Hacking Specific ways for CFW and ROM playing, and what is not possible on 3DS and why.

WaitWhat4355

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting a 3DS soon, and I want to really look into homebrew and related things. I have a PSP with CFW for playing a lot of games, and reading books. I am not really extensive with PSP CFW, but I know my way around with it.

The only way for running CFW, that I read, was NinjHax, using Cubic Ninja, weather on the real cart, a flashcart, or a download from the eShop before it was removed from the shop. Since I want to spend as little cash on this as possible, I looked up to see if you could just download a eShop version and use it. I learned that eshop games are stored in the 3DS/XXX/XXX/title, and each one is "hashed" (I do not know if that is the correct term or not) to the 3DS it was downloaded onto. I'm curious if the info that says what eShop games are attached to the 3DS, are on the 3DS itself, or the SD card the game is stored on, or on the eShop game itself. If you can somehow install an eShop onto an SD card via a computer, and somehow hash it to the 3DS, I'd like to know how. If it is not possible, please say why.

The only way to run DS or 3DS ROMs that I know of is via FlashCarts, though these are a bit expensive, and I'd like to spend little as possible. The only ones that I seen that are cheap, run only DS games. I'd like to know all methods of running 3DS and DS ROMs, if any, besides the flashcarts. Also, I'd like to know why you can't run 3DS ROMs off the SD card with homebrew? Or weather or not it will be possible in the near or distance future.

Like the PSP, I know the 3DS cannot run Unsigned code, without homebrew. What is signed code, exactly? Is it marked as "official?" How hard is it to get a program for the 3DS to be signed? I know on the PSP I have an emulator or two that are signed, and can be played without CFW. Is it possible to do that with any programs for the 3DS.

Now, I have a theory, and I'd like to know weather or not it is possible, easy, extremely difficult, or just not worth attempting. The 3DS checks for updates via the internet, then attempts to update if there is a newer version. Would it at all be possible to have a router that isn't connected to the internet, but has a computer or server on it's network, that tricks the 3DS into thinking it is the internet, and/or tricks it into thinking that it is a Nintendo server, with a "new" update for it. And said update is CFW that it reads as official and downloads it, and the CFW(3DS assuming it is OFW) enables unsigned code to be run. Would this be able to be possible, or just considered science-fiction?

Sorry if I seem to say pointless things, ramble, or be unclear. If you have any issues, please say so, and I will edit and fix it the best I can. And if you know of any info that may be useful to me, or be what I want to know, point me in its direction. Thank you in advance.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only CFW is on 9.2 or below, and that would be the leaked CFW (only supports very few games and 4.5 only) or Gateway (which is a flash cart and costs money). You cannot load eShop ROMs from a computer, the stuff is encrypted. You cannot run DS or 3DS ROMs without CFW. Unsigned code is code not signed by a Nintendo signing cert (ie any code you feel like writing). No, we cannot trick Nintendo's HTTPS servers to download a CFW, because encryption.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only CFW is on 9.2 or below, and that would be the leaked CFW (only supports very few games and 4.5 only) or Gateway (which is a flash cart and costs money). You cannot load eShop ROMs from a computer, the stuff is encrypted. You cannot run DS or 3DS ROMs without CFW. Unsigned code is code not signed by a Nintendo signing cert (ie any code you feel like writing). No, we cannot trick Nintendo's HTTPS servers to download a CFW, because encryption.

Might want to research the cfw a little more. Building up .CIA files, they can support more or less any game that doesn't use the 7.x keys via firmware spoofing. To say it doesn't support many games is an outright lie. It will support somewhere in the area of 2/3 of the games out there. That being said, its not the most straightforward or even stable thing out there, but its certainly not as bad as you make it out to be, either.

Reactions: thaikhoa

WaitWhat4355

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are .CIA file exactly, and what can use them. I know they are stripped down versions of .3DS files, which I know are ROMs. And you weren't exactly clear enough for me on the CFW. I'm going to look up into the firmware spoofing to see what it is to get a better understanding of things. And about the theory, what do you mean Nintendo's HTTP servers? I'm talking about tricking the 3DS into thinking your a server, not tricking a server, encryption besides.

WaitWhat4355

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the only way to play 3DS games atm, are with actual Cartridges, FlashCards(Which I really don't want to buy), and a CFW that can only be loaded on 4.5?

*EDIT*So after successfully finding what I believe I need, I think I know what to do. So, to play 3DS games, without buying them or a flashcard, the cheapest route is to get Cubic Ninja and use NinjHax to run CFW and get the program DevMenu(I think that is the name) that allows me to run games off of SD? I'm not sure, and I hope I'm not right, but I think it only runs games that it installed onto SD from an actual cartridge of the game, or from a flashcard. Another issue that I have is that after I got my 3DS, I went through and updated it, and I have to wait until someone makes a method to downgrade from 9.5. I really wish I didn't update, but atleast I can enjoy all the apps for the time being.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So the only way to play 3DS games atm, are with actual Cartridges, FlashCards(Which I really don't want to buy), and a CFW that can only be loaded on 4.5?

*EDIT*So after successfully finding what I believe I need, I think I know what to do. So, to play 3DS games, without buying them or a flashcard, the cheapest route is to get Cubic Ninja and use NinjHax to run CFW and get the program DevMenu(I think that is the name) that allows me to run games off of SD? I'm not sure, and I hope I'm not right, but I think it only runs games that it installed onto SD from an actual cartridge of the game, or from a flashcard. Another issue that I have is that after I got my 3DS, I went through and updated it, and I have to wait until someone makes a method to downgrade from 9.5. I really wish I didn't update, but atleast I can enjoy all the apps for the time being.
I think you misunderstood something.
Ninjahax is Piracy-free CFW so you can't install DevMenu with it to play game.
The one you looking for is Palantine's CFW, there is a guide somewhere on this board on how to install it, search it yourself.
P/s: Never mind, found it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...r-firmware-to-cfw-4-5-without-gateway.378371/

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you misunderstood something.
Ninjahax is Piracy-free CFW so you can't install DevMenu with it to play game.
The one you looking for is Palantine's CFW, there is a guide somewhere on this board on how to install it, search it yourself.
P/s: Never mind, found it.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...r-firmware-to-cfw-4-5-without-gateway.378371/

ninjhax isn't a CFW, it's a series of exploits used to allow homebrew on 3DS, no firmware patching involved. KARL3DS will be able to be run off ninjhax, but doesn't support piracy. And since he updated to 9.5, he's out of luck for yellows8's leaked CFW, and he's never going to be able to downgrade again for at least a year or two since both an ARM11 kernel exploit and an ARM9 exploit would have to be found. Again.

WaitWhat4355

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, my best bet is to either wait a long time for the downgrade exploit to be updated, or go to the pawn shop I got mine at, and see if they'll let me swap it with the other one there? This one I got was on 7.X before updating. They both cost $100, but the difference between them was the one I got came with a Ocarina of Time 3D case and AC adapter, and the other came with a charge stand. Think they'd let me swap them since I reset the PIN, wiped it, and updated it to the latest firmware?

*EDIT*Correct me if I'm wrong. If I get the other 3DS and downgrade to 4.5, will I not be able to play any game release after March 25, 2013(which is when 5.0 was released), without having to update to what the latest firmware the game was released after? If so, I would not be able to play them without the actual cart? But I can still play them and be able to downgrade as long as I don't play/update via a game cartridge released after December 8, 2014(9.3 released)?

**EDIT**I just found out my answer to my question above, on games and updates. I now know about sysNANDs and emuNANDs. SysNANDs are what firmware the system is actually running, weather it is Official or Custom, and emuNANDs are what CFW sysNANDs can run to emulate Official firmware, for things the CFW can't use, like online play and other internet related things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.