Spider-Man: No Way Home

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is that the movie ends up being a series of poorly connected set pieces just to let each big character have their moment, which is fine if it's an ensemble movie like the Avengers, but not if you want to mainly see a Spiderman story.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a hundred named characters worked in the Avengers and barely anyone complained, so they're comfortable with having that many characters in a movie and hoping for the best.
Most of the villains have had their establishing movies already (avoiding the need for an origin story, which usually ruins the first movie in any franchise), and now thanks to the magic of THE MULTIVERSE the movies didn't even have to be in the MCU! They wanted the Sinister Six, and had to have someone to break the universe too, hence Strange. So the movie is getting kind of crowded, but since all characters are familiar and no time needs to be wasted on introductions, I hope everyone will get their own moment.
But it's true that Marvel movies are suffering from the same problem as the comics, in that all characters have to inhabit the same universe and simply can't have standalone stories.
Yes, but also, Spiderman 3 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 had the same issue of trying to stuff so much shit into one movie that it came off as bloated and unfocused. If there is any tradition here its that putting too much into a Spiderman movie tends to do poorly in the end. Maybe this one will break the curse? We will not know until reviews come in.

That said I have not been very impressed with Phase 4 so far properties wise. Aside from a show or two, the movies have not really moved me into a hyped mindset to see whats ahead.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yes, but also, Spiderman 3 and The Amazing Spiderman 2 had the same issue of trying to stuff so much shit into one movie that it came off as bloated and unfocused. If there is any tradition here its that putting too much into a Spiderman movie tends to do poorly in the end. Maybe this one will break the curse? We will not know until reviews come in.
I don't know about TAS2, I do know that in Spider Man 3 Sam Raimi got fed up with executive meddling and gave up halfway. And part of the problem with that movie was that all three villains had to be introduced and established which didn't leave time for anything else. Now I'm not saying the movie won't be crowded (three Spider Men, six villains? assorted supporting characters) but how many spiders and villains did Into the Spiderverse have, and made it work somehow?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
RDT_20211124_1839357697203183069732139.png

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody seen this yet? Early word from most of the critics I pay attention to (cynical bastards one and all) is seriously positive which is a bit of a shocker.

If anybody has seen it then is it possibly worth at least watching the Sony efforts at 2x speed and maybe the others? As mentioned before I have only bothered with the first three (and regretted seeing the third on DVD when I had nothing else to do) plus whatever token role Spiderman had in whatever avengers film I saw.

Looking at it the writers and directors have something in their past that says they can do things (if you can produce TV comedy that lasts you can probably do most things) so I suppose I should not be too surprised. Also see the director has fantastic four to come before long so curious to see if we will get an unquestionably good one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At this point, I don't think anyone is capable of doing a good fantastic four movie.
If you can have good cartoons, comics, games and such then I fail to see why you can't have a good film here.

I might not launch directly into a Galactus/Silver Surfer storyline (might even save it for "Avengers made a lot of money, let's up the stakes/establish a threat") as much as fighting Dr Doom (again) -- 4 people gain fairly basic setups for superpowers (even better larger matched to their emotional flaws too), have to come to terms with that whilst battling an enemy (possibly a former friend or someone they are responsible for) that is nominally more powerful than them individually (at least as they are still getting to grips with things -- got to have some power creep for the sequel) is something you can happily do a film contained story with.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't like the other two MCU Spidey movies as much as this one and that's because NWH leeches off nostalgia. Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield are far better Spider-Mans (imo), but to be fair Tom Holland is pretty good as a teen Spider-Man, it's just I've never grown to like or care about his version of SM (he's just.. there).

Sony and MCU know that the next SM movie won't reach the height of this one so they're milking it, that's all.

That said, I'll still eventually check out MCU SM4 when it's out, except at this point it feels like typical Disney-Marvel drivel where they focus on quantity over quality.

At some point the superhero bubble has got to burst like it happened to others (e.g. Westerners).

ateliermae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This movie was my favorite out of the Tom Holland ones! It would be nice if they made others but I hope they'd be better than the two first because they were a bit of sleep material

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2