more fun as my sarcastic and semi-trollish self. :-P

EDIT: Yes, the forums are slow right now. Ugh.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
As Darth said, translators usually translate games they are interested in. There's not that many people willing to spend hours of hacking, testing, and translating on a game they don't even enjoy or care about. If you actually like the game, that gives you incentive to work on it and do a good job.

Games like Disgaea, Pokemon, and so on have gotten partial translations (menus, items, skills, whatever) because of several reasons:
-Maybe the NA release date was too far away. (Like in the case of the Pokemon Platinum translation)
-The games were very popular and a lot of people wanted to get an early peek at them, but also wanted to be able to understand what they were doing.
-The translation was meant to be a quick, simple translation of the menus and such to allow users to play through the game without knowledge of the Japanese language. They won't understand the story, but they'll be able to see what the game is about. (Pretty much the same as the point above)

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ACQ said:

A translator only translates if they are sure that the romhacker has the ability to complete the project. The romhacker only does a romhack to what seems possible with their skills, or whatever they have interest in.
Also, it is really hard to work on multiple translation projects at once. So, considering the facts, those "quality strategy games" will get its translation when the romhacker wants to start it. Don't expect people to ONLY choose what looks like the best game. If you look at the korean romhacking community, some people just choose a game in random and start a translation for it, even though it can be considered shovelware to us.

Also, nobody can say anything about official translations - it will be translated if the developers want it released outside Japan. Again, never force or expect people to translate what YOU think SHOULD be translated, because they choose the best choice for them. The main reasons why romhackers quit in the middle can be because of lack of translators, or because of technological problems. However, the number 1 reason is because they get bored with the game. That's the reason why romhackers should never feel forced to do something, and they should stick with what they want to do.

There is NEVER a waste of translation effort. Experiencing is learning, at trying something new will always help. People translate because they want to.
Let's use a little bit of analogy. Why learn algebra, calculus or physics at school? I'm not saying they suck, but I am saying it's a waste of time. What's the point in memorizing equations that you will never see in your life again?

If all people at translation attempts start to say bad stuff about it, it only discourages the romhackers. (As I am right now, because I was working on the YS DS translation project before an official release was announced)

Just think of it this way - most of these translation projects start to benefit the romhackers, and only release their work for others.

Also, It's a Wonderful World (TWEWY) and YS DS's translation projects started even before the games were announced for an English release. How can we know that a Japanese game will be released in different languages? The most recent example would be Spectral Force Genesis. The translation project for that game started some time ago, but an announcement for a European release was just announced recently.

So rather than a waste of time, it would be more of an unexpected official release.

ACQ

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, this is why I started this thread. You have answered the questions floating around in my head. At this point I plan to keep on translating Kunitori Yabou blah blah. Whether it's of use to anyone really makes no difference to me. It's a learning experience at this point.

Is it expected that someone hack the ROM with translated text? Is that absolutely necessary? I have no experience digging through hex and recompiling ROM files. From what I understand, translating is the easy part when compared to hacking the ROM.

And as for what's worth translating, that's entirely based on one's opinion. I say this game is worth translating when you compare it to the rest of the English strategy games available right now. The list is short. It begins with Advance Wars and ends with Age of Empires (which barely makes the list). Trust me, I've played every English translated NDS strategy game and the selection is almost shit compared to what's available in most other genres.

Thanks again for the quality responses. :-)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No love for Anno 1701 - Dawn of Discovery or Civilization Revolution?

Back on topic to be a rom translation then yes it has to be wound into the game (not sure if making a superbly made text file for the carts that support it counts), many people still appreciate guides though. Also extremely few people outside of the European languages translation scene (English to whatever) are one man teams and while it helps to know the other persons craft a bit you do not need to know rom hacking through and through to be a translator.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
ACQ said:
Is it expected that someone hack the ROM with translated text? Is that absolutely necessary? I have no experience digging through hex and recompiling ROM files. From what I understand, translating is the easy part when compared to hacking the ROM.
To help answer your question think whether there is any use in translating a game when you can't get your translated text into the game?

Like it was already mentioned for a game to be translated there needs to be someone interested in seeing the game translated and willing to hack the ROM. Even if you are willing to translate everything, if you can't find someone with the skill and interest to hack the ROM, its not going to happen.

Well, there is one more possibility and that's if someone make a program where you extract the text edit and re-insert, this is possible for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum because someone made such a program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1