SSL or not? Usenet noob here...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SSL comes with an extra 10 connections, I find my connection (about 6Mbit by the time all is said and done) is usually maxed out via the US servers when I am in Europe from about 4-6 connections though.

SSL is good if you have an ISP that does the "traffic shaping"/port blocking bit (not sure how many do it in Canada these days however) as SSL traffic can be anything (and decrypting it is counted as a move against privacy (not to mention it is nigh on impossible)).

Privacy wise it is up to you, I am not aware of any cases offhand that peoples usenet has been used to do an IP lookup a la all the torrent stuff (primarily as it can not be used in that way).

Westside

Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
FAST6191 said:
SSL comes with an extra 10 connections, I find my connection (about 6Mbit by the time all is said and done) is usually maxed out via the US servers when I am in Europe from about 4-6 connections though.

SSL is good if you have an ISP that does the "traffic shaping"/port blocking bit (not sure how many do it in Canada these days however) as SSL traffic can be anything (and decrypting it is counted as a move against privacy (not to mention it is nigh on impossible)).

Privacy wise it is up to you, I am not aware of any cases offhand that peoples usenet has been used to do an IP lookup a la all the torrent stuff (primarily as it can not be used in that way).
Bell Sympatico is known for throttling and port blocking, I'll take the SSL I guess...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1