Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ngppsprereleases.jpg

QUOTE said:
Sony’s planning to re-release select titles from their library of PSP games for their Next Generation Portable (NGP), the company’s told Gigazine.

Additionally (this was known since last week’s event), you’ll be able to download PSP games released on the PlayStation Store and play them on your NGP.

The re-releases Sony’s mentioned today involve re-distributing the game on NGP’s new card format.

As for those who’ve already built up a library of games on UMD, Sony says that they’re currently investigating the possibilities of not having to re-purchase your collection. Though, they have no plans of creating a ‘UMD Reader,’ of any sort.

News Source: ScrawlFX

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
ngppsprereleases.jpg

QUOTE said:
Sony’s planning to re-release select titles from their library of PSP games for their Next Generation Portable (NGP), the company’s told Gigazine.

Additionally (this was known since last week’s event), you’ll be able to download PSP games released on the PlayStation Store and play them on your NGP.

The re-releases Sony’s mentioned today involve re-distributing the game on NGP’s new card format.

As for those who’ve already built up a library of games on UMD, Sony says that they’re currently investigating the possibilities of not having to re-purchase your collection. Though, they have no plans of creating a ‘UMD Reader,’ of any sort.

News Source: ScrawlFX
Doesn't look much different from the original PSP.

Sony isn't doing well in production, I see.
unsure.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:

unsure.gif
neither does the 3DS to all the other DS's

whats your point?

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

Do Sony honestly expect us to believe that? They said exactly the same thing for the PSP Go, it was the reason most people even bought the damn thing, yet they never bothered with a way to transfer UMDs to your PSP Go at all! Sorry guys, but don't go buying an NGP thinking you'll one day be able to play your UMD games on it. You never will. Sony hasn't cared about backwards compatibility since 2006. The only reason the NGP will play PSP games bought off of PSN is because it won't actually cost them anything to put in that function.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

Do Sony honestly expect us to believe that? They said exactly the same thing for the PSP Go, it was the reason most people even bought the damn thing, yet they never bothered with a way to transfer UMDs to your PSP Go at all! Sorry guys, but don't go buying an NGP thinking you'll one day be able to play your UMD games on it. You never will. Sony hasn't cared about backwards compatibility since 2006. The only reason the NGP will play PSP games bought off of PSN is because it won't actually cost them anything to put in that function.
The ignorance on this board astounds me.
mellow.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Joe88 said:
RoyalCardMan said:

unsure.gif

whats your point?
Just because he criticizes the design (which btw has nothing to do with its production) that doesn`t automatically make him a 3DS-Fanboy, which you try to counter with the same argument based on the 3DSes design because you assume he is a 3DS-"Fanboy". But that doesn`t make it any less boring...

I think both systems are designed pretty boringly... Honestly I`d much rather see some difference to other models and I already said that in some other thread where there was a poll to find the best looking consoles/portables and I think the PSPgo is the best in design, even though I acknowledge that they cannot mimic that, since now the NPG has mini-analog-sticks and a very big screen!

Rock Raiyu said:
QUOTE(Wintrale @ Jan 31 2011, 10:11 AM)
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

mellow.gif
I don`t if it is true what Wintrale is saying but if it is I think that`s a valid criticism...

The idea though is pretty good and I think people would be happy to not having to swop games anymore (at least for PSP games
wink.gif
).

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Master Mo said:
Rock Raiyu said:
Wintrale said:
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

mellow.gif
I don`t if it is true what Wintrale is saying but if it is I think that`s a valid criticism...

The idea though is pretty good and I think people would be happy to not having to swop games anymore (at least for PSP games
wink.gif
).
Not really a "valid criticism" since he doesn't even take into account why they may have given up on it and see it from there point of view.

A PSPGo is pretty much a closed system, Sony was trying to accomplish two things:

1) See how the download only market would work.
2) To try and stop piracy on their system.

And for the most part, it worked. It wasn't until recently that they could run pirated PSP games. If they were to allow some sort of transfer to the PSP from UMD, that could lead to an exploit in itself. So its only natural to want to scrap the idea. If Nintendo were in their shoes, I'm very sure they would have done the exact same thing. The fact that they are going to re-release them on their new format could mean that they are very confident in the piracy protection in the system.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Raiyu said:
Not really a "valid criticism" since he doesn't even take into account why they may have given up on it and see it from there point of view.

A PSPGo is pretty much a closed system, Sony was trying to accomplish two things:

And for the most part, it worked. It wasn't until recently that they could run pirated PSP games. If they were to allow some sort of transfer to the PSP from UMD, that could lead to an exploit in itself. So its only natural to want to scrap the idea. If Nintendo were in their shoes, I'm very sure they would have done the exact same thing. The fact that they are going to re-release them on their new format could mean that they are very confident in the piracy protection in the system.
They offered like 5 free downloads, but you had to register them before you could download them. To people who bought the Go with a bunch of games it was a rip-off. However, people with very few games, or no games starting out, it was a perfect buy. I didn't buy it because I thought it was silly. The shelve at my local Gamestop were packed with Gos for months, and they started selling them at extremely low prices to get rid of them (Like 100 dollars apiece).

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rock Raiyu said:
QUOTE said:
Heard that one before. Hope they mean it this time.
QUOTE(Wintrale @ Jan 31 2011, 10:11 AM)
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

Do Sony honestly expect us to believe that? They said exactly the same thing for the PSP Go, it was the reason most people even bought the damn thing, yet they never bothered with a way to transfer UMDs to your PSP Go at all!
To be fair to Sony, they did say that it wasn't going to be possible before they released the system.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Investigating? Please. That's just another way of saying "just say it to shut them up, but lets just sit on our asses and act like we're doing shit to revolutionize gaming."

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

Citation needed. This entire post is inaccurate.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xist said:
Wintrale said:
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

Actually it isn't. I even remembered reading on the net that they were "planning" on bringing out kiosks to game stores like EB or GameStop, or have a trade in where you trade in UMD's, and you get a voucher to download that game on the Go for free.

Never happened.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No they weren't. There was NEVER any mention of a UMD copy scheme...people just got carried away with the idea and ran with it, blaming Sony for not going through with something that they never promised to. What was actually said was along the lines of

QUOTE said:
"We're in the midst of putting together a goodwill program," Koller explained, referring to some sort of plan where gamers could get digital copies of their UMD games. "We'll be unveiling that soon [because] we actually think there's a significant group that will be upgrading from the 1000...So we're looking at a goodwill program -- a short term goodwill program that would continue for years afterward."

The wording is a little confusing, and Koller didn't offer many more details. He did cite the process Sony already uses to transfer Blu-ray movies to the PSP, but he assured gamers would not be ripping the games from the UMDs themselves

Initial Go users had a goodwill scheme where they had to log onto the PSN with a UMD in their old PSP's drive and then get a game. The system above is an accurate description of how the PSN actually works for the PSP.

It's ludicrous rumour spreading like this that makes IQ's lower.

http://tgs.gamespot.com/story/6230410/no-u...sion-for-psp-go

QUOTESCEA also confirmed for GameSpot today that it has no plans to extend the PSP Go Rewards program to US consumers. "SCEA will not offer a UMD rewards program at this time," a Sony representative said.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Master Mo said:
Joe88 said:

whats your point?Just because he criticizes the design (which btw has nothing to do with its production) that doesn`t automatically make him a 3DS-Fanboy, which you try to counter with the same argument based on the 3DSes design because you assume he is a 3DS-"Fanboy". But that doesn`t make it any less boring...

Sigh you're part of the ignorance Rock Raiyu was talking about... That is no where near aimed with the intention of Joe88 thinking he was a fanboy, you claiming otherwise is just stupid. Now had he been a 3DS-Fanboy then him mocking the design WAS a fanboy statement, therefore Joe88 is perfectly fine in saying what he did as a fanboy statement. However he's not, how do you not think these things through first? He countered with the 3DS's design because it is a valid point, or do you see anything logical disproving something you believe as fanboyish?

ShadowSoldier said:
xist said:
QUOTE(Wintrale @ Jan 31 2011, 03:11 PM)
Ahahahahahhaahahahaha!

Actually it isn't. I even remembered reading on the net that they were "planning" on bringing out kiosks to game stores like EB or GameStop, or have a trade in where you trade in UMD's, and you get a voucher to download that game on the Go for free.

Never happened.
Then cite it like xist said...

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argentum Vir said:
Rock Raiyu said:

They offered like 5 free downloads, but you had to register them before you could download them. To people who bought the Go with a bunch of games it was a rip-off. However, people with very few games, or no games starting out, it was a perfect buy. I didn't buy it because I thought it was silly. The shelve at my local Gamestop were packed with Gos for months, and they started selling them at extremely low prices to get rid of them (Like 100 dollars apiece).
How is that Sony's fault that they bought a PSPGo? They should have bought a 1/2/3000 if it were the case. Sony never promised that they were going to make it, they said they were looking into it. They can't accomplish every little thing and satisfy everyone. Nintendo removed GBA compatibility starting with the DSi, everyone bitched about it then they got over it. The DSi had accomplished nothing and not a significant upgrade much like the PSPGo. And if you wanted to play your GBA games, they didn't upgrade from a DSL. The very same applies to the Go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up