Starfall or Starpatch vs Priiloader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ACWWFAN, Jan 2, 2010.

Jan 2, 2010
  1. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    Well, here's my problem. I actually bought a game, NSMB Wii. I am on 4.1 and it asks for me to update it if I want to launch through the disc channel. Well obviously I don't want to. So I installed priiloader...but I don't like how it boots before my system menu, I rather just have the update blocked and when I turn on my Wii just go to the health warning screen then press a and it takes me to the system menu. After I install the hacks.ini or whatever can I remove Priiloader so that it doesn't boot before my system menu and will the update still be blocked? And as for starfall...does that boot before the system menu? Would that be better for me to use since I don't want a pre loader of any kind? Will it block the update? Thanks in advance for telling me what to do.

2. junker_man32

Banned junker_man32 Banned

United States
    have them rasie my warn level to 90 and i shall stop, or if not, i shall spread word of forgiveness until they relinquish me...i shall return...i dide becuz the sinners

3. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Here is your ban:
    BAN!!

No seriously, ban him.

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
  5. junker_man32

Banned junker_man32 Banned

United States
    you may kill me judas....in hatred..but i forgive YOU! warn level still 20

6. dottor_male

Member dottor_male GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Starpatch simply patch the System Menu, so it doesn't boot before the system menu, but it block the updates.
    I use Starpatch for that reason. (having bootMe as boot2 I don't need priiloader brick protection)

7. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    Can someone please rephrase what he said? I am confused...

8. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    he's saying that Startpatch does NOT offer any brick protection other than blocking disc updates (if you consider that brick protection). it simply patches the system menu with hacks.

preloader/priiloader installs itself in front of the system menu and loads when you start up the wii before the system menu but after Bootmii. if you don't have bootmii, preloader/priiloader is your next best brick protection since you can use it to load the homebrew channel and boot a repair app.

9. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    startpatch only implements system menu hacks, whereas priiloader handles system menu hacks PLUS loads before the system menu for added brick protection (and also allows u to customize how the wii boots up).

in my opinion, only those with bootmii as boot2 MAY decide to use startpatch over priiloader (I have it as boot2, but I still prefer priiloader because I like having my own personal crazy intro video play when i turn on the wii)

EDIT: Old8oy beat me to it!

10. ACWWFAN
    OP

Member ACWWFAN HERP DERP

United States
    Ok thanks, I will go with Starpatch to just block the disc updates. I need to get bootmii installed again...Thanks.

11. c-boi

Newcomer c-boi Newbie

United States