Nintendo Sues California Man for Allegedly Rigging Consoles and Pirating Games

Nintendo says the defendant is also instructing players on how to use the illegal components "in a manner least likely to be caught or arouse suspicion."
PirateMario.jpg

Legal paper filings can be read in the attached PDF below. Mr. 'Mikel Euskaldunak' was selling modded NES Classic Min’s pre-loaded with over 800 ROM’s for only just $15 dollars more above the official retail price. He was also selling Switch units with 'payload' injector dongles and including some pirated Switch games on an MicroSD card. - Doubly wrong, and most likely will be found guilty on 9 charges.
In addition to infringing its copyrights directly, Nintendo claims Euskaldunak and countless other currently unnamed defendants are also inducing users to infringe them and are liable for contributory copyright infringement as well.

"Defendants provide users of the modification with the tools to infringe and instructions on how to use the modification in a manner least likely to be caught or arouse suspicion," writes attorney Kenneth Parker in the complaint, which is posted in full below.

Nintendo also claims the defendants are infringing and diluting its trademarks. The company is asking the court to order an injunction barring defendants from continuing to make, sell or otherwise distribute technology that circumvents its controls.
Like when Sony went after PSJailbreak and GeoHot, they have added on '100' John Doe's to this court filing, so if they get a 'ruling' they can then change the 'John Does' to real people once they have trace them down and figured out their names, etc.

:arrow: Sources: HollywoodReporter and MaxConsole

Attachments

• 395564764-Nintendo-v-Euskaldunak.pdf
    242.8 KB · Views: 72

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The title is misleading, he's actually being sued for copyright infringement. He's actually breaking the law by selling modded systems with copyrighted material and making a profit off of those copyrighted ROMs that he doesn't legally have the rights to redistribute.

Last edited by The Catboy,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same as the last 500 times this happened. Court case is for the ROMs, PR spin (which I guess we are participating in) is highly slanted towards the modding.

I am slightly curious to see arguments put against various mod chips and such for the Switch though. Times have changed somewhat since last time Switch style techniques were the method of choice.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hahah what a dumbass amateur serves him right it's his own fault and greed that got him caught. his just as stupid as these idiots trying to pawn these on ebay :lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

PalomPorom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shit people do for money. And the lawsuit is going to cost him way more than what he made pirating

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Finally some good news at last Nintendo are stepping up their game if the mods don't allow pirating like custom themes then i can get behind that as some of the custom themes are very creative, but when it's for piracy then that's a different story.

Reactions: JSMastah

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Switching my home routing/firewall solution from pfsense to OPNsense. Boy how I hate networking...