Sony NGP will run PSP titles through emulation

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by DigitalDeviant, Jan 29, 2011.

1. DigitalDeviant
    OP

DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

Feb 14, 2010
    United States
    Solar Federation
    [​IMG]

"As announced at PlayStation meeting, the NGP is compatible with PSP software. PSP titles will run completely through emulation, said Hirai.Those who already have downloadable PSP titles on their PSP system will be able to redownload them to NGP, assuming you're still within the download number limits imposed by PSN."
    As announced at PlayStation meeting, the NGP is compatible with PSP software. PSP titles will run completely through emulation, said Hirai.NGP will also support general memory cards, a Sony representative told Impress. Specific formats were not mentioned. The site did not make clear what "support" means.
    Separate from the Hirai interview, the Impress Watch story says that the NGP in its current form will not support video output. The site was told this by a Sony representative.[/p]

Sony has announced that PSP games will run on NGP through emulation, they also announce that NGP will support "general memory cards", though specific formats were not mentioned. Sony states NGP will not support video output, bummer.​

[​IMG] Source

edit: sorry image wont show.

2. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    I'm expecting some crappy compatibility with PSP games then.

3. Nujui

Nujui I need something to do.

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Dreamland.
    Huh, so its like Pspgo in a way?

4. Terminator02

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    problem is u put a line break at the end
    Code:
    [center][thumb]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/11x0127b7y466.jpg
    [/thumb][/center]
    just get rid of it and it will work fine
    Code:
    [center][thumb]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/01/11x0127b7y466.jpg[/thumb][/center]

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    "In it's current form" probably indicates a design change.

6. Arwen20

Arwen20 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    I'm glad that this unit will support my downloaded psp titles. I would not even consider upgrading if I would lose games. However, my abilty to upgrade from my pspGo will depend entirely on the price.

7. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    If it's emulation.. They'll let you use the PSP games for a few years.. then release a firmware upgrade that removes that feature.

8. DigitalDeviant
    OP

Feb 14, 2010
    United States
    Solar Federation
    Thanks terminator02, I should have known that.

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Just pointing this out, but while it's nice to have this backwards compatibility, emulation in itself requires a good deal more power to operate. I wonder just how much more power would be required to run them.

10. DigitalDeviant
    OP

Feb 14, 2010
    United States
    Solar Federation
    I assume it can't be much more than running ported ps3 games.

11. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    Bah, with TV out, it really will be a PS3. I would think it would require some extra tacked on hardware (makes it more expensive) to plug directly into the TV. I'll be willing to bet it would be through the PS3 instead of the TV.

12. DigitalDeviant
    OP

Feb 14, 2010
    United States
    Solar Federation
    How much you wanna bet the NGP lite will have video out. [​IMG]

13. Yuan

Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 1, 2007
    Brazil
    Emulation of PS2 was hardware based, that's why it disappeared on later revisions. If it is totally software based I don't think it will disappear (like PS1 emulation on PSP/PS3)

14. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    If it's so powerful, just a thought soo...do you reckon if it was ever hacked it can emulate 3DS games? [​IMG]

15. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    probably could now that it has a touch screen [​IMG]

16. AndreXL

AndreXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2006
    PSP on NGP through emulation?
    Like the PS2 on PS3 that they just dropped like a dime? Okaaayyy...

17. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Who cares about video?

I'm glad that they'll support general memory cards, most likely contenders are SD, SDHC, and Memory Sticks.

The lack of UMD may cause problems with me playing PSP games but if Namco-Bandai puts out something for the NGP with a high replay value such as the Gundam and Macross games (I want more Gundam and Macross too) or FROM makes another Armored Core or Another Century's, it'll be ok.

18. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Still no way to trade in UMDs for virtual downloads I'm assuming. I wonder if they'll support all the PSP games currently on PSN, or if only a handful will be supported, with one or two more added each month...Hopefully the former, so there is a reasonably strong library of games available instantly, and for previous PSP owners, already a bunch of games to download. Also good its not a proprietary memory card.

19. fgghjjkll

fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

GBAtemp Patron
    fgghjjkll is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2008
    NGP features a 4 core ARM Cortex A9 clocked somewhere from 500-200MHz.
    A "bloated" emulator (JPCSP) can already play many PSP titles on an x86 processor with a clock speed like that.

As long Sony does it right and the emulator is extremely optimized on the ARM processor, there is no reason why NGP can't emulate a PSP.

20. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Not saying it won't. Just saying that it'll use more power running in an emulated environment than in the PSP's own native environment, and because it's on a handheld, power usage is an important factor.