Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
_47667848_009140940-1.jpg
QUOTE said:
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak has vowed to respond "resolutely" to the sinking of a warship last month near the sea border with the North.
The North has denied causing the explosion near the disputed border which sank with the loss of 46 sailors.
In an emotional speech, the president wiped away tears as he recited the names of the dead and missing sailors.
He did not mention North Korea but said the South's military would become stronger to prevent similar incidents.
"I, as president, will find out the cause of the Cheonan's sinking in full and in detail," Mr Lee said in a speech broadcast nationally.
Resolution
"I will deal with the results in an unwavering and resolute way, and make sure that such an incident will never recur."

After reading out the names of each of the 46 sailors lost in the incident, he said:
"Your fatherland, which you loved, will never forget you."
The Cheonan, a 1,200-tonne corvette, sank after breaking into two on 26 March.
South Korea has carefully avoiding making any statement blaming the North for the incident, but investigators who have been bringing up parts of the ship in recent days have ruled out an onboard accident or explosion.
They said the damage appeared to come from an outside blast.
Australian, Swedish and US experts are helping in the continuing investigation.

North Korea's KCNA news agency issued more denials of any involvement over the weekend.
"The South's puppet military and right-wing conservative politicians are now making a foolish attempt to link the tragedy to us," it said.
"The reason that the South's puppets are claiming the North's involvement is also linked to their foolish efforts to put pressure on us, even by stirring up international opinion in favour of sanctions."
Analysts have said there is little the South could do if it was proved to be an attack from the North as any armed confrontation between the two parts of the Korean peninsula would damage the South's economy.
The South Korean Foreign Minister, Yu Myung-Hwan, said the UN might have to be called in if the North was shown to have been involved.
Source

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I agree with Antoligy. This is definitely a very dodgy situation. I'd like to say Jong-Il isn't that stupid, but the bloke is barking mad. If it turns out it was him then I can see retaliation happening.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
fgghjjkll said:
If this causes WWIII, i hate to see nuclear weapons being used in this war...
As far as we know North Korea has no *usable* nuclear stockpile? But their military will pack a punch
lecture.gif
Still it'd be them vs the world. And let's not forget we have the nanosuits.

Very hard for any country to use nuclear weapons. Launch one, and a million will rain down upon yourself.
rolleyes.gif

I'd root for good old North Korea and Kim Jong Il though.
blink.gif
All hail the DearLeader!

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
fgghjjkll said:
Yeah but the other countries do. America + China + Russia = Destroy North Korea fifty million times...
....Did you even THINK when you typed that out?
The North Korean, PROC relations are really high. And hell, during the Korean War, the PROC heavenly allied NK
And you should look at this too...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Coop...on_Organisation
This , is more then a cooperation, its an alliance and if anyone fucks with the with the shanghai pact, your pretty much fucked...
And Yes, I know NK isn't in the list but trust me, the PROC would ally NK.

Kkolko

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hmm, North Korea has pretty much isolated itself from the world in past years, even from China. I don't think they'll defend them very strongly if NK ever got attacked, at least not military.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Kkolko said:
Hmm, North Korea has pretty much isolated itself from the world in past years, even from China. I don't think they'll defend them very strongly if NK ever got attacked, at least not military.

If the war was just North and South then chances are China would probably just let them go toe to toe with each other. However, America would likely get involved in the war which in turn would cause China to become involved. There would be no nukes though. Jong-Il might be barmy enough to do it but he wouldn't. He's power mad, you can't power mad without a nation and subjects.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Vidboy10 said:
fgghjjkll said:
Yeah but the other countries do. America + China + Russia = Destroy North Korea fifty million times...
The North Korean, PROC relations are really high. And hell, during the Korean War, the PROC heavenly allied NK
This , is more then a cooperation, its an alliance and if anyone fucks with the with the shanghai pact, your pretty much fucked...
I don't think they would, in a world war.
blink.gif
Maybe during the Korean war, but the government is not that crazy.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
coolbho3000 said:
Vidboy10 said:
fgghjjkll said:
I don't think they would, in a world war.
blink.gif
Maybe during the Korean war, but the government is not that crazy.

True that, since China is not a rogue state. Rogue states, for those who don’t know, are those who don’t really care about anyone or themselves, and would rather strike with collateral damage, e.g. Iran and Ahmedinejad. However, even recently you see China taking a negative stance against North Korea, especially in their nuclear dealings. To those who mention China during the Korean War, it was nearly 60 years ago in a totally different political landscape, Mao Zedong helping out fellow communists against the bourgeois capitalist Americans and their allies. Now you have not-so extremely Communist China and a crazed totalitarian North Korea (who is has been classified as a rogue state, but was taken off the US list of rogue states to appease them in nuclear talks), which I don’t think China would support Korea. In the end it’s all politics, and it would be in China’s best interests to not support North Korea (considering the rising economic trades with South Korea).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o