Sony Files PS Jailbreak Lawsuit In US

TheYummyKenshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't the courts recently rule that the act of Jailbreaking to be perfectly legal after Apple tried to stop it on their iPhones? The device itself just allows the ps3 to operate in a mode that disables the checks to make sure the code was approved by Sony. While this mode can allow for piracy, it does NOT mean that the device itself preforms the piracy. I can easily see the iPhone jailbreaking ruling to apply here.

Gamer5501

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chrisrlink said:
well its useless to pirate games seeing tha BD's have very large disc capacities like 50GB+ so you may only be able to store 1-2 games on the ps3's HDD besides that torrenting would take forever and last time i checked games you own is legal to back up

thats true and thats why we buy an external HD with a tb or more on it

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony: We are protecting our assets! It will not be a big deal if we left the PS3 as a console that can install any 3rd party OS or software. However, we feel that the PS3 should remain as a hardcore gaming console with epic graphics that only true gamers can appreciate. The PS3 is more than just a console, its a gaming device that can support limitless amount of raw power to game developers.

This PS Jailbreak is exactly what it is...a jailbreaking device for gamers. Although we have installed the USB feature to help making extra storage for the PS3 when the internal HD becomes close to being full, its still not up for debate whether the PS Jailbreak still be free on the market causing a suitable amount of assets missing from the company. With that said we feel its in our power to help gamers and customers alike to stop buying that device before it can cause a virus inside their system thus creating issues that they don't want to have.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
good fucking luck.

may the rebels win this fight

btw : sony : the hack contains ZERO copyrighted code.

so sony winning this case has a snowball chance in hell

if sony wins this. You KNOW the court was bought

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I think PS3 games were safe because all the good ones were also on the Xbox360 (Minus disgaea 3
frown.gif
) and PS3 just kind of sucks. I love my PS2 and PSP, but never saw a reason to get a PS3... But if a good exploit is released I'll have no choice. I'll have to buy one.

As for games, I seriously doubt any game has ever used the full capacity of a Blu-ray disk.

Shinintendo

Trophies
Website
games4gamer.net
XP
Country
Iceland
I say they put up a show to the game developers. to make it look like they take care of their investors, if they won't developers will start to disappear or stop making exclusive games for the ps3.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that either the dongle contained proprietary code, or because an actual Sony jigstick was simply taken and reverse-engineered.

To everyone saying that jailbreaking is now legal under DMCA and all that good fun, GTFO. Seriously. Jailbreaking, referring to an iPhone, simply means to allow you to switch to any carrier and install non-Apple applications. We already have non-Sony games, and there are no carriers for consoles. Just because this has the word "jailbreak" in the name, doesn't mean it is exactly the same thing.

This is simply Sony's proprietary way of enabling/loading developer "mode" on the system, to allow for diagnostics, etc. This is used by Sony to fix PS3s. This is no way frees the device.

Not allowing homebrew on a system is a staple in the industry. But that's not even the issue here. The issue is that the jigstick is in some form stolen from Sony. So they sue. Common sense.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
I was under the impression that either the dongle contained proprietary code, or because an actual Sony jigstick was simply taken and reverse-engineered.Nope.

QUOTE(OrGoN3 @ Sep 4 2010, 04:30 AM) To everyone saying that jailbreaking is now legal under DMCA and all that good fun, GTFO. Seriously. Jailbreaking, referring to an iPhone, simply means to allow you to switch to any carrier and install non-Apple applications. We already have non-Sony games, and there are no carriers for consoles. Just because this has the word "jailbreak" in the name, doesn't mean it is exactly the same thing.
Try reading what I said again, please. I never mentioned jailbreaking, I mentioned bypassing DRM (which was the issue with the DMCA).

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this straight, it's some modchip seller fault the reason why Sony loaded up all the consoles with a debug mode that lets people play backup games.

The way I see it, it's not the dongle that plays back ups, its the debug mode that allows the plays of backups. The debug mode (as far as I know) is already on the system preloaded by Sony. If it's anyone's fault for this happening, it's Sony's fault.

papavader

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Puregamer said:
mkoo said:
DMCA is a ridiculous law.

Oh and I would consider buying a PS3 if I could pirate games.

Exactly, they're just losing sales because of this.

Sony's stupid. Since when have you ever heard of a ps3 developer complaining about piracy causing sale losses.

People buy consoles because they're hackable and you can pirate.
Those must be some of the most stupidest posts I have ever read. You really think Sony, Nintendo or MS primary concern is selling the console? Most of them are sold on razor thin margins, if not at a loss (original Xbox). It's all about the games. That is where the profit lies. So, in their POV, they really don't give a sh*t about those who want to hack the console. Why would they?
rolleyes.gif
They are within their rights to protect themselves. Getting angry about that is the pinnacle of stupidity.

That said, they brought it on themselves by removing "Other OS" as the hack is now in the wild and was apparently made possible with some of Geohot's findings.

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
papavader said:
Puregamer said:
mkoo said:
DMCA is a ridiculous law.

Oh and I would consider buying a PS3 if I could pirate games.

Exactly, they're just losing sales because of this.

Sony's stupid. Since when have you ever heard of a ps3 developer complaining about piracy causing sale losses.

People buy consoles because they're hackable and you can pirate.
Those must be some of the most stupidest posts I have ever read. You really think Sony, Nintendo or MS primary concern is selling the console? Most of them are sold on razor thin margins, if not at a loss (original Xbox). It's all about the games. That is where the profit lies. So, in their POV, they really don't give a sh*t about those who want to hack the console. Why would they?
rolleyes.gif
They are within their rights to protect themselves. Getting angry about that is the pinnacle of stupidity.

That said, they brought it on themselves by removing "Other OS" as the hack is now in the wild and was apparently made possible with some of Geohot's findings.

+1

I totally agree with your post papavader, the primary income for any console manufacturer comes from the games NOT from the console Hardware itself!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I agree with OtherOS removal being a big part of it.

With it, the real hackers didn't have much of a reason to find ways to run unsigned code since you could do it in a linux environment (although with a framebuffer driver) already... but with it removed, and suddenly the PS3 is another system with vastly untapped potential, moreso because of it's great processing power.

The people that want to run homebrew find some exploits, and the people that want piracy slightly modify them to allow game backups.

TheYummyKenshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OrGoN3 said:
I was under the impression that either the dongle contained proprietary code, or because an actual Sony jigstick was simply taken and reverse-engineered.
As it was stated before but I'll state it again. While they apprently used a offical Sony Jigstick, it was only used to see how it works. The exploit itself is completely homebrew and no copyright code was used.

OrGoN3 said:
To everyone saying that jailbreaking is now legal under DMCA and all that good fun, GTFO. Seriously. Jailbreaking, referring to an iPhone, simply means to allow you to switch to any carrier and install non-Apple applications. We already have non-Sony games, and there are no carriers for consoles. Just because this has the word "jailbreak" in the name, doesn't mean it is exactly the same thing.
Jailbreaking an iPhone does not allow allow different carriers. That's unlocking which isn't protected by the Jailbreaking ruling to my knowledge. While we have non-Sony games, EVERY game released has to be approved by Sony before they can be released (the same applies for those Apple apps, they're not all made by Apple but all have to licensed by Apple to be released). That is why all games have traditionally showed the the Sony logo when it is first loaded. In order to release a game on the PS3 (or any other console for that matter) you have to go through Sony approval and pay a licensing fee.

OrGoN3 said:
This is simply Sony's proprietary way of enabling/loading developer "mode" on the system, to allow for diagnostics, etc. This is used by Sony to fix PS3s. This is no way frees the device.
Half true. While the dev mode is most likely used for repairing PS3s, it DOES free the system. Dev mode was originally designed for game developers in mind. It allows non signed code to run as well as has a Blu-ray emulation mode so the game devs don't have to constantly reburn a game they're producing to test out any changes they've made. While games are in dev, they aren't signed and therefore cannot run in a normal PS3. The devs just have special PS3s that are permanently in dev mode.

QUOTE(OrGoN3 @ Sep 4 2010, 01:30 AM)
Not allowing homebrew on a system is a staple in the industry. But that's not even the issue here. The issue is that the jigstick is in some form stolen from Sony. So they sue. Common sense.
The dongle has nothing stolen from Sony. The ONLY thing that has copyright code would be the HD loader program which ISN'T included with the dongle. It needs to be downloaded from the website if what I've read is correct. Sony would have a better chance with a lawsuit against the psjailbreak website for distroing the backup manager than against the people who distro the dongle itself. ALSO the PS3 was originally released allowing homebrew through the use of Linux in the otherOS install option that they removed in one of the firmware updates.

In short the dongle has many similarities to Jailbreaking an iPhone. Both allow non licensed code to be run. Jailbreaking the iPhone basically allows you to install homebrew programs or programs not approved by Apple. The same thing appies to the dongle allows the ability to run non-Sony approved programs IE homebrew.

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
Would be sweet if MS, Nintendo or Sony made a console that have legit homebrew.
Maybe similar to MS XNA, but free.

Also i dont really care for the PS3 jailbreak stuff, as long as we dont get any n00bish online cheaters.
(Looks at CoD:MW2 for X360)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1