Steam's new currency change for Argentina and Turkey created a big price increase for certain games

z6p4kmwikn1c1.png

Steam announced the highly volatile exchange rate going on with both Argentina's peso and Turkey's lira makes it hard for game developers to keep an appropriate and steady pricing for their games, which prompted Valve to make a change in the currency for these countries to instead default to US dollars, starting on November 20th, 2023. The mentioned change was notified to game developers, so they could make the proper changes to their games' pricing to take into account this new change.

The currency change has now taken place, starting yesterday, and this has seen a huge price increase for both territories, with some games incrementing no only by the hundreds in percentage, but even to the thousands in percentage compared to the original price before the change took place. Argentinian users in Reddit have put together a price table comparing prices from before Nov 20th, and after Nov 20th. Some handful of cases saw some games like Diablo IV got a reduced price after the change (-7,64%), but this is only an insignificant minority, since a big amount of games saw increases all over the board, with games like Cyberpunk 2077 seeing an increase of 66+%, going from the original price of $27,06 USD up to $44,99 USD, and in the most dire of cases, games like Stardew Valley which was originally priced at $0,49 USD, is now going for $14,99 USD, an increase of an overwhelming 2977% in price.

While the situation is still fairly recent, some game developers have noted that the cause of these price increases for some games seems to be the cause of a lack of manual input from the developers to update the price listings for their own games. Game developers were notified about the situation last month, but a lot of devs missed the notice and haven't updated their listings, which resulted in the aforementioned issue.

It's worth mentioning as well that these two countries are not the only ones which could be affected, since the volatility of the exchanges in currency in other Latin American (both Central and South America) and MENA (including middle east and North Africa) regions will also cause changes when it comes to Steam and its pricing for a number of countries located in those regions. The affected countries will be the following:

LATAM-USD Region:
Central America:
  • Belize
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
South America:
  • Argentina
  • Bolivia
  • Ecuador
  • Guyana
  • Paraguay
  • Suriname
  • Venezuela
MENA-USD Region:
Middle East:
  • Bahrain
  • Egypt
  • Iraq
  • Jordan
  • Lebanon
  • Oman
  • Palestine
  • Turkey
  • Yemen
North Africa:
  • Algeria
  • Libya
  • Morocco
  • Tunisia
  • Sudan
:arrow: Source

PS: In the table seen above, "s/i" means "without tax" and "c/i" means "with tax".

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah with the new president now we will change our currency Pesos for Us dollards . Finger Cross that he can achieve such a hard change
Is this a good thing tho ? Genuinely wondering cuz ... Idk, a country adopting the currency of another seems a bit weird to me but I don't know the situation

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is this a good thing tho ? Genuinely wondering cuz ... Idk, a country adopting the currency of another seems a bit weird to me but I don't know the situation
Depends almost entirely on what they set the minimum wage at after the switch. The fact that the new president is far-right doesn't exactly inspire confidence in that regard.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't forget to mention the time frame in which you earn that salary.
$150-$300 a week I'd assume, given how that's more or less the standard in Latin America (I'm in Mexico btw)
I'm not sure anymore because I've got a little disconnected lately and it changes a lot due to volatility of the currency; but I believe after the last dive of the ARS (with 1USD being practically 1000ARS) an average *monthly* salary is around 300 USD.

PS: I just confirmed this number with some acquaintances, and it is around that indeed.

Rioluwott

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
$150-$300 a week I'd assume, given how that's more or less the standard in Latin America (I'm in Mexico btw)
I guess it's per month, where do you live in Mexico btw? the lowest(and most used) salary here in the north is around 75-90 at most per week(luckily I can work in other countries)

Talking about this news it seems a lot of devs just used USD prices, hopefully they change it in the future, I know cuphead price went 5000% up after this change

Eternam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah...
yeah... no. Thats a monthly salary. Not for everyone of course but for most. If you work in tech or video you most likely earn 1500 or more. I moved to Spain back in June because the reality is really dark, and I worked for an international company, earning way more than most.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wonder. But there is a point to be made regarding the abuse of money printing in Argentina repeatedly performed as short term demagogic measures and the need to stop this... This abuse is the main reason the currency is worthless.

Hell, when a minister of economy (and candidate for president) calls something not jokingly "plan platita" (kind of "easy money aid plan") you must realize something is very very wrong.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah...

yeah... no. Thats a monthly salary. Not for everyone of course but for most. If you work in tech or video you most likely earn 1500 or more. I moved to Spain back in June because the reality is really dark, and I worked for an international company, earning way more than most.
Ah montly.
Yeah that's a bit lower than Mexico, but not by far, it's around $100 more per month, but still dire incomes.

I guess it's per month, where do you live in Mexico btw? the lowest(and most used) salary here in the north is around 75-90 at most per week(luckily I can work in other countries)

Talking about this news it seems a lot of devs just used USD prices, hopefully they change it in the future, I know cuphead price went 5000% up after this change
North too, so that's why I kinda went with the weekly income, kinda confused it a bit.

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhh your flag says US so...AFUERA RIGHTIE?

The history of right-wing governments in South America isn't exactly a success story for the native populations. Petty insults won't change that fact.
You’re Conflating right wing with libertarian. Biggest difference is regarding fiscal responsibility which is what he ran on. In any case, Obviously their leftist government’s printing has resulted in the peso being worth less than toilet paper. So, yes, a change of this source, cutting off the ability to blow out their spending is the natural way to go. El Salvador has been thriving under Bukele, and hopefully Argentina is next. Contrast that with the cartel government of Columbia, authoritarianism that is maduro’s Venezuela, and the bs that is Lula’s Brazil, and we’ll see who gets the last laugh here

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You’re Conflating right wing with libertarian. Biggest difference is regarding fiscal responsibility which is what he ran on.
Libertarianism is not viable in the modern day. In a global economy, those types of policies do nothing but open up the population to exploitation from foreign corporations.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Uhh your flag says US so...AFUERA RIGHTIE?

The history of right-wing governments in South America isn't exactly a success story for the native populations. Petty insults won't change that fact.
To be honest and coming from an Argentine expat I would say the correct statement really is "The history of -governments- in South America isn't exactly a success story for the native populations.", corruption both from the left and from the right has historically been through the roof. The right has murdered people, the left has murdered people, they have stolen, abused and perverted the institutions, destroyed democracies; to be honest the only thing they don't have in common is the "political orientation" they *say* they have... but even that "stated political orientation" is in my experience just posing, they are there for their personal gain and would betray any political belief whenever it's convenient for them, i.e. what we call "pancakes", they just flip over with little effort. Will this ever change? I can only hope.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To be honest and coming from an Argentine expat I would say the correct statement really is "The history of -governments- in South America isn't exactly a success story for the native populations.", corruption both from the left and from the right has historically been through the roof. The right has murdered people, the left has murdered people, they have stolen, abused and perverted the institutions, destroyed democracies; to be honest the only thing they don't have in common is the "political orientation" they *say* they have... but even that "stated political orientation" is in my experience just posing, they are there for their personal gain and would betray any political belief whenever it's convenient for them, i.e. what we call "pancakes", they just flip over with little effort. Will this ever change? I can only hope.
The big question is: how much right-wing sentiment in South America is organic, and how much of it was manufactured by US influence/interference? People like Elon Musk aren't celebrating Milei's win because they believe the cost of labor in Argentina will be going up, that's for certain.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The big question is: how much right-wing sentiment in South America is organic, and how much of it was manufactured by US influence/interference? People like Elon Musk aren't celebrating Milei's win because they believe the cost of labor in Argentina will be going up, that's for certain.
Regarding the particular case of Argentina and this election I would say the following, I believe most people voted against the perpetuation of what was the current government. The current government has been in office since 2003 (with a little 4 years pause in between), they have collapsed the economy, they have proven cases of corruption and embezzlement of funds all around, they haven't shown any competence in leading the country forward and they have created a monumental rift in society. The social rift that existed in America since perhaps 2020 existed in Argentina since at least 2007, and it was a creation of the left here, or to be precise of the government in office, the "Kirchnerist" party.

I believe that they on their own, without any external help, created a hostile situation in society, and a complete lack of confidence in the government that nobody wanted. So I can't tell for sure how many people voted "the right" and how many people voted "anything but the assholes that are in office since 2003" (that happens to be the same vote); but what I can say is that the current party in office earned the disgust of the population on their own right.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At Turkey's inflation rate, Greece will be able to just buy Constantinople from Turkey. lmao

On the bright side, all you baldies out there can get super cheap hair transplants! And all you people missing teeth, can get some cheap dental implants in Turkey! Turkey's Sultan is speed running his economy into the ground!

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Here we go...
I wonder. But there is a point to be made regarding the abuse of money printing in Argentina repeatedly performed as short term demagogic measures and the need to stop this... This abuse is the main reason the currency is worthless.

Hell, when a minister of economy (and candidate for president) calls something not jokingly "plan platita" (kind of "easy money aid plan") you must realize something is very very wrong.
One of Argentina's current issues is that their dollar reserve is pretty much fucked. I have no idea how Javier Milei will dollarize the economy. I believe he could just say "you know what, the peso is worthless now, fuck you if you didn't own dollars" instead of exchanging back, but that would be a terrible move overall. Unless the US is willing to capitalize on that and lend them some money for free, I don't see how he could do it. Furthermore, if he goes around and break down ties with Brazil/Mercosur and China, he'll nuke the economy so hard Brazil might as well buy Argentina for shits and giggles.
I believe that they on their own, without any external help, created a hostile situation in society, and a complete lack of confidence in the government that nobody wanted. So I can't tell for sure how many people voted "the right" and how many people voted "anything but the assholes that are in office since 2003" (that happens to be the same vote); but what I can say is that the current party in office earned the disgust of the population on their own right.
I do hope my fellow hermanos are aware that change for the sake of change can backfire hard. I have seen promises like these before (We'll fix it in 4 years, guys! I am not like these slimy politicians!), but anyone with common sense was aware that the current elections was choosing how hard they would be fucked (the devil you know vs the guy who is guided by his dead dog) in the long run, and so far, it feels like they picked up being fucked outright instead of slowly.
You’re Conflating right wing with libertarian. Biggest difference is regarding fiscal responsibility which is what he ran on. In any case, Obviously their leftist government’s printing has resulted in the peso being worth less than toilet paper. So, yes, a change of this source, cutting off the ability to blow out their spending is the natural way to go. El Salvador has been thriving under Bukele, and hopefully Argentina is next. Contrast that with the cartel government of Columbia, authoritarianism that is maduro’s Venezuela, and the bs that is Lula’s Brazil, and we’ll see who gets the last laugh here
Brazil is doing fine, thank you very much. Americans and their "I know it better" attitudes, always a pleasure to see it live.

It's a shame that Valve pulled that move instead of cracking down on easy region changing. Nintendo managed to fix that issue for Argentina in like 3 days when it became widespread, but instead they picked up the easier route.
And the worst thing is that they decided to just fallback to USA-USD prices instead of delisting games without regional pricing, that gives no incentive to publishers to actually go and put some thought into their prices.
I wish the best for Argentina, petty rivalry aside, I know plenty of good people around there and it would be better of all of us if South America was stronger economically together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol