Storm Chasers

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by NeoSupaMario, May 9, 2012.

May 9, 2012

Storm Chasers by NeoSupaMario at 3:16 AM (1,427 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. NeoSupaMario
    OP

Member NeoSupaMario GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus

United States
    Do you think they're stupid or smart to chase tornadoes? Also do you like storms and or tornadoes? Why or why not?

2. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    It's their lives. If they want to put their own lives in danger for the sake of science, then more power to them.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Did you know we have very little information on tornadoes and hurricanes and one of the best ways to receive more is from what the storm chasers do?

No? You didn't? I didn't think so.

4. C-Kronos

Member C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think it's a matter of being stupid or intelligent when it comes down to it.. They're doing what they enjoy, and it's beneficial to science to some extent. Besides, you have to remember, people that are in this field are more than likely taking precautions of some sort, such as a place to take shelter, armored vehicle, etc.

Now, if you were to ask what people think of people when they substitute the word "you" for "u," you'd get a lot more replies.

I find it hard to believe we have "very little" information on tornadoes and hurricanes.. We have a good amount of information, but there is probably a lot to be expanded on, and "chasing" the storms is a good way to go about that.

5. NeoSupaMario
    OP

United States
    There are these wonderful thongs called drones and robots, and they're alot more expendable than human lives.

6. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    LOL. Implying these drones and robots don't get destroyed because of, oh I dunno, the high wind speeds? The reason these storm chasers have ARMORED VEHICLES that are ROOTED THE GROUND? :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. C-Kronos

United States
    I think the expendable bit depends on the person you're asking, since these cost a lot of money.. I know it seems horrible to value a machine over a person, but some people, such as the people paying for such devices, may feel differently. I mean, look at the Air Force, it's obvious they value the F-22 over the lives and safety of their pilots.

8. NeoSupaMario
    OP

United States
    You can do the same thing to robots and drones. I mean, we've flown planes in and out of hurricanes to collect data, and some of them were drones.

EDIT: I was replying to sg232s last post

9. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    You seem to think everything can be done with a wish. That shit costs tons of money, and as C-Kronos already mentioned no one wants to spend it.

10. C-Kronos

United States
    Agreed, it really all depends on the materials used to construct the devices, and how they're being "deployed."

11. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    At least, not unless they are certain it can bring more money...

12. NeoSupaMario
    OP

United States
    weather scientists want to spend it. To find out more about how to predict tornadoes

13. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Not really. Hence why they, y'know, don't spend it. Most likely because they don't have it/don't have enough. No one spends it because there's no significant profit to be made yet. Just because you're a scientist doesn't mean you have access to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

14. C-Kronos

United States
    Just because a scientist wants the funding to do it, doesn't mean they'll get it.. You seem to be implying that scientists in the field are on average, multimillionaires.. That's a pretty adorable thought; although, a bit too much fluff if you ask me.

How is it going to bring more money? I mean, good results may bring about more funding from the organization they're with, but I highly doubt stuff in the weather field is going to be ground-breaking enough to bring about the obscene amounts of cash needed for such devices.

Please tell me you're not being serious.. Everyone, just stop replying to this person, they're way too naive/ignorant to hold an intelligent conversation with.

3 people like this.
  15. NeoSupaMario
    OP

United States
    I know. But they can save up. Like I did to get my first Gameboy.

16. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    This is why no one likes you.

3 people like this.
  17. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    Exactly my point, and that's why as whole, human lives are more expendable... if they are only going to lose money by sending drones and the like the incentive will be not be to continue in such a manner... If a greater profit would be yielded, the incentives would change...

18. NeoSupaMario
    OP

United States
    Lol I was just joking. But on a more serious note, don't those huge armored tanks the storm chasers use cost as much as a drone (when you include the cost of equipment)?

19. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    IIRC, I think one of the armored vehicles cost...around $80,000 total and depending on the tornado it's in potentially takes >$1000 to fix (if any damage). The second armored vehicle was more expensive I think...

And again, none of these scientists probably have the money to just buy these things. Why do you think there's only like...3 or 4 armored vehicles dedicated to storm chasing? Shit's expensive.

20. NeoSupaMario
    OP

United States
    Yeah I know... Just sayin.