SSBB (U) on PAL - Black screen with Freeloader answer

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by D-an-W, Mar 14, 2008.

1. D-an-W
    OP

Member D-an-W GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Been playing with my backup of SSBB (U) as I was bored. Like a few more people have reported, using the recent dump of Freeloader everything was fine until launching SSBB which resulted in a black screen and having to reset the Wii (3.2E & Genuine Component Cable @ 480p).

You could tell Freeloader was doing something as the game title was show in the Wii main menu instead of the System Update prompt, but no matter what I tried (Composite lead, all resolutions etc) I could not get past the black screen.

I then patched the SSBB backup with the recently released ppf file, extracted the __update.inf and compared it to Prophet's here, they were exactly the same (CRC, MD5, SHA1) so I figured it was safe to let it run the "phantom" update without the risk of dual channels.

After doing so the patched SSBB written to Verbatim DVD+R DL media at 8x works fine with both CycloWiz 3.6beta and YAOSM 3.0 Final (Dual mod setup with external socket). I then tested the untouched SSBB backup loading Freeloader first and it booted fine, without Freeloader the untouched backup still prompts for an update.

What I conclude from this is that recent release of Freeloader is not fully "bypassing" everything it needs to to allow SSBB to run and anyone who has never had another regions disc in their Wii will probably end up with a black screen as I did and have to allow this "phantom" update to run to get past it.

I hope this all makes sense, I tried not to ramble on too much... [​IMG]

2. shane1972

Member shane1972 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hi,

For freeloader to be any good it must run 100% without the need to remove anything at all.
    I have a wii key 1.9g and a back up of ssbb and i get the 001 error so freeloader is not working 100% as it claims.
    I did the mp3 15% trick and it works 100% with out freeloader.
    I was just trying freeloader to see.

Shane

3. D-an-W
    OP

United Kingdom
    This could just be an issue with the dumped Freeloader, I have an original on the way but couldn't wait to test it [​IMG]

4. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    i have an original freeloader as well and i get black screen with 2 of my japanese games i tested ... [​IMG]V

5. Marticuno

Member Marticuno GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Hatemail to Datel gogogo!

6. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    i might do that later XD

the most weird thing is that everyone says its because of the TV BUT !!!! why does the wii controler turn off and does not start again ? if its just for the tv that does not show everything correct the controler should still be on

7. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    yes as it's been pointed out here, datel lied about saying that the freeloader bypasses the updates on the disc, people who are unable to use a modified iso are unable to remove the updates at all and when they do run the updates they will get dupe channels and there would be no way out of it if they want to play and not having a modchip, datel have done this in the past lying about features that they say are included but never work or are not even there.

i'm glad i didn't have to spend money on this freeloader (£15) and i suggest anyone planning to buy this save your money also.

8. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    So it can't bypass updates?
    What's the double swap trick then?

9. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    for certain games yes (like this one) not sure what you mean by the swap trick but i'm presuming you mean the dvd9 and dvd5 swap trick?

10. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Well I read something about double swapping. After freeloader does its strange screen thing, you take the freeloader disc out, re-insert it, take it out again and then insert the game. As I understood it that was supposed to bypass updates.

11. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    oh that, yeah i've hard of that but i read it's the opposite effect, it enables the update.

12. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    yes in the free loader case there is little text but one part says "atlernative method" and something about using the disc twice to load upgrade programm selectively

13. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I can't believe I'm reading this. Of course it bypasses the updates, by the fact the Wii doesn't prompt for you to update. It's not Datel's fault some games need to update the firmware before they can even be run!

14. D-an-W
    OP

United Kingdom

Before I allowed the "phantom" update, if I booted Freeloader twice it showed the Update needed when SSBB was inserted. I just assumed this disabled Freeloader...?

15. bosscolor

Member bosscolor GBAtemp Fan

France
    The freeloader sucks so much

Datel are scammers