Sony introduces the PS5 controller, the DualSense

fc6F3XL.png

Get ready for the next generation of gaming controllers. The DualShock controller has come a long way, but now Sony is ready to introduce its successor, the newly revealed DualSense. Taking the best of "what gamers love" about the DualShock 4, and adding newer, better features and design, the DualSense will feature haptic feedback, an in-built mic, and adaptive triggers. This new controller will also no longer feature a "Share" button, as it has been replaced by something called the "Create" button. Sony promises more information about this function in the future, closer to launch.

We’ve reached an exciting milestone with PlayStation 5, as we’re starting to ship our new controller in its final design to developers who are implementing its unique features into their games. But first, we wanted everyone in the PlayStation community to get a first look at the DualSense™ wireless controller, and hear our vision for how the new controller will captivate more of your senses as you interact with the virtual worlds in PS5 games. The features of DualSense, along with PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech, will deliver a new feeling of immersion to players.

When PS4 launched in 2013, the DualShock 4 wireless controller garnered a lot of positive feedback from gamers and developers for being the best PlayStation controller yet, and for introducing forward-looking features like the Share button. This brought us to the next question – how do we build upon that success?

After thoughtful consideration, we decided to keep much of what gamers love about DualShock 4 intact, while also adding new functionality and refining the design. Based on our discussions with developers, we concluded that the sense of touch within gameplay, much like audio, hasn’t been a big focus for many games. We had a great opportunity with PS5 to innovate by offering game creators the ability to explore how they can heighten that feeling of immersion through our new controller. This is why we adopted haptic feedback, which adds a variety of powerful sensations you’ll feel when you play, such as the slow grittiness of driving a car through mud. We also incorporated adaptive triggers into the L2 and R2 buttons of DualSense so you can truly feel the tension of your actions, like when drawing a bow to shoot an arrow.

This provided us with an exciting challenge to design a new controller that builds off of the current generation, while taking into account the new features we were adding. For example, with adaptive triggers, we had to consider how the components would fit into the hardware, without giving it a bulky feeling. Our design team worked closely with our hardware engineers to place the triggers and actuators. The designers were then able to draw the lines of how the exterior of the controller would look and feel, with a challenge of making the controller feel smaller than it really looks. In the end, we changed the angle of the hand triggers and also made some subtle updates to the grip. We also took thoughtful consideration into ways to maintain a strong battery life for DualSense’s rechargeable battery, and to lessen the weight of the controller as much as possible as new features were added.

For the buttons, you’ll notice there is no longer a “Share” button as we had with DualShock 4. Don’t worry – it’s not going away. In fact, we’ve built upon the success of our industry-first Share button to bring you a new “Create” button feature. With Create, we’re once again pioneering new ways for players to create epic gameplay content to share with the world, or just to enjoy for themselves. We’ll have more details on this feature as we get closer to launch.

DualSense also adds a built-in microphone array, which will enable players to easily chat with friends without a headset – ideal for jumping into a quick conversation. But of course, if you are planning to chat for a longer period, it’s good to have that headset handy.

Now, let’s talk about the colors. Traditionally our base controllers have a single color. As you can see, we went a different direction this time around, and decided on a two-toned design. Additionally, we changed the position of the light bar that will give it an extra pop. On DualShock 4, it sat on the top of the controller; now it sits at each side of the touch pad, giving it a slightly larger look and feel.

In all, we went through several concepts and hundreds of mockups over the last few years before we settled on this final design. DualSense has been tested by a wide range of gamers with a variety of hand sizes, in order for us to achieve the comfort level we wanted, with great ergonomics. Our goal with DualSense is to give gamers the feeling of being transported into the game world as soon as they open the box. We want gamers to feel like the controller is an extension of themselves when they’re playing – so much so that they forget that it’s even in their hands!

:arrow: Source

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Really? The huge light on top of the DS4 is probably my biggest gripe about it. Nobody looks at the top of the controller while playing, so it only serves to distract by reflecting off your TV, even on the dim setting. I think the subtle light bars on the front of the DS5 will be a big improvement in that regard.

As far as colored buttons go, I think they've only stuck around as long as they have to help new gamers memorize button positions. At this point it's something I'm completely indifferent about, I certainly haven't missed them on the Switch Pro controller.
They're at least on PC pretty easy to configure so I always just turned them to a more muted color. They mostly help in quickly figuring out what controller you're handling with multiple people, which is really nice.

The DS5's more subtle lightbars on the front are actually awful for me. They're like keyboard lights. I have a blue backlight on my keyboard, but I intentionally leave it off most of the time. The reason is that the backlight often only serves to blind me from being able to look at my keys.

The colored buttons are mostly nice when dealing with a non-standard control scheme for a game. While most games have gotten into the "bottom=main action, left=secondary, right=backtrack, up=thought" scheme, not all games do that and some even subvert it. The colored buttons can help a lot in that regard to quickly adjust. A more textual version often sorta like... doesn't work. A good example of that is w/ the 3DS game Samus Returns. Great game, but after having played through several shooters and replaying the game, I found myself miskeying a lot of the options, because it's a Nintendo game which always has sorta screwed up the proper layouts.

Reactions: Xzi

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont get why people moan, its a controller its not ment to get your dick hard or pussy wet (well depending how you use the new vibration tech).

Id have liked it if they replaced the thumb sticks because they were so cheap and nasty on the ps4, the amount of controllers ive had to replace the rubber.

Id hope sony let us turn the stupid light off this time, its pointless unless your using it for vr, which so far not manu games play smoothly for a controller which is daft, i hate point and click to move.

It also looks like theyve kept to pointless touch pad, so im guessing this crap carried over is it for ps4 compatibility, if so why not just add support for the ps4 controller.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I dont get why people moan, its a controller its not ment to get your dick hard or pussy wet (well depending how you use the new vibration tech).

Id have liked it if they replaced the thumb sticks because they were so cheap and nasty on the ps4, the amount of controllers ive had to replace the rubber.

Id hope sony let us turn the stupid light off this time, its pointless unless your using it for vr, which so far not manu games play smoothly for a controller which is daft, i hate point and click to move.

It also looks like theyve kept to pointless touch pad, so im guessing this crap carried over is it for ps4 compatibility, if so why not just add support for the ps4 controller.
yeah that touch pad is the most useless thing ever, the games that use it just make it awful, good god killzone on ps4 was already a poor man games, but adding the slide button imputs to the damn touchpad was even worse, just because it was a launch titles and they wanted to show it off.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah that touch pad is the most useless thing ever, the games that use it just make it awful, good god killzone on ps4 was already a poor man games, but adding the slide button imputs to the damn touchpad was even worse, just because it was a launch titles and they wanted to show it off.
only one game that i know of used it properly and that was second son

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And i think now its only used as a click to open menu or map.

I dont know what thel left button is for, is this again share videos because sony scrapped fb support and arent other services paid for?

So that button could be used to replace the touch pad.

You could easily press ps button then hit a button to record.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they were basically just meant for handheld mode
in handheld mode they're great (gross stick drifting aside).
in docked mode? nah I'll stick to a traditional controller thank you.
man they should really make circle pad joy cons
Even in the handful of times I use handheld mode (I generally prefer docked due to superior audio and visuals, and even before COVID-19 I rarely travelled; only to university, really, where reading fanfics on my phone was enough of a time-passer), I still despise the JoyCons. Their stubbiness means they have very little range; I find myself just flicking the analog sticks, which is just not ideal whatsoever.
Then there's their positioning, which stupidly carried over to the Pro Controller. I get why they couldn't have aligned analog sticks for the JoyCons (each one can be used as its own mini-controller, so the stick has to be on each Con's left side), but that also alienated me - the Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Pro and GamePad controllers, and all PlayStation controllers since the DualShock 1 (well, 2, in my case; I grew up with the PS2 Slim) have all had aligned analog sticks, so this sudden shift (that was kept for the Switch Pro Controller) was not at all welcome.

The Switch has fine enough games, I suppose, but its controllers are utterly abhorrent. Nintendo didn't even fix this with the Switch Lite, which doesn't have removable JoyCons.
That's why I use my Wii U Pro Controller with my Switch. Far more comfortable analog sticks, both in construction and in location.

...Anyway...DualSense. If Sony had any sense - ironically enough - they'd release different colours, like they always have AND to offset this negative "hype" surrounding this announcement.

Plasmaster09

Social Justice Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even in the handful of times I use handheld mode (I generally prefer docked due to superior audio and visuals, and even before COVID-19 I rarely travelled; only to university, really, where reading fanfics on my phone was enough of a time-passer), I still despise the JoyCons. Their stubbiness means they have very little range; I find myself just flicking the analog sticks, which is just not ideal whatsoever.
Then there's their positioning, which stupidly carried over to the Pro Controller. I get why they couldn't have aligned analog sticks for the JoyCons (each one can be used as its own mini-controller, so the stick has to be on each Con's left side), but that also alienated me - the Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Pro and GamePad controllers, and all PlayStation controllers since the DualShock 1 (well, 2, in my case; I grew up with the PS2 Slim) have all had aligned analog sticks, so this sudden shift (that was kept for the Switch Pro Controller) was not at all welcome.

The Switch has fine enough games, I suppose, but its controllers are utterly abhorrent. Nintendo didn't even fix this with the Switch Lite, which doesn't have removable JoyCons.
That's why I use my Wii U Pro Controller with my Switch. Far more comfortable analog sticks, both in construction and in location.

...Anyway...DualSense. If Sony had any sense - ironically enough - they'd release different colours, like they always have AND to offset this negative "hype" surrounding this announcement.
I get the size, but opposite sticks is just a thing that works. The only times it isn't done are the Wii/Wii U secondary controllers, which were done because of their size and shape (and because the GamePad also did it because it was so damn huge), PlayStation controllers (because the original was basically just a SNES controller with grips, the Dual Analog just slapped sticks on the bottom and they have never experimented outside of that design since with major controllers, and no the Move doesn't count) and third party stuff that's trying to mimic one of the above.
Most of the time, you're going to have your thumbs on the left stick and face buttons. It just makes sense.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I get the size, but opposite sticks is just a thing that works. The only times it isn't done are the Wii/Wii U secondary controllers, which were done because of their size and shape (and because the GamePad also did it because it was so damn huge), PlayStation controllers (because the original was basically just a SNES controller with grips, the Dual Analog just slapped sticks on the bottom and they have never experimented outside of that design since with major controllers, and no the Move doesn't count) and third party stuff that's trying to mimic one of the above.
Most of the time, you're going to have your thumbs on the left stick and face buttons. It just makes sense.
This is a subjective thing, but for me..."opposite sticks" just doesn't work. The sticks can be above (Wii U) or below (PlayStation, Wii Classic) the d-pad and face buttons; either of those work. But when it tries to shift just one stick to the opposite location, it stops being comfortable in my hands. It's not what I'm used to.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1) Have never had an issue with the rubber wearing off of any Sony controllers, but have with many XB controllers.

2) If you didn't have a DualShock 4 when the PS5 came out, you'd most likely complain that you have to spend an additional $60 for a PS4 controller when they could have just built it into the PS5 controller. ;)

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Yep as expected this thread would get a stupid comment of the day :lol:
Well every "stupid" comment gets equaly stupid reply haha :lol:

Cause.. get it? you didn't get the point and never bothered to ask what i meant hahaha
so it makes it rally stupid haha :rofl2:

Cause clever comments would argue ahahaha
but why bother with discussion on internet when you can make stupid replys and call other comments stupid hooooo hohohoho

thats so evil hoohohohohhoooo

DelayedThirdAnhinga-size_restricted.gif

Last edited by MetoMeto,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: GilgameshArcher

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh for fucks sake sony
this is the one time where i wished you didnt innovate or change the dualshock design
now it looks like a bootleg xbox controller... it doesn't look like it handles well too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: