Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is much worse than I imagined it to be. I thought this was gonna boot up with some sort of "OS" and it will say please connect this handheld to the PS5 to begin streaming. But no, it is just an ugly, probably overpriced Android handheld that will probably be constantly tethered to the internet. This is very disappointing.

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
Thing is doomed for failure before release, and then sony will wonder "why handheld gaming is dead".

also, handheld gaming is not only about kind of games you can play on next gen consoles, its excuse to have different entrys and spin-offs in series we love, since it's not AAA game, development won't be as expensive, and even new devs can test out idea for new games on handheld device because of that.

Edit : shorter development times are also major plus.

Last edited by Payne,

Chris_Dai_Gyakuten_Saiban

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Welp, given that this "handheld" isn't what I or probably everyone else is looking for, so I'll be keeping my Vita. Also is there any news about DC emulation on PSViTA or has there not been any news since last year?

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

Payne

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
ps vita>all handhelds :gun: :yayone: :yayps3: :psp: :switch: :yaysp: :yayu::yaywii::yaywii::yaynds::yaysp::yayone::gba::switch:
Actually true. Had vita before switch ( still do, I love mine), and always looked forward to getting switch. once I finally got it, It was pretty underwhelming, aside from nintendos published games. sure, some indies are amazing, but thing is not comfortable to hold, far from it (regular switch), its so underpowered that rocket league even on smaller screen looked awful, 2D platformer game I tried to play on TV couldn't maintain 30 fps, and my god, battery life of switch, even on V2. I left both, Vita and switch fully charged before I left for vacation on 2 weeks. when I came back, switch was dead, and vita still on 35%. even while in use, if you play online game on switch, battery dies too fast.

Vita on other hand, contrary to popular belief, has so many amazing games, and when modded, which is fairly easy to do, is simply unmatched.

Reactions: diggeloid

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I'm most intrigued by this device is the possibility that Sony might introduce PS5 gaming experiences with 2 screen gameplay, Wii U style. Would love to see assymetrical gameplay experiences return to the living room. However, I have many doubts that anything like that is on the agenda. Its very likely that this is just meant for streaming and remote play.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
just release the controller as a atachment to any android device (smartphone or tablet) instead of this sh1t device, sony...
no, seriously... i liked the controller form actory, as an acessory to other devices. sadly, i know thats not the case here.

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First glance at the picture I thought it as a day-1 buy android controller compatible with my phone...

Sadly this is not the case, just a useless device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2