Hacking Spray Painting my DS Lite...

Slyakin

See ya suckers
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, after a surge of inspiration and such, I have decided to spray paint my DS Lite. I know the process of opening it, but I just thought I can see your guys thoughts and help in this situation. Maybe something to make the whole thing easier?

Dagatahas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you really want to...

Most spray cans include chemical agents that either melt or weaken styrene type plastic. I don't know exactly what the DS case plastic is but odds are regular Enamel and Laquer based spraypaint cans will destroy them. There are Acryllic based spray paints but these can still be chancy. Also it is very difficult to use spray cans as it is very easy to end up with overspray and cloting/clumping issues.

Spray painting the outside of a normal DS case is not recomendable as daily use with quickly rub away the paint no matter how you seal it. Painting the inside of a Clear case would be best, also you can paint the inside using a brush as the smoot inside surface levels out the paint(kinda like painting an old cel animation). Using alcohol/Water/Acrylic based plastic model paints would likely be your best bets.

A lot of trial-and-error/practice is recomended. Loooong drying time needed to make sure no moisture or solvent left on paint and to let it cure.

You can try going to plastic model making websites like www.fichtenfoo.com to learn about basic painting techniques. I think they still have some horor stories there about plastic and bad choice of paint.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.