Sony's latest fiscal year report indicates PS5 outselling PS4 units within the same timeframe

ps5.png

Sony released its latest fiscal report today and is the first one to include PS5 sales given that the console released only a couple of months ago. As of March 31st, 2021, the company has sold some 7.8 million PS5 consoles. In comparison, the PS4 sold 7.6 million units within the same timeframe (March 31st, 2014). Despite the PS5 outselling the PS4 in a similar window, demand is still higher than supply for the console.

Sony's report also indicated that during the past fiscal year, it earned $24.4 billion in gaming revenue, sold 338 million games sold for the PS4 and PS5 and that it recorded 47.6 million of PlayStation Plus subscribers (up from 41.5 million at the same point last year).

:arrow: SOURCE

Reactions: Xzi and Mama Looigi

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Scalpers don't keep the stuff they buy, they resell it and they make money because yes there is people willing to buy for them.

Right know an used PS4 Pro is dirty cheap but can't afford it due to Corona..

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Ah yes, Sony. Sharp as always. Because keeping up with demand was never their goal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Uncertainties caused by the pandemic also led to sharp swings in orders last year, which in turn muddied the waters for chipmakers trying to match capacity with demand. That’s why carmakers have had to halt production in 2021 and why Playstations and Xboxes are getting harder to find in stores. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-semiconductors-chips-shortage/
It can take up to two years to get complex semiconductor production factories up and running, and manufacturers are in the process of significantly raising prices for the second time in less than a year. https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ortage-in-computer-chips-reaches-crisis-point

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many of those consoles are being used, and not rotting in some guy's closet?

Also, Sony is creating these consoles at a loss, so scalping is fucking awful for them. They depend more on the person buying the console getting PS+ and blowing money on games. They make their profit back on software and subs.
You'd think with all the info that browsers are picking up from people during all their shopping that vendors could be tracking and blocking an order of greater than one PS5 units would be possible. But its all about the middle man making the money, vending corporations do not care about the producer or the consumers

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm surprised about this actually! The PS4 was everywhere here, and was "given away" with phone contracts, TV contracts and internet contracts. And every family / young adult had a PS4.. now I don't know anyone who has a PS5 :P

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now the question is, can it be trusted? With how much scalping has been going on, how many consoles are actually with people who want one, and how many are unused, waiting as an eBay listing at a ridiculous price?
How many consoles would actually be sold if not for scalpers?

That's hilarious seeing as how most of these sales aren't from actual legitimate customers but instead bots and scalpers. What a shame. What also sucks is that the "one-unit-per-customer" rule didn't even work.

People should never, ever buy from a scalper. Let them rot with their overstock. Wait for the console to become available through normal retail channels. If it takes a year, it takes a year. Let the scalpers rot and learn their lesson.

How many of those consoles are being used, and not rotting in some guy's closet?

Also, Sony is creating these consoles at a loss, so scalping is fucking awful for them. They depend more on the person buying the console getting PS+ and blowing money on games. They make their profit back on software and subs.

Comments like these are (imo) stupid. PS5's aren't stockpiling in peoples/scalpers closets. They are STILL selling (regardless of scalpers prices) like hotcakes on a daily basis to people that actually use them. Period. It also doesn't matter that scalpers bought them or not, they are still sales. I'm sure the numbers are pretty accurate.

Plus they aren't THAT difficult to get (at least in the US). I followed a few of the top Twitter "PS5 Restock" accounts and was able to score one 2 of I believe 5 tries. Would have been 3 out of 5 except the Sony Directs will only allow one per household and payment method so it wouldn't let me check out after adding it to my cart.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Comments like these are (imo) stupid. PS5's aren't stockpiling in peoples/scalpers closets. They are STILL selling (regardless of scalpers prices) like hotcakes on a daily basis to people that actually use them. Period. It also doesn't matter that scalpers bought them or not, they are still sales. I'm sure the numbers are pretty accurate.

Plus they aren't THAT difficult to get (at least in the US). I followed a few of the top Twitter "PS5 Restock" accounts and was able to score one 2 of I believe 5 tries. Would have been 3 out of 5 except the Sony Directs will only allow one per household and payment method so it wouldn't let me check out after adding it to my cart.
Stupid or not, I was trying to prove a point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4