Hacking Strange files appearing on my SDHC card

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I bought an Acekard 2 along with a 4gb Micro SDHC card a few months ago. Until now its been running great. I had to use System Recovery on my computer (which resets all your system files without touching your personal files) and since then i've had a few weird things happening with my Micro SDHC.

The first thing is these strange files that appeared in my Moonshell folder. They just appeared out of the blue one day while I was adding files. They have strange file names (without extensions) that consist mainly of squares and other strange symbols. The really strange thing is that there are like 8 or 10 of these files total and they each say that they're like 3.5gb or more.

The other strange thing is that when I try to eject my SDHC card, it acts like it is ejecting it but it doesn't disappear from the "My Computer" folder like it used to. Instead it just sits there and when I try to click on it (right or left) it bogs the computer down for 10-15 seconds and then returns to normal but the SDHC drive is still listed there. I've been just pulling the card out while its in this state.

I've thought of reformatting the entire card but I have like 2gb worth of stuff on there and I can't seem to get all of it off. I have backups of most of it, should I just get my savefiles and anything else that I cant replace and reformat or is there another way to get rid of those weird files?

Here's a picture of the folder with those strange files in it... Well.. One of the two folders with strange files in it anyhow.

wtffiles.jpg

swimmeringer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time this happens to me my card deletes all my files very soon after. My only solution was to back up all the non-messed up files (the ones i actually put on it, not the ones that showed up) to my computer, reformat my card, and copy them back.

I know it's not optimal and some of your files seem to be missing, but it's the only solution I found. Hope this helps.

P.S. It's happened to me 3 times thus far on 1 card

camintmier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happened is that your SDHC card's file system is corrupted. This has happened to me a few times too. I seriously hope you have a recent backup of the card stored on your computer, as the only thing that will surely fix the card is a full reformat. Sure, you could run a chkdsk /f on it, but that probably won't work fully. If you don't have a recent backup, just copy off what un-funky files you can, format the card, then copy the files back. There's been a few times I've had to fully rebuild the data on a card from the ground up, so good luck.

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I figured you guys would say that the only way to get it back to normal was to reformat the entire disc so I just went ahead and started over from scratch. Luckily I had about 80% of the files still on my HDD (call me a pack-rat, but it takes a lot of time to track some of this stuff down!) and I was able to get all of my save files off the SDHC card except for my Soma Bringer one...
frown.gif
15 hours of gameplay, but at least I got the rest of it back.

Now I gotta figure out how to get Moonshell to work again, I think i've put the wrong .nds in there, problem is I can't remember which one I used before that worked!

Oh and I knew about Alt + Print Screen, but I thought you guys might like my Krillin background.
biggrin.gif

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Like said, it was corrupted. EIther by:

1. A bad download

2. the System Recovery apparently fucked it up

3. your cheesy background did it.

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have Moonshell working and everything is back to normal again.

Its tough not to think that the System Recovery had something to do with it, but the card was in my DS on the other side of the room when I did the recovery. Still, I suspect that using the card before my computer was updated again had something to do with the files being corrupted. I think they appeared when I tried to put a few video files on the SDHC card, but I don't think it was them because I converted them from .ogg files into .dpg myself.

It worries me that people are saying they've had this happen to them several times before. I guess i'll have to skim through my SD card every few weeks and make sure there's no virtual tom-foolery taking place.

And Krillin will kick Mr. Saturns head off. Err his body, er whatever.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
If you're using DSOrganize, use v3.1129. Not sure how valid this is since I haven't been in the DS scene for so long. Apparently 3.2 (and higher) corrupt the microSD frequently.

And seriously, you didn't need to format it so quickly...
wacko.gif
Most of the time going into command prompt, and running a "chkdsk /f x:" where x is your drive letter of the microSD will fix up any corruptions, at least temporarily so you can pull things off to save them and reformat.

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't want to jump in there and reformat as quickly as I did either, but I kind of decided that it was between spending an hour getting my shit backed up and reformatted or spending 2-3 hours trying to find certain files on the web again if the whole card crashed.

I also didn't know about the chkdsk thing, but I have it written down now and will try it if I have any more problems. I do appreciate the help guys.
smile.gif

swimmeringer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you said earlier, a scan every once in awhile couldn't hurt, but also make sure you back up your save files too. It saves a lot of frustration later.

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nessie said:
Like said, it was corrupted. EIther by:

1. A bad download

2. the System Recovery apparently fucked it up

3. your cheesy background did it.

For me that corruption was caused by a cheap card reader x/ happened about 5 times, now with my new reader it works without any problems since months

Grimm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I bought my micro SDHC card and Acekard 2 I got a reader with each of them. I tried using the reader that came with the SDHC card first (its shaped like an SD card) but it wouldn't work, so I tried the one that came with the Acekard (its shaped like a USB Flash drive) and it worked so thats what i've been using. Is there any preference between the two kinds?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night