Hacking SSBB (U) on PAL - Black screen with Freeloader answer

D-an-W

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Been playing with my backup of SSBB (U) as I was bored. Like a few more people have reported, using the recent dump of Freeloader everything was fine until launching SSBB which resulted in a black screen and having to reset the Wii (3.2E & Genuine Component Cable @ 480p).

You could tell Freeloader was doing something as the game title was show in the Wii main menu instead of the System Update prompt, but no matter what I tried (Composite lead, all resolutions etc) I could not get past the black screen.

I then patched the SSBB backup with the recently released ppf file, extracted the __update.inf and compared it to Prophet's here, they were exactly the same (CRC, MD5, SHA1) so I figured it was safe to let it run the "phantom" update without the risk of dual channels.

After doing so the patched SSBB written to Verbatim DVD+R DL media at 8x works fine with both CycloWiz 3.6beta and YAOSM 3.0 Final (Dual mod setup with external socket). I then tested the untouched SSBB backup loading Freeloader first and it booted fine, without Freeloader the untouched backup still prompts for an update.

What I conclude from this is that recent release of Freeloader is not fully "bypassing" everything it needs to to allow SSBB to run and anyone who has never had another regions disc in their Wii will probably end up with a black screen as I did and have to allow this "phantom" update to run to get past it.

I hope this all makes sense, I tried not to ramble on too much...
wacko.gif

shane1972

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

For freeloader to be any good it must run 100% without the need to remove anything at all.
I have a wii key 1.9g and a back up of ssbb and i get the 001 error so freeloader is not working 100% as it claims.
I did the mp3 15% trick and it works 100% with out freeloader.
I was just trying freeloader to see.

Shane

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i might do that later XD

the most weird thing is that everyone says its because of the TV BUT !!!! why does the wii controler turn off and does not start again ? if its just for the tv that does not show everything correct the controler should still be on

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
yes as it's been pointed out here, datel lied about saying that the freeloader bypasses the updates on the disc, people who are unable to use a modified iso are unable to remove the updates at all and when they do run the updates they will get dupe channels and there would be no way out of it if they want to play and not having a modchip, datel have done this in the past lying about features that they say are included but never work or are not even there.

i'm glad i didn't have to spend money on this freeloader (£15) and i suggest anyone planning to buy this save your money also.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I read something about double swapping. After freeloader does its strange screen thing, you take the freeloader disc out, re-insert it, take it out again and then insert the game. As I understood it that was supposed to bypass updates.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
kedest said:
Well I read something about double swapping. After freeloader does its strange screen thing, you take the freeloader disc out, re-insert it, take it out again and then insert the game. As I understood it that was supposed to bypass updates.

oh that, yeah i've hard of that but i read it's the opposite effect, it enables the update.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes in the free loader case there is little text but one part says "atlernative method" and something about using the disc twice to load upgrade programm selectively

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
yes as it's been pointed out here, datel lied about saying that the freeloader bypasses the updates on the disc

I can't believe I'm reading this. Of course it bypasses the updates, by the fact the Wii doesn't prompt for you to update. It's not Datel's fault some games need to update the firmware before they can even be run!

D-an-W

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Youkai said:
yes in the free loader case there is little text but one part says "atlernative method" and something about using the disc twice to load upgrade programm selectively

Before I allowed the "phantom" update, if I booted Freeloader twice it showed the Update needed when SSBB was inserted. I just assumed this disabled Freeloader...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol