Logan 5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick recommend me some stand up comedy, I've heard a lot so try and recommend something a little less popular/known

If you came here looking for recommendations, check these guys out:

Louis CK
Mike Birbiglia
Bob Newhart

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
hullo8d said:
Aziz Ansari will make you laugh your dick off.

But I'll miss the big guy
frown.gif

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't watch to many stand-ups so I really can't help much, but have you ever seen anything by Leslie Jones?

Logan 5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't find a torrent but i found this youtube clip:

and yeah I've seen that before, she's pretty funny but you have to understand where she is coming from. What I mean is she has a very narrow range.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bill Burr. He's fuckin fantastic and pretty well unknown if hits on google are a good indicator

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nick Thune - Fantastic quick-bit style joke teller.

Chris Fairbanks - Amazing at making fun of himself as he messes up words.

Jimmy Pardo - Phenomenal crowd work and a very classy style.

Doug Benson - Great one liners, observations and lots of weed humor.

Grahm Elwood - Friend of Benson, they tour together a lot. Great political stuff... but not too heady.

Joe Rogan - a BRILLIANT comic that will seriously make you think about what you're laughing about, and will help you understand life in general
tongue.gif

Chris Hardwick -Ex-host of Singled Out (yea, its an old show
tongue.gif
) and a great nerd comic. Also check out Hard 'N Phirm if you like comedy music. It's his side comedy with another guy. Decent music, funny subjects (a song about Pi where they sing in to the... 100th something decimal with some killer harmonies)

I second Aziz Ansari and Bill Burr as well. Both are hilarious.

If i think of more, i'll post. (i. LOVE. standup.)

PS- Everyone needs to find Joe Rogan. I put him in the same category with Bill Hicks & Lewis Black for angry, amazing, thoughtful joke telling.

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll toss in the late Mitch Hedberg, Nick Kroll, and uh... who else... You probably already know Brian Posehn and Zack Galafanakis, so Juda Friedlander maybe?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
hullo8d said:
Aziz Ansari will make you laugh your dick off.

But I'll miss the big guy
frown.gif

Heads up. That's your second big dick 'joke' you've made recently (that i've read just today). Not very funny, and it doesn't mean you have a big dick. Usually the opposite.

Also, both times, it's been completely off topic as to just talk about a big dong. I've been lazy to this point, but it's old and they'll probably be getting trashed from here on out. Thanks
smile.gif

QUOTE(liquidnumb @ Jul 27 2010, 05:27 PM)
I'll toss in the late Mitch Hedberg, Nick Kroll, and uh... who else... You probably already know Brian Posehn and Zack Galafanakis, so Juda Friedlander maybe?

Hell yes to Kroll! (posehn & galafanakis too!)

I haven't listened to Friedlander yet, though i've enjoyed him on random shows and movies. I should really look into his schtuff.

EDIT:
OH FUCK!!! PAUL F. TOMPKINS! Find him now. GREAT stuff. (more to come later)

liquidnumb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
I haven't listened to Friedlander yet, though i've enjoyed him on random shows and movies. I should really look into his schtuff.

EDIT:
OH FUCK!!! PAUL F. TOMPKINS! Find him now. GREAT stuff. (more to come later)

If you can find Friedlander, I'd recommend it. I can't find him doing a full set anywhere, unfortunately. Also, +1 for Tompkins. And Greg Giraldo.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm the only one who likes Dane Cook?! Lol! He has my nasty humor. Anyways, Nick Swardson is the best. Watch "Nick Swardson: Seriously, who farted?" :>

QUOTE said:
try and recommend something a little less popular/known
My bad.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
omgpwn666 said:
I'm the only one who likes Dane Cook?! Lol! He has my nasty humor. Anyways, Nick Swardson is the best. Watch "Nick Swardson: Seriously, who farted?" :>
Dane Cook's mouth is where jokes go to DIE.

Logan 5

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm checking out Bill Burr right now, I'll give these guys a listen soon:

David Cross
Nick Thune
Chris Fairbanks
Graham Elwood
Chriss Hardwick
Nick Krohl
Bill Bailey
Dylan Moran
Kevin Bloody Wilson
Russel Howard
Frankie Boyle

Iv'e heard these guys already:

liked:
Patton Oswalt
Jimmy Pardo
Doug Benson
Joe Rogan
Bill Hicks
Lewis Black
Mitch Hedburg
Brian Poseihn
Zack Galifinakis
Judah Friedlander
Paul F Tompkins
Greg Giraldo
Pablo Francisco
Nick Swardson

disliked:
Dane Cook

Thanks guys I got a pretty substantial list now. I've been working on my own stand up act recently, going to try it out at an open mic night next month so I've been submersing myself in comedy and all things hysterical. So far I got a bit about peanut butter beverages, a bit about smoking, and a bit about driving.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tim Vine is a master of one-liners.

And also agree on some of Blaze's suggestions. I liked Bill Bailey in Never Mind the Buzzcocks (panel, not stand up), while Frankie Boyle and Russell Howard are very funny indeed.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Logan 5 said:
*snipped*

I've been working on my own stand up act recently, going to try it out at an open mic night next month so I've been submersing myself in comedy and all things hysterical. So far I got a bit about peanut butter beverages, a bit about smoking, and a bit about driving.

You have some good taste there. I have a few names for you. Jimmy Pardo, Doug Benson, Graham Elwood, Jimmy Dore.
You know the first two. Those are 4 people who's podcasts you need to find.

Pardo does a comedy talkshow with one guest. (sadly, there's a seasonal subscription fee of $20, but they do offer the first 30minutes of each ep for free. And that'll give you a good idea.)
(these next three 'casts are freebies
wink.gif
)
Benson does a Movie show with 3 random guests and a few fun little games. This is a Live recording, so it's a little more off the rails.
Elwood does a movie show with 1 guest, but it's a strait run.
Dore does a show called Comedy & Everything Else. Usually runs 2 hours, regularly has a guest from the comedy industry, and gets into a lot of the background stuff of being a stand-up comic. A lot of political talk too, and usually leans on the serious end (with jokes thrown in), but is fascinating to listen to.

Those 4 podcasts usually involve people from the California comedy circuit. And they also dive into the background of the industry.

(Elwood is Bensons usual opener when he's on tour. Dore has been doing comedy for YEARS and is somewhat recognizable from a few different things).

I'm a comedy nerd. I love it. Inside and out. And love the intricacies of the stand-up/improv/comedy troupe industries (three VERY different businesses and styles) and have been studying them for years. Have yet to try any of the three, but have been dying to since i was 10-ish.

Oh, and one more- Comedy Deathray Radio. A podcast lead by Scott Auckerman, the head of the UCB theater in LA. Anywhere from 2-5 guests at a time, and they usually do some good characters, and they dip into industry talk occasionally as well.

I don't know if this would interest you, but as you're starting, i figured you'd like to hear more about it, from people that have been doing it for YEARS, and have fantastic stories and advice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i always posted on the eof meme threads
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    xp is arbitrary anyway
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just like the like system people think it matters
    likes got introduced like years after I joined
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still feel as if they take away conversation
    post anything dumb, people will like it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs
    perhaps the rag tag team of idiots isn't awake yet...
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    When I remake my Wii system menu theme I'm gonna publish it to GBAtemp for people to have it if they want to idk I'm bored
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or busy humping each other
    digital circle jerk
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Zoom dcj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please stop wanking during this meeting
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @DinohScene, "rag tag team of idiots" you mean me? :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh yeah @K3Nv2 I got that power bank in the other day, thing is pretty sweet. Seems legit
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, how much did you spend? Saw it on sale for $35 yesterday tempted to grab another one
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I paid $49 for it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Which all things considered is a great price
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I took it with me to a medical appointment and the nurse was like that's a big charger :creep:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I took it with me to a medical appointment and the nurse was like that's a big charger :creep: