Star Ocean: First Departure R announced for the Switch and PS4

5FCE5D16-F4FE-4893-9F87-859650DB78CE.jpeg

A remake of the PlayStation Portable game Star Ocean: First Departure has been announced. Square Enix will be bringing the game, which sports a new R in its title, westward on both the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Released originally in 2007, First Departure was a remake of the first Star Ocean title, which was a Super Nintendo JRPG created by tri-Ace, the former developers of Tales of Phantasia. Star Ocean: First Departure R is a notable reveal for the west, as a remake of Star Ocean 2 released in Japan in 2015, but was never localized.

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may have beaten this game on the psp. I'm not too bothered by ports. I did buy final fantasy vii, ix, x, and xii on the switch. I'm at the last boss in ix and the last stage in vii. I'm a few hours in ffx, and I've yet to try ff xii. I did beat all of those games on the psx/ps2, but it was so long ago that I remembered very little about ff vii and ffix. I got stuck many times.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It is a pretty good game - maybe a bit short for ~40hrs (2nd remake is about 60hrs) to 100%.
It would be better to bundle both remakes into one package. It feels more complete this way. Bought and played both PSP remakes. Sadly this feels like cash grab again...

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
I love the so series but the first one was underwhelming. Here's hoping they add more stuffs to the game like a new character like what they did with the 2nd evolution.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's new to the switch so new to me. psp graphics are a bit underwhelming when compared to a 1080p machine, so I'm fine with it. always wanted to play this game anyway, seems like a good place to start.

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: THYPLEX

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got to admit, didn't see that coming! :blink:

I been saying to myself they would put the psp star ocean games on ps4, then all 5 games would be on one system. It seems simple since hackers said the ps4 has a psp emulator. Talking about the Parappa the rapper HD thing, not to mention the castlevania requiem as well. Seem like a simple thing.

All that aside, are these games even good? I never hear people talk about star ocean a lot, and the first game didn't even get released internationally until the psp remake, instead of being stuck on snes. If any game needs a international re-release, its tales of phantasia since its GBA port. :ninja:

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got to admit, didn't see that coming! :blink:

I been saying to myself they would put the psp star ocean games on ps4, then all 5 games would be on one system. It seems simple since hackers said the ps4 has a psp emulator. Talking about the Parappa the rapper HD thing, not to mention the castlevania requiem as well. Seem like a simple thing.

All that aside, are these games even good? I never hear people talk about star ocean a lot, and the first game didn't even get released internationally until the psp remake, instead of being stuck on snes. If any game needs a international re-release, its tales of phantasia since its GBA port. :ninja:

Star Ocean 2 is my top rated game of all time. They remade it but ruined the awesome character art with chibi and fully voiced it.

There were upgrades all across the board like more fluid combat and a battle minimap.

But, I'd say the vanilla version is better.

Reactions: Glyptofane

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users