Sony patches DNS Bypass, Sony demands Youtube/Twitter to give

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That video has what like 1000+ views. What are they gonna do?
unsure.gif

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I don't know what Sony's trying to do other than "gather info".

Exactly. They're requesting the IPs but we don't really know what they're going to do beyond that. We can throw out as many worst case scenarios as we want, but the bulk of what Sony's doing is still pretty much a mystery. Further, we don't really know if Youtube and Twitter will actually give them the IPs, yeah? As far as I know, they can't, legally.

Sony also is just trying to protect their capital, so, while we can get pissed, what they do is just business. However, I never thought they'd go as far as demanding IPs of people who just posted a damn comment on a video. That's just... shocking.

It's like Sony's a school-child with a rich parent who solves all of his problems.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NamoNakamura said:
Rydian said:
I don't know what Sony's trying to do other than "gather info".

Exactly. They're requesting the IPs but we don't really know what they're going to do beyond that. We can throw out as many worst case scenarios as we want, but the bulk of what Sony's doing is still pretty much a mystery. Further, we don't really know if Youtube and Twitter will actually give them the IPs, yeah? As far as I know, they can't, legally.

Sony also is just trying to protect their capital, so, while we can get pissed, what they do is just business. However, I never thought they'd go as far as demanding IPs of people who just posted a damn comment on a video. That's just... shocking.

It's like Sony's a school-child with a rich parent who solves all of his problems.
They've been subpoenaed, they kinda have to...

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sheaperd121 said:
Geohots attorney replied: “The discovery they call for in my opinion is overbroad,” when asked by The Wired.

rofl.gif

The guy publicized the information for the entire world to see. Sony aren't asking for information indirectly related to the case; they're demanding key evidence.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
if sony keeps acting that way then smarthackers will hack them
really.... thats just against the user privacy rights.
and that can be concluded as criminal activity D=
i mean come on...
even i have some things i don't want them to know,
let alone stand the whole world.
stupid sony >.>

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
zeromac said:
For all you guys screaming "Boycott Sony! Never buy another product of theirs again!"

I bet you will all be buying a Sony product in the future you tough bastards.

I for one am going to still buy the Xperia Play

You might have a point if they actually made quality electronics for the price they charge...which they don't so this is an easy decision for most people. I for one won't be buying the NGP, and certainly not what could possibly be the Ngage 2 (xperia play)

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony has always been low on the ethical side. I'm still shocked over how they developed stealthware on their CDs that secretly installed software on peoples computers to do CD authenticity checks and render peoples CD drives inoperable if it was a burned CD. They really advanced virus technology with that one as malicious people started copying Sony's stealthware. I start to suspect Sony may have criminal connections in the upper administration.

alphax13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow... this is beyond wrong. i was going to buy a new ps3, but now i will just buy a used one at gamestop or somewhere. i will no longer support sony in any way ever. im sure sony will want my i.p address as well to sue me for slander or something.

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
alphax13 said:
wow... this is beyond wrong. i was going to buy a new ps3, but now i will just buy a used one at gamestop or somewhere. i will no longer support sony in any way ever. im sure sony will want my i.p address as well to sue me for slander or something.
Yeah, I don't plan on supporting sony either. If I buy a ps3 it will be used too.

moodswinger

Trophies
XP
Country
First off, FU Sony!

Secondly, I think there's something more to this than what we see. I think SONY sees something that will do permanent damage to their PS3 and it scares the hell out of them. That's why they're freezing hell over now to somehow lessen the bleeding. For them to go over board like this and violate people's privacy, it's crazy...I mean they're not that stupid to pass any subpoena just to scare hackers and the like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hi @Xdqwerty , welcome to gbatemp