Sony working on PS2 backwards compatibility for PS4

With the release of the PS4 Star Wars: Battlefront bundle came an interesting discovery. Some of the bonus games in the bundle (Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter) aren't just remasters, nor just direct ports. It seems that they're run via an emulator on the PS4, allowing PS2 games to run at a higher framerate and resolution compared to their original releases. An article from Wired reports that Sony is confirmed to be, "working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation."

:arrow: Source

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some rather dodgy news
"According to current reports - based on what appears to be an accidentally posted trailer for PS2 game Dark Cloud running on PS4 - neither discs nor PS2 Classics purchases will be supported.

...a blurb running under the trailer on YouTube, which has now been pulled, included the line "PS2 Classics and PS2-formatted discs are incompatible with the PS4 system."

The blurb for Dark Cloud also mentions other known features of PS4's PS2 emulator, including 1080p rendering and Trophy support, as well as some more welcome new details: the emulator appears to support Remote Play, Share Play, and game manuals displayed on a second screen."

Unconfirmed, and hopefully soon to be debunked, but if true they can royally flock off! Discs not supported, fair enough, wasn't expecting that anyway.. but your PS2 Classics downloads?! Bit greedy there Sony..
I'd much rather make an ISO copy of my Dark Cloud disc and get 1080p from PCSX2. Speaking of... that's not a bad idea. I actually have been craving that game for a while.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users