Hacking Sound corrupted on Virtual Console ROMs.

g4jek8j54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First off, what I am trying to do is to extract the ROMs from my legally purchased Virtual Console games, and run them through the homebrew emulators (mainly SNES9X). I have dumped my NAND using the NAND FS Dumper, and have used U8Tool and a similar tool by iq_132 to extract some of the ROMs from the .app files. However, when I go to run the ROM on any emulator, the picture is okay, but the sound is corrupted, and barely anything can be heard at all. Do the ROMs just not work on these emulators, or is there a method to get them to do so? If so, how can it be done?

Somewhat unrelated, but when I try to extract certain .app files, I get the following error...

QUOTE said:
"Run-time error '5':

Invalid procedure call or argument

I have searched, and cannot find a clear answer for this problem.

Also, I am well aware that I could go online and download these games. However, that is not what I want to do, so please do not offer suggestions like that. Thanks in advance for any help with this!

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a similar result when I was experimenting with virtual console roms myself. Among the strange things I've noticed:

1. The Nintendo 64 emulator saves differently than what my Project64 does, but I can convert it to what Project64 uses with a hex editor. The save also has padding that makes it more than 2.5 times what the save originally is for some reason.
2. The SNES emulator saves standard .srm's from what I've seen, as simply renaming it makes it work with homebrew emulators.
3. Sin and Punishment, and I expect other imports, are translated through the emulator as running the extracted rom on normal emulators will have you notice that the game is the original Japanese.
4. Snes roms don't have sound. (At least, Super Metroid didn't in my tests.) So the sound is probably emulated (or maybe played in this case) by their emulator through a separate mechanism.

I could probably find more irregularities if I kept looking. But I don't think you're doing anything wrong, I think Nintendo is just using strange methods of emulating the games. After all, they have the games' source code, so I can imagine making the emulators would be an entirely different business for them.

g4jek8j54

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the ROMs that I tested were also SNES ROMs (Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Donkey Kong Country 1), and the sound was corrupted on them. The volume had to be turned up real high just to barely hear distorted sound. I figured that there might be problems with something like N64, but I expected the SNES ROMs/Emulators to work without much of a problem.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a fix to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
g4jek8j54 said:
Yeah, the ROMs that I tested were also SNES ROMs (Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Donkey Kong Country 1), and the sound was corrupted on them. The volume had to be turned up real high just to barely hear distorted sound. I figured that there might be problems with something like N64, but I expected the SNES ROMs/Emulators to work without much of a problem.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a fix to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated!

Well, the only solution I could think of would be to look and see if the emulator has the sound code for the game somewhere else and try to patch it into the rom.

But something like that is unpractical, because going through all the trouble to get it to work wouldn't make much sense considering you can get the original rom of the game at around 3 MB uncompressed.

I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear, but I don't think there's anything else you can do unless you find how exactly to patch the rom's sound code in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: