RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well... It's basically all in the title. Shortly before Wii Version 4.0 was released my SD Card Slot broke, so I never got the chance to update toe 4.0 without keeping all my system hacks. However, I have a Loadmii Channel on my Wii, so I can launch Homebrew from an USB Stick. I got a free download ticket for the Virtual Console version of Metroid (NES) for preordering Metroid Prime Trilogy from Nintendo today. However, since I still have Wii Version 3.2 I can't get into the Wii Shop Channel, which sucks a lot. So I wonder: Is there a way to update to the latest Wii Version with only an USB device? Or is it at least possible to update the Wii Shop Channel seperately (through USB or maybe WiFi) without updating the Wii version? I should also mention that I already have the Homebrew Channel installed. I also have D-Jay's MiiWii package installed, so I can launch any disc from the Disc Channel.

EDIT:
Damn typo... I meant "stuck" not "stock"
frown.gif

henkp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In the homebrew channel you can launch DOLs from your pc using the command-line and your wii's IP-address. That way, you can safely use waninkoko's 4.1 update patch. Then, you can use preloader again (don't forget to backup your nand! Saved me from a couple of bricks) and there you have it!

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK, I tried that. I launched Waninkoko's Firmware Updater 4.1 via Network and it downloaded all the packages. However, when it tried to install Firmware 4.1 E it failed and I got the error:

"ret = -10385" or something like that, can't remember the exact error code. Any suggestions?

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK, I did all of that and successfully updated my Wii firmware to 4.1 E, but now I'm fucked. I can't use preloader because it requires hacks.ini to be on an SD card. I can't install BootMii because it wants to create a log file on an SD card. I can't backup my NAND, either, because it is done on an SD Card as well. On top of that Metroid Prime Trilogy wants to install an update now since I couldn't install the Preloader hack to stop it from doing so. Help anyone?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The homebrew channel can load apps from a USB device so whats the problem
the only thing that doesn't work is bootmii (and maybe preloader hacks)

install preloader anyway (it doesn't need a hacks.ini to install)
and run the games with a loader (like geckoOs), no other choice

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Preloader requires the hack.ini on an SD card! It can't install the Systemmenu hacks otherwise. The only point for me to even have Preloader is to skip Disc Updates. So I installed Preloader from my USB device, thinking I could install that Systemhack... Well of course not, SD Card required! In fact now everything is worse then before, since I have that damn CD Spin bug. On top of that it now loads Preloader everytime I start my console, even if I set "Autoboot" to "Systemmenu". Great! I am so pissed about preloader that I even installed the disc update just to remove preloader. But guess what: IT'S STILL THERE! Is there a way to remove preloader at all? I rather have an unmodded Wii then support such a crappy homebrew that isn't even compatible with an USB device and where half the important things don't work. I mean what's the point?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn, thats not supposed to happen
mad.gif

Well, if you want to get rid of it, update or reinstall your system menu.

I can help you to get everything you want, like 4.1 or 3.2 WITH hacks (no internet or SD needed if you have HBC)
Just reply if you're interested

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, I'd appreciate that. As I said: Installing the disc update (which is supposed to update the Wii version) did nothing. Relaunching the Firmware Updater 4.1 didn't do anything, either. So what should I do
frown.gif
? I still have HBC (1.0.3) and I also have a LoadMii channel. That means I can launch stuff via network or USB device.

My main attempt now is to remove preloader. After that, if that is possible without SD card support, I'd like a hack that skips disc updates and that lets me launch backups from disc channel. However, if it's not possible without SD card, then I'm fine without it. I wonder, though: Does Backup Launcher Gamma still work on Wii Version 4.1 and with USB device?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RPG Hacker said:
Yeah, I'd appreciate that. As I said: Installing the disc update (which is supposed to update the Wii version) did nothing. Relaunching the Firmware Updater 4.1 didn't do anything, either. So what should I do
frown.gif
? I still have HBC (1.0.3) and I also have a LoadMii channel. That means I can launch stuff via network or USB device.

My main attempt now is to remove preloader. After that, if that is possible without SD card support, I'd like a hack that skips disc updates and that lets me launch backups from disc channel. However, if it's not possible without SD card, then I'm fine without it. I wonder, though: Does Backup Launcher Gamma still work on Wii Version 4.1 and with USB device?

You already said you updated to 4.1 right? No disc (or official update) CAN update your Wii system menu version anymore than that. The most recent system menu update on ANY game disc to date right now is 3.4. If a game ever asks for an update when you are above that, it is basically just to install an IOS that it needs or it has some IOS versions that are more recent than ones on your Wii.

In order to remove preloader you have to physically install a 4.1 system menu wad over it with wad manager. Also note that preloader can directly launch .dol files as well.

You should be able to install like an autoboot NeoGamma R6/R7 channel or something and use that channel without needing an SD card, not positive on it, but I don't think it requires anything written to the SD card. If you want to do any usb loading, that should work too, but you would have to hold down 1 when booting the channel to go into it's options and select the game you want to load from the usb drive. (if that's how the channel you install works)

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nabster92 said:
You already said you updated to 4.1 right? No disc (or official update) CAN update your Wii system menu version anymore than that. The most recent system menu update on ANY game disc to date right now is 3.4. If a game ever asks for an update when you are above that, it is basically just to install an IOS that it needs or it has some IOS versions that are more recent than ones on your Wii.

Well it's basically what the game's instruction manual told me. It told me

Instuction Booklet said:
When you insert the disc for the first time, you're prompted with an update wich is necessary to play this game. It also removes unauthorized software on your Wii system."

When I still had 3.2 E and working preloader, I never did that update and still was able to play the game. Then yesterday with no working preloader and firmware 4.1 E I got the update. It didn't seem to do physically do anything, though.

nabster92 said:
In order to remove preloader you have to physically install a 4.1 system menu wad over it with wad manager. Also note that preloader can directly launch .dol files as well.

A system menu wad? I wonder: Where can I even get those (if at all)?

QUOTE(nabster92 @ Sep 13 2009, 01:59 AM)
You should be able to install like an autoboot NeoGamma R6/R7 channel or something and use that channel without needing an SD card, not positive on it, but I don't think it requires anything written to the SD card. If you want to do any usb loading, that should work too, but you would have to hold down 1 when booting the channel to go into it's options and select the game you want to load from the usb drive. (if that's how the channel you install works)

Nah, I think you misunderstood my question. I don't want to start games from USB. I just want to start Backup Launcher from an USB Device and then make it read the disc in the Disc Channel. Is that possible?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RPG Hacker said:
nabster92 said:

Well it's basically what the game's instruction manual told me. It told me

Instuction Booklet said:
When you insert the disc for the first time, you're prompted with an update wich is necessary to play this game. It also removes unauthorized software on your Wii system."

When I still had 3.2 E and working preloader, I never did that update and still was able to play the game. Then yesterday with no working preloader and firmware 4.1 E I got the update. It didn't seem to do physically do anything, though.

nabster92 said:

A system menu wad? I wonder: Where can I even get those (if at all)?

QUOTE(nabster92 @ Sep 13 2009, 01:59 AM)

Nah, I think you misunderstood my question. I don't want to start games from USB. I just want to start Backup Launcher from an USB Device and then make it read the disc in the Disc Channel. Is that possible?

The manual says that to scare people from hacking their Wii, it doesn't magically know how to remove everything done to your Wii. The fact that you were able to play it on 3.2 without doing the update already nullifies their statement of it being "necessary to play this game". All the update did was update some IOS's that you had older versions of than it had on the disc.

You can legally get a 4.1 system menu wad of your region through NUSD (see how to use it and get the file you want in xzxero's offline portion of his guide in the stickies), or you can try to google a wad and hope it's legit (use NUSD).

As for a backup launcher, why would you want to start up a backup launcher...then make it read from the disc channel? Why not just load it from the backup launcher channel like you normally would?

My statement still stands that you should be able to install an autoboot NeoGamma R6/R7 channel wad and pretty much just use that channel on your system menu just as you would the disc channel, but just click a different box. Wouldn't ever even need to worry about any disc updates loading through it.

You would use your USB device to install the wad itself, then you shouldn't even need anything to use the channel at all.

I believe THIS wad should suffice for an R7 autoboot channel (source of that link is from THIS thread)

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nabster92 said:
The manual says that to scare people from hacking their Wii, it doesn't magically know how to remove everything done to your Wii. The fact that you were able to play it on 3.2 without doing the update already nullifies their statement of it being "necessary to play this game". All the update did was update some IOS's that you had older versions of than it had on the disc..

Well you have a point there. I never thought about that. I thought it would remove the most common hacks or whatever.

nabster92 said:
You can legally get a 4.1 system menu wad of your region through NUSD (see how to use it and get the file you want in xzxero's offline portion of his guide in the stickies), or you can try to google a wad and hope it's legit (use NUSD).

Hmm... "NUSD"? Is that the name of a homebrew or what do you mean by that?

QUOTE(nabster92 @ Sep 13 2009, 10:23 AM)
As for a backup launcher, why would you want to start up a backup launcher...then make it read from the disc channel? Why not just load it from the backup launcher channel like you normally would?

That's simple. I just don't want to have all too many non-unauthorized channels on my Wii and I want to have my Wii as close to an unmodded Wii as possible. I used to have that channel, but I removed it again because... Well I just didn't want it. Hombrew Channel I won't remove because - well - it is necessary to start most homebrew + it at least somehow looks like a real Wii-Channel. Plus the Backup Loader Channel has kind of this "Hey look, that guy illegally downlaods Wii gamse" feeling to it. When you just have it on your USB Device, people don't pay that much attention. I could go on with the list, but you get the idea. I simply don't want it as a channel.

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK, this looks pretty decent and seems to work with an USB device. However, I have to remove Preloader first to use it. I'll try what nabster92 said and then install StarPatch.

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK! I installed Wii Firmware 4.1 E today and everything worked fine! Preloader is gone and no bricks
smile.gif
! I also installed Star Patch and it seems to work fine. Well I didn't really get a chance to test it, since I already have the newest version of everything on my Wii and I wouldn't get the disc update anyways, but I'll just assume it works. Finally no more stupid CD spinning bug!

One question I still have in mind, though: I came across this tool by Waninkoko named "Menu Patcher 1.2". In the description it says that it lets you boot Wii Games from your disc channel. I wonder: Is there anyone here who is familiar with that patch and knows if there is any risk with it on my current Wii system (which now is mostly an unmodded Wii, since I installed the original Firmware 4.1 E)? If there is a too high risk (I know there is ALWAYS a small risk of bricking your Wii) then I'll just use Backup Launcher Gamma from ma USB Device.

Thanks for everyone who helped me with this so far!

mattjd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you want to use that it is OK to use it only patches something in the RAM so if anything goes wrong you can reboot and poof its gone.

But if you want the latest IOS and want to play backups via disc channel I would recommend CIOSCORP 3.4 (Please read the read me of CIOSCORP before attempting to install) The spining bug in preloader is easy to fix btw there is a setting in the settings of preloader to turn off the constant spin.

Preloader can autoboot menu patcher on start up so you dont have to run on HBC everytime but I think it requires an SD card XD

Make sure you have cIOS rev14 installed
tongue.gif

RPG Hacker

OP
Trophies
Website
rpg-hacker.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
mattjd said:
But if you want the latest IOS and want to play backups via disc channel I would recommend CIOSCORP 3.4

Tried three times, failed three times. Don't know if it was because of the fact that I didn't use an SD Card or if it had other reasons. Everything I know is it failed. Well I guess I'll just give it up here. It doesn't seem like there is any good way to have my Wii the way it was when I had system menu 3.2 E. Loading from USB stick is fine anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, you mean
    furries.
    Veho @ Veho: Ah, you mean furries.