Hacking Stargate DS Mode won't work with stock firmware

Infernarl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got the Stargate. It is working fine with 3DS games. When I Hit both buttons it switched to Alex Rider like it is supposed to. When I launch that I get two white screens. Just for fun I tried the same thing with nothing on the SD card but a 3DS rom and it had the same behavior. Defective card?

Details:
-32 gig Sandisk Ultra
-Firmware has never been changed to CFW
-Firmware is Ver. 11.6.0-39U
-System is a "New" 3DS (not the XL) It's the Mario Black Friday one.
-Formatted to FAT32
-Contents of the SD card are the _ds_menu.dat file and the sg_system folder on the root as well as a 3DS Rom and a folder with two DS roms
-Everything works including hitting both buttons to make the Icon shift to Alex rider, but when you launch it I get two white screens.
-I am able to launch the 3DS rom just fine
-I tried redownloading and recopying the sd_files.zip files same outcome
-I tried the same 32gig card with exFAT same outcome
-I tried a DIFFERENT 32gig card same outcome
-I tried a 64 gig card (not supposed to work) same outcome

HELP

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got the Stargate. It is working fine with 3DS games. When I Hit both buttons it switched to Alex Rider like it is supposed to. When I launch that I get two white screens. Just for fun I tried the same thing with nothing on the SD card but a 3DS rom and it had the same behavior. Defective card?

Details:
-32 gig Sandisk Ultra
-Formatted to FAT32
-Contents of the SD card are the _ds_menu.dat file and the sg_system folder on the root as well as a 3DS Rom and a folder with two DS roms
-Everything works including hitting both buttons to make the Icon shift to Alex rider, but when you launch it I get two white screens.

HELP
I've never used Stargate, and I'm not sure if I can answer the question, but I just wanted to inform you:
Stargate in my personal opinion is a scam for what it provides. It provides less functionality than a regular ds flashcart and costs double the price. Ds flashcarts can load ds roms as well as install ntrboot. Stargate cannot load ds roms and provides 3ds rom loading instead, but advertises ntrboot which allows for the same thing but easier and cheaper. Nowadays, modding a console only costs $2 with the seedminer method. I suggest you use Stargate to install ntrboot and ditch the room loading feature, as using a cfw to load ROMs is much easier.
I do want to quickly add on that it can load ds ROMs if you do not have a cfw, making your problem genuine, however, this is no reason to why you shouldn't install cfw with it right now.

Last edited by Giodude,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Details:
-32 gig Sandisk Ultra
-Formatted to FAT32

HELP
exFAT won't help you at all.

"All Nintendo DS games work fine and do not freeze. Just remember to format the microSD card as FAT32, otherwise you will get two white screens and be forced to either go back to the main system menu or power off the console. Currently this flash cart does not currently support exFAT for DS games, but this will be added later in a future update."

Make sure your microSD card isn't defective by testing it with h2testw (this will reformat your entire memory card). Then use guiformat (http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm) to ensure it gets formatted correctly. If it still doesn't work, contact Stargate Command.

"In order to access DS mode, press both buttons on the flash cart together while the system is on. The Alex Rider: Stormbreaker game icon will then be displayed and upon launching will take the user to the DS menu. DS games are directly launched and played from within this menu. If a 3DS game is selected, it will take the user back to the 3DS system menu and display the icon for the game there. Please note that I tested Castlevania games which, in the past, had compatibility issues with slow microSD cards in DS flash carts." from https://gbatemp.net/threads/news-new-stargate-3ds-flashcart.481500/

Reactions: Giodude

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Is a problem with the whitelist patch of luma, I compiled a version without this patch and my stargate now work, if you need it I can upload it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is a problem with the whitelist patch of luma, I compiled a version without this patch and my stargate now work, if you need it I can upload it.
He says he doesn't have CFW. However that's incredibly useful information for those with a Stargate that do, and makes it more useful as a flashcart. You should post a thread about this so it's more easily visible.
I wonder why that's the case though, since it doesn't have any negative impact on other DS flashcarts. What the hell is the Stargate doing that makes it a special case, especially since the cartridge whitelist is handled from 3DS mode, and shouldn't possibly have any effect on DS-mode.
TWL_FIRM patches could very well have an impact on DS-mode though, and Luma has some of those as well.

Reactions: Giodude

Infernarl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok.....did you check it with h2testw or did you just stop reading my post from there?

h2testw reports no errors. Reformatted with guiformat. This had an interesting effect: This memory card had been working before with 3DS roms but now is not detected by the stargate at all. It acts the same as if the SD card slot was empty. Did I pick a bad allocation size? I just left it at what it popped up as which was 16384.

Putting in my second card (allocation size seems to be 32K) that I formatted with windows, I can still launch 3DS roms but DS mode makes a white screen as initially described. Could this be a formatting issue? Why is it so picky!

Last edited by Infernarl,

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know anything about stargate in particular, but with any traditional DS only cart you need to ensure you have the cart's software/kernel/whatever you want to call it on the SD card to load the menu. You might want to look and see if stargate offers a version of wood to put on your cartridge.

Edit: didn't notice you already mentioned you had it. Try reformatting your sd card FAT32 or just redownload the ds files and see if that helps.

Last edited by Hking0036,

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
h2testw reports no errors. Reformatted with guiformat. This had an interesting effect: This memory card had been working before with 3DS roms but now is not detected by the stargate at all. It acts the same as if the SD card slot was empty. Did I pick a bad allocation size? I just left it at what it popped up as which was 16384.

Putting in my second card (allocation size seems to be 32K) that I formatted with windows, I can still launch 3DS roms but DS mode makes a white screen as initially described. Could this be a formatting issue? Why is it so picky!
Odd. It should default to 32768 for allocation unit size. Try again with guiformat and 32k and see if it works.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's taken me all day to figure out how to get StarGate 3DS+ to work on my son's 2DS.

If I copied the required files off my SD card (which ran perfectly fine) to my son's SD card, nothing would happen.

After reading loads of sites, eventually I came across updating the firmware, so I did that because it said it supports Pokemon roms which is what I am planning to put on the SD card for my son.

So I updated the StarGate Firmware, again copied over the roms off my SD card to my sons and still nothing happens.

Using the tools on their website, I formatted my sons SD card and tried again, it detected the roms but due to it formatting as FAT32 I couldn't put Pokemon Moon onto the SD card, so I formatted it as EXFAT and copied everything over again.

Now only certain roms display, Pokemon doesn't display for some reason, though I cant get it to work on my 3DS LL (Jap Region downgraded firmware to run Gateway). I recall Pokemon Sun/Moon need to patch the rom from Card 1 to Card 2, I have tried on patcher that another user posted in one of the threads in here.

Then I tried searching and found another that claimed to patch the rom from Card 1 to Card 2, upon booting the rom (Gateway) it would go to a black screen and then nothing, I would have to turn the 3DS LL off.

If I used the rom on my sons SD card using StarGate3DS+, again the rom wont display.

I am out of ideas or having any luck finding a solution online, so I have no idea what to do in order to get Pokemon roms to run on both Gateway and StarGate3DS+.

I know there are CFW options, but I dernt try it on my Jap 3DS because I don't understand anything it says on the console screen, I only know how to boot into Gateway because I have it set up to boot Homebrew Loader on power on to then boot Gateway.

As for my son, 1 I have tried using the magnet and I am shit at keeping it secure in the same place where it needs to be, plus the little twat thought it would be a good idea to remove the SD card from the consoles SD port and try inserting it upside down and backwards, forcing it all the way in, then when he realised it was in the wrong way, he tried biting it out like a fecking gerbil and has fecked up the consoles SD card slot, so it cant detect SD cards that are inserted into the console.

So he is limited to using a flashcard with a MSD Card because he cant use the consoles SD slot which I believe CFW's would install CIA roms.

Also after reading this thread, I remember when I first received my StarGate3DS+ cards, I played with it on my console and remembered it had DS support where you'd press both orange buttons to switch to DS mode and boot DS roms from a menu you accessed by booting the DS cart icon that would display.

I have no idea how to get this and how to boot DS roms on my sons 2DS and I'd also be keen to find out if its possible to run DS roms on my 3DS LL using Gateway, I cant remember if StarGate3DS+ works on my Jap console or how to run DS roms.

Thanks for reading my long dribble lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...