Sony Files PS Jailbreak Lawsuit In US

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
For those of you who didn't hear, PSJailbreak was made permanently illegal to import here in Aus. Apparently the court made this decision on the basis that the 'PSGroove' alternative is free, open-source and did not allow for piracy off the bat. (Although it does with a simple modification)

Success?
biggrin.gif

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Rydian said:
I agree with OtherOS removal being a big part of it.

With it, the real hackers didn't have much of a reason to find ways to run unsigned code since you could do it in a linux environment (although with a framebuffer driver) already... but with it removed, and suddenly the PS3 is another system with vastly untapped potential, moreso because of it's great processing power.

The people that want to run homebrew find some exploits, and the people that want piracy slightly modify them to allow game backups.

OtherOS removal had zero to do with it. You think the PSJailbreak people give a shit about homebrew? Money is the motivation.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
once it's possible for PSGroove to be put onto any usb stick or some other alternative than the dev boards than that's it game over sony pirates win!
tongue.gif

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dont know if it's the right place to post this, but according to MuscleNerd's twitter, psgroove is gonna have an iPhone port soon:
http://is.gd/eW0o0

That lawsuit is finally a good idea, Sony avoid customers spending money on expensive dongle while free solutions are available.
smile.gif

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bladexdsl said:
so sony is ok with modding the ps3 as long as it's free?!
wtf.gif

I think the main problem was the fact PSJailbreak was made for piracy.

PSGroove comes with piracy disabled (even if it can be re-enabled easily), that makes all the difference.

TheYummyKenshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
once it's possible for PSGroove to be put onto any usb stick or some other alternative than the dev boards than that's it game over sony pirates win!
tongue.gif

It's not possible for it to be put on a usb stick because it requires hardware to basically emulate a usb hub. There have been many ports to other devices though. A couple of smart phones already have a port of the the groove and there's a PSP port in the works.

boudincaca said:
Dont know if it's the right place to post this, but according to MuscleNerd's twitter, psgroove is gonna have an iPhone port soon:
http://is.gd/eW0o0

That lawsuit is finally a good idea, Sony avoid customers spending money on expensive dongle while free solutions are available.
smile.gif

So a jailbroken iPhone can jailbreak the PS3 soon :3

boudincaca said:
QUOTE(Bladexdsl @ Sep 5 2010, 03:05 PM)
so sony is ok with modding the ps3 as long as it's free?!
wtf.gif

I think the main problem was the fact PSJailbreak was made for piracy.

PSGroove comes with piracy disabled (even if it can be re-enabled easily), that makes all the difference.
Well technically it was made to run the backup loader program the company also developed which requires you to have the disc to backup yourself. Of course people started making dumps of games that are ready to use though.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
NO no no no, this makes perfect sense!

Sony is suing to make up for loss in game sales, nothing greedy, just getting the money a different way.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
iNFiNiTY said:
Rydian said:
I agree with OtherOS removal being a big part of it.

With it, the real hackers didn't have much of a reason to find ways to run unsigned code since you could do it in a linux environment (although with a framebuffer driver) already... but with it removed, and suddenly the PS3 is another system with vastly untapped potential, moreso because of it's great processing power.

The people that want to run homebrew find some exploits, and the people that want piracy slightly modify them to allow game backups.

OtherOS removal had zero to do with it. You think the PSJailbreak people give a shit about homebrew? Money is the motivation.
The jailbreak people weren't the original creators, they just made it easy to use and made a backup manager.

I'm talking about the original hackers that found the most basic exploits (like geohot) that opened holes for others to come in.

TheYummyKenshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm psjailbreak keeps delaying their shipment and are now charging a 10% restocking fee for people who cancel their orders. In other news, PSGroove has been ported to the Dingoo system.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Unless you know something everyone else doesn't it is indeed the Jailbreak team who found the exploit (or at least someone who made it and sold it to them). No one had ANY idea there was a USB exploit until then, even sceners in-the-know had alternate theories on what it was, it was very unexpected. Obviously they got their hands on a JIG device and were exploring options with it and happened to come across this USB hub mistake by Sony.

The 'holes' opened before didn't help anything, it's completely independent and geohot doesn't deserve any credit for something that's unrelated. The only thing he achieved is getting OtherOS removed with zero benefit from it. That's why people keep exploits private until they are found to have a valid use, not just a useless proof of concept.

D

Deleted User

Rydian said:
Alex666 said:
isnt it illegal because they used sonys SDK for the code?!
No, that's like saying if I steal a hammer and build a doghouse with it the doghouse becomes stolen property.
The finished product certainly wouldn't be illegal, however to use the SDK you require to get a license from Sony, which presumably the makers of PSJailbreak didn't have...

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
Rydian said:
Alex666 said:
No, that's like saying if I steal a hammer and build a doghouse with it the doghouse becomes stolen property.
The finished product certainly wouldn't be illegal, however to use the SDK you require to get a license from Sony, which presumably the makers of PSJailbreak didn't have...

Actually, under the US DMCA the final product may be illegal if its sole purpose is deemed to be to circumvent copyright/encryption protections put in place by Sony to protect their IP. May also be illegal under other clauses as well... and if the SDK was used to create it, and some of that code is still used in the final product, that certainly would be infringing on Sony's IP.

TheYummyKenshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
w!! said:
warmijwilfaain said:
Rydian said:
Alex666 said:

Actually, under the US DMCA the final product may be illegal if its sole purpose is deemed to be to circumvent copyright/encryption protections put in place by Sony to protect their IP. May also be illegal under other clauses as well... and if the SDK was used to create it, and some of that code is still used in the final product, that certainly would be infringing on Sony's IP.
The SDK was only used to make the backup loader program. The dongle doesn't contain any copyrighted Sony data.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
TheYummyKenshin said:
w!! said:
warmijwilfaain said:
Rydian said:
Alex666 said:

The SDK was only used to make the backup loader program. The dongle doesn't contain any copyrighted Sony data.
he was saying that if the judge is ignorant enough then he may overlook homebrew and deem that it is used solely for piracy

thebigboss14

Trophies
Website
thebigboss14.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
mangaTom said:
Aw, I just planned on buying a PS3 and this happened.(PS3 Games really cost much in our place)
They absolutely do and the best ones are those in the range of the highest prices. The other day my friend pay about 70 dollars to get Mafia II the day it came out. I was like men 80 for a game an a stupid magazine that's crazy man with all that I could buy a couple of more interesting things. Really the prices for the PS3 games are not for me and I think that the PS3 is worth it for what it has inside and that's it(Blu-ray Disc player, graphics, processor and ram. That's it.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E