Stereotypical opinions of muslims

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Blood Fetish said:
Sure, all societies objectify different groups to certain degrees. I don't think that means we should be so dismissive. For example, just because the US has fashion magazines does not mean they have no ground to talk about Muslims forcing women to cover their entire body, stoning them to death because the husband decides he is bored of her and wants a new partner, etc. Those are not equal things.

I never said we should be dismissive of it, I was actually agreeing with you. I'm all for the discussion and criticism of these elements of Islam. The stoning to death of women because the husband decides he is bored of her is a little over the top though. Although I don't doubt it goes on in countries like Yemen and Afghanistan, there really is no need for something like that in Islam as all a bloke needs to do to divorce his wife is basically repeat a phrase and they're divorced. In these times it can even be done over a mobile phone.

Women are given the rough ride in Islam though. That's not to say that there aren't individual Muslims that treat women as equals and give them respect, but the political and social elements of Islam treat women in a very poor way. Islamic countries that implement the Sharia legal system (rules and punishment) can be barbaric in their treatment of women, specially when they take it literally with no leeway in the interpretation of the laws. Like this news story example : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7147632.stm

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have not any
smile.gif

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people are just too ignorant to realize the bad in their own religion, or look down on other peoples religion. How come people don't say "OMG SUICIDE", when they think about Christians? (crusades)

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hikaru said:
Some people are just too ignorant to realize the bad in their own religion, or look down on other peoples religion. How come people don't say "OMG SUICIDE", when they think about Christians? (crusades)
So let me make sure I am understanding your post.

You imply that all religions have "bad" parts.
You state that people are "ignorant" for looking down on the bad parts of religions.
You proceed to look down on Christianity for something bad.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hikaru said:

Probably because this was 900 years ago? And how many people you can find today saying that crusades were good?
We should also not forget that Crusades were done at this time by Islam too (for example by Saladin) or how do you think people got muslims?
Its always the same way, Christianity and Islam have a lot blood on their hands by forcing people into their religion.

i think its even a mistake to mix crusades and suicide Bombers or terrorism with Islam, they are all different things.

But let's not forget one thing, Religions always divide people and are a good way to brainwash them into hate and war.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Believe it or not I never knew it was the MUSLIMS everyone hates.
I'm a Muslim and all, but I thought the Arabs were hated.
(Not that I hate Arabs I actually find them interesting)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
TheTwoR's said:
Believe it or not I never knew it was the MUSLIMS everyone hates.
I'm a Muslim and all, but I thought the Arabs were hated.
(Not that I hate Arabs I actually find them interesting)

Muslims are currently the global scapegoat in the same that Jews were the German scapegoat in the 1920's/30's.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
tehnoobshow said:
taktularCBo said:
But let's not forget one thing, Religions always divide people and are a good way to brainwash them into hate and war.
if u say so mate....u sound like a typical atheist to me

Why is that? I actually agree with him on the fact that religion divides people and there is also a certain amount of brainwashing involved.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
tehnoobshow said:
Hikaru said:
Religions always divide people and are a good way to brainwash them into hate and war.
if u say so mate...u sound like an atheist to me

I believe that Religion is something personal, between u and God, so I will not tell you what I believe and what I don't, but Im for sure a guy which looks with a lot criticism on all Religions without judging, I mean if you like to follow the Bibel, Koran etc. you're welcome to do, as long as you don't restrict what other people believe.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LeoSan said:
I just don't share the horrible gender discrimination of your religion, but whatever, it's your culture and I respect that.
You shouldn't respect it. Not at all. It is disgusting, and sexism of any type has no place in modern day society. If that sexism is part of a religion, then that shouldn't make it exempt from public outrage. I applaud the French government for its ban on wearing burkhas in public.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
LeoSan said:
I just don't share the horrible gender discrimination of your religion, but whatever, it's your culture and I respect that.
You shouldn't respect it. Not at all. It is disgusting, and sexism of any type has no place in modern day society. If that sexism is part of a religion, then that shouldn't make it exempt from public outrage. I applaud the French government for its ban on wearing burkhas in public.
I don't.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Thoob said:

This is one of those times where two of my principles are at odds with each other. I actually support the banning but at the same time it makes me feel uncomfortable because I don't believe any government should have the right to tell people how they can and can't dress. However there is no religious justification for the burkha and niqab, they're both cultural garbs.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Where I live there are a lot of racist people and for the most part the reason they are racist is because they are misinformed or uninformed. They think that people that are coloured steal jobs and benefits and are all members of the taliban because its on the TV. Reports on the real muslim faith are non existent. I'm a Jehovahs Witness and we are also steroetyped, just not as terrorist, as cowards as we don't fight in wars and as Jew. We are all entitled to our own beliefs, and thoobs comment as forcing his belief at others which isn't fair. (just to clarify, we don't force are beliefs on people, we just try to get people to have a faith in God)

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Blood Fetish said:
Who the hell is it hurting if I choose to walk down the street wearing a burka?

How do you tell the difference between those who choose to wear it willingly and those who are culturally and religiously compelled to wear it though?

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Blood Fetish said:
Who the hell is it hurting if I choose to walk down the street wearing a burka?

How do you tell the difference between those who choose to wear it willingly and those who are culturally and religiously compelled to wear it though?
You don't. Therefore you cannot make a law regarding it. You can't legislate culture and behavior, no matter how much certain governments may think so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo