Hacking Stay with dongle or go to CFW?

Sinistral89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay so here's the deal. I have my jailbroken ps3 (3.41) and I wonder if I should stick with my dongle (it's just an iPod) or should I update to 3.55 and use a CFW?

I want pros and cons. I would also like these questions to be answered:
1. Is game compability the same using CFW as dongles?
2. When or if I update will all my homebrew get deleted and I have to install it again, or will it just not work until I update it with signed pkg?
3. What CFW should I use? (My ps3 is a PAL 40 GB "no ps2" phat model).
4. Is a bit unrelated but can I somehow delete the original PSJailbreak-manager and still keep my ripped games?

Thanks in advance!
moogle.gif

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if youre happy with 3.41 meaning game compatibility (all my games work now that there are custom eboots) and not going on psn (which alot of the new cfw are having a prob with any way). i'd stay with 3.41 thats what im on but i did ditch the dongle with hermes cfw and signed payload. all my installed homebrew still worked. the only issue is some ps3's need to run in recovery mode to install the firmware which will erase all your games. my brothers is a slim and i had no prob updating via xmb but my phat had to do it via recovery. i just threw in another hdd i had while i did it

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see a reason to stay with 3.41 all homebrew is released for 3.55 and you don't have to mess with eboots. I lost my game saves but that was a small price to pay. The latest 3.55 is great. It just works. No messing with games to make them comparable, no flipping the power switch, no holding the eject button. You just use your PS3 like you normally would. Personally I thing the dongle was a pain in the ass. I'm glad we had it at the time but I'm also gald to be moving on.

Sinistral89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ringwurm1984 said:
if youre happy with 3.41 meaning game compatibility (all my games work now that there are custom eboots) and not going on psn (which alot of the new cfw are having a prob with any way). i'd stay with 3.41 thats what im on but i did ditch the dongle with hermes cfw and signed payload. all my installed homebrew still worked. the only issue is some ps3's need to run in recovery mode to install the firmware which will erase all your games. my brothers is a slim and i had no prob updating via xmb but my phat had to do it via recovery. i just threw in another hdd i had while i did it
By games you mean the ripped backups or games downloaded from psn?

QUOTE(Fireballo @ Feb 1 2011, 07:12 PM) I don't see a reason to stay with 3.41 all homebrew is released for 3.55 and you don't have to mess with eboots. I lost my game saves but that was a small price to pay. The latest 3.55 is great. It just works. No messing with games to make them comparable, no flipping the power switch, no holding the eject button. You just use your PS3 like you normally would. Personally I thing the dongle was a pain in the ass. I'm glad we had it at the time but I'm also gald to be moving on.
Dang. Losing my saves is nothing I really would like. When I changed harddrives for my ps3 I lost my saves for one game and that sucked big time
frown.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's say I put my old harddrive in my ps3 and update to OFW, then go CFW and then put in my new harddrive. Would that be something I could do to be able to keep my saves and games?
ph34r.gif

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:

and i mean both. all my backups 40 or so play no prob and i have about 7 psn titles that all work

QUOTE-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let's say I put my old harddrive in my ps3 and update to OFW, then go CFW and then put in my new harddrive. Would that be something I could do to be able to keep my saves and games?
ph34r.gif

i would think so i did it when i "updated" to the 3.41 cfw

Sinistral89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ringwurm1984 said:
QUOTE said:

and i mean both. all my backups 40 or so play no prob and i have about 7 psn titles that all work

QUOTE-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ph34r.gif

i would think so i did it when i "updated" to the 3.41 cfw
Maybe should have clarified that a bit. I mean did all your games get deleted? Didn't mean if your games work or not (but of course I am interested in that too). Don't really have the patience to put all games back into the ps3
tongue.gif

Would be awesome if I just could change harddrive like that. Makes everything easier.

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dont know what all gets deleted if you have to update via recovery mode i didnt have any games on the other drive when i put it in my phat to update. but i didnt lose anything when i plugged the other drive back in. the slim i did for my brother that let me update via xmb didnt lose anything either. if you want to lose the dongle just go ahead and try it if it updates then great if it says that your ps3 is already on this firmware then either stop or swap the drive.

the new hermes firmware is kinda like the firmware on the newer psp where you load payload right from xmb one time when you first boot up. no need to boot in service mode or anything

if you need anything to try it just pm me

ringwurm1984

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah i guess i should clarified too. im not even certain things do get deleted booting from recovery (i dont see why it would because everythings on drive and firmware is the system) but everyone recommended backing everything up because the were afraid they would lose stuff. i was too chicken to try so swapped the drives to be sure.

maybe magsor and others can confirm

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing that happened to me was when I removed the game manger that was for my dongle it erased all the games that I loaded using it right off my hard drive. So I recommend having usb backups. I was lucky all my games were also on a usb drive.

Sinistral89

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone? Just wanna know which CFW is the best (stable, highest compability and so on). Don't let me down after all the good help I got earlier
nayps3.gif

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waninkoko's PS3 Custom Firmware 3.55 v2 is the latest. I'm using kmeaw's 3.55 CFW which is almost as new. I have nothing but good things to say about the kmeaw cfw. I'm using the latest multiman to load games. I think Multiman is the best game manager as of right now but there are a few to chose from. One thing to keep in mind I heard that you need to go back to official firmware before you update from one CFW to the next. I'm not positive if that's true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: nuh uh +1