Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
Would work with all three current home consoles - including Wii

Owners of multiple consoles can attest to the clutter and occasionally annoying battery maintenance that comes with having several different controllers kicking around the house. Televisions, stereos and DVD players can all be programmed to use one remote control, but gamers are stuck with just the one proprietary kind.

Some may not find this to be a problem, but apparently Sony thinks it's enough of one to file a patent for a programmable universal game controller. Dug up by GoRumors, the US patent is for a touchscreen controller that could change button layout depending on what it's connected to. Here's how the patent puts it:

QUOTE said:
A game console controller includes a hand-holdable housing and a touch sensitive liquid crystal display (LCD) on the housing. The LCD is caused to present, depending on what type of game console a user has selected, a controller key layout for a first type of game console or a controller key layout for a second type of game console. A key layout includes plural keys selectable by a user to input commands to a game console.
sonypsuniversalgamecont.jpg

With all the hubbub about the quality and accuracy of the on-screen touch controls found in many iPhone and iPod Touch games, it's tough to say who would want to experience potentially similar issues on their home consoles. Buttons provide tactile feedback and let you know where your thumbs are, something a flat touchscreen simply doesn't do.

A patent filing doesn't necessarily mean this will ever see the light of day. Still, it's a novel idea, but it's seeming less and less feasible as console makers move towards motion control and further differentiate themselves on how players interact with games; good luck replicating a Wii Remote or Sony's own Arc with that.
Sauce

IRONY.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This will never see the light of day, it would work if this was 1982 or 1993 in which there were add-ons to play games and use controllers from the competition (Pioneer Laser Active and Colecovision), now if this happened, there will be lawsuits and anti-trust claims since this will mean Sony would have a monopoly over the market on controllers.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't know how possible this is. If it is possible, it's definately a nice option. If Sony would simply use this to replace the DualShock 3 in the future it could be a massive blow for Microsoft and Nintendo. After all, owners of multiple platforms (like me) would only buy these controllers in addition to the one that comes with the console.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is preparing for their future as a maker of 3rd party video game accessories.

When you can't beat them, join them.

BELIEVE

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I guess this would be a neat idea. But the touch screen buttons are an immediate turn-off for me. And it'd be awfully expensive if it'd wanna replicate the accelerometers and IR sensors of a Wii Remote.
Also, they'd have to come out with a new revision for every new console generation. Blecchh...

I don't see this ever working out.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
SPH73 said:
Sony is preparing for their future as a maker of 3rd party video game accessories.

When you can't beat them, join them.

BELIEVE
Hahaha, it's probably gonna end up really like that
yaywii.gif
Yeah, it'll be pretty damn funny, too. I just can't believe that Nintendo and Microsoft aren't doing anything about it yet. Oh well, they seem to ignore the most important things...

Trophies
Website
www.zeldainmypocket.com
XP
Country
United States
Man, this would not work. It would screw up the Wii, which already has motion sensor problems. X-Box could probably take it, but it doesn't look too good...

The problem is that game developers look at the controllers for the system they're designing the game for. Super Smash Bros. wouldn't be optimized for this controller, and neither would The Legend of Zelda, Halo, or Mario Kart. If it even starts being manufactured, it will flop, just as their PS3 did. Sony, go back to Japan, and do what you will...
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I sold it a year or two back but I had a controller that worked as a joystick for my master system, c64 and a couple of other similar era consoles with "serial" port connectors via way of a sliding multi throw switch.

Similarly we have seen third party adapters on many import sites for years and all of those were well before the August 2008 filing of this thing.

On the other hand it looks like they are not claiming that as such (at least it is not explicitly detailed in claims).
The USPTO is useless it seems and will only provide free abstracts, fortunately there are other sources:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0041480.html

I reckon attacking the claims rather than the preferred embodiment will be the easiest. Looking at it it appears to be a house of cards as well and kicking a few claims in the head will take it all down.

The bulk of their claim seems to be a dynamic touchscreen and one with a radial or pulldown menu of sorts. I am pretty sure I have seen overlays on pocket computers for years and I could probably drum up a GPS with similar functionality.

Most claims seem to be embodiment specific, indeed the only truly "innovative" claims would have
1, 10 and 16.

The LCD thing (claim 1 and directly referenced in the next nine claims aside from 6 which is calling 5 which directly calls 1) may clinch it
Touch has been around for years:
http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/...o_touch_360.jpg edit- Feb 2012 for those coming in from the newest headache caused by this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLX5LwI6w68

Application specific or otherwise selectable lighting has also been around for years in touchpads on laptops (ever disabled a scroll section and had the lights turn off under it).
Arguably by way of drivers (drivers are at present somewhat of a software creation though while this appears to be hardware/preprogrammed) so has variable controlling (ever tried to use a scroll section of the track pad without drivers?). On the other hand I have had several "gaming" mice over the years with programmable buttons (whether simple DPI sensitivity switches are good enough or not to displace it remains to be seen).
Similarly I am not sure of the dates here but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLw1MXTDlAE&fmt=18 might also trouble this claim.

The key I guess will be whether having an LCD with a touch sensitive overlay will be obvious enough to nullify the claim.

Claim 10 seems to be simple enough but I can not think of any prior art, closest I can think of is something like the dreamcast memory/LCD packs/battery gobblers that could display a varying image on the LCD in game
Resident Evil code veronica displayed a ECG type waveform (health) while Sonic Adventures displayed an arrow is memory serves (direction of "secrets"), either way a varying use/layout and I do not think it would be too difficult to argue that as part of a controller scheme.
A tethered GC/GBA thing might help here but I doubt it, if there is an example of a DS doing it with variable touch screen controls then I fail to see how all is not lost.

Claim 16 would appear to be the variable selector switch to determine console type and change the layout accordingly. I could understand a call/response or protocol for determining the console but this appears to be user selection. Otherwise I think I already took this one.

To me this all looks a defensive patent of sorts rather than an outright innovation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...