GBAtemp's vigilante
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
As everyone knows, the PSP is a system that has been plagued with piracy issues, but Sony is starting to get a grasp on the problem. The notorious Pandoras Battery made modifying the official PSP firmware on PSP devices extremely easy a caveman could do it. With the recent PSP-3000, Sony started to show they are acting on measures to protect further PSP models from suffering the same fates as the 1000 and 2000 models. Sony's John Koller had this to say:

"We've had a lot of success with the 3000," Koller says when I bring up the issue. While the earlier models of the PSP were incredibly easy to use with ripped or downloaded games, the PSP Go is going to make things tougher on the pirates. "You won't be able to rip your games and play them on the system, the firmware precludes that," Koller explained. "There's no external battery, so there's a number of protections put into place on the system."

Although this is sure to protect the PSP Go, this may come of as one slight downfall for the PSP Go now. When that battery starts to wear down, that means sending that sexy device to sony for a couple of weeks with a fee.

source: Playstation Insider

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meh.

It seems to me that Sony is nowadays specialized in making their products less and less appealing as the time passes.

I mean, can't change batteries?! WTF.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Meh.

It seems to me that Sony is nowadays specialized in making their products less and less appealing as the time passes.

I mean, can't change batteries?! WTF.
Indeed, a mega WTF. The least they could've done is what Nintendo has done with the Nintendo DS, and just make it so you need to unscrew a panel to get access to the battery...

Hopefully this doesn't mean Sony will do this with the PSP 4000 when it comes out too...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do people actually want one of these instead of a previous model?

The controls still look awful.

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope the PSP Go gets hacked.
I see many people at gamestop buyin PSP games, the "pirate" community is rather small maybe a few thousands.
It really shouldn't matter that much, if the games are not being sold is cause they are lame.
I will pay for some of the new games on the PSP Go since I'm getting one but only the ones I find I like which is probably just socom 3.
Havent used my PSP in a while and havent even bother playing that final fantasy game that was leak because
I'm not that interested.
You can't loose money if the person was never going to buy a game in the first place.

supersonic124

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
While the earlier models of the PSP were incredibly easy to use with ripped or downloaded games, the PSP Go is going to make things tougher on the pirates.

how is it tough on pirates if you dont get a psp go

GenesisX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna laugh when the PSP Go gets hacked
tongue.gif
, and I'm pretty sure sony is running out of ideas
ohmy.gif

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The next thing they'll do is to stop people from the US from making Japanese PSN accounts. I currently have one so I can get DLC for Idolmaster SP.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe next time they'll design a battery that CAN'T BE REPROGRAMMED.

Sony have screwed the PSP brand, there's no real incentive to get a PSP Go.
It can download retail-umd games from the PSP Store? So what? The PSP-2000 can download retail-umd games for free, guess which one I'd buy?

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hope no one buys the PSP Go, so Sony learns from the epic fail that it is. Although it looks awful, I'm not going to jump to conclusions and say it is. Surely Sony isn't that stupid.

Dark_linis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of hate for the Go here.

I actually really want one. I dont really know why but it just appeals to me.

It also doesn't help that my phat is dying slowly but surely.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
"You won't be able to rip your games and play them on the system, the firmware precludes that,"

It would be a good feature if the psp could rip umds and digitally sign them so they only work on that psp. Also no umd slot so firmware doesn't matter for ripping.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
purplesludge said:
QUOTE said:
"You won't be able to rip your games and play them on the system, the firmware precludes that,"

It would be a good feature if the psp could rip umds and digitally sign them so they only work on that psp. Also no umd slot so firmware doesn't matter for ripping.

Media Go allows for the backup of official PSP games (if you own the UMD).

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lost me at the price to begin with I could get a Xbox at that price expecally since the DSi is 80 dollars cheaper.Not hackable what about Chick-Hen eventually something like that will work on the GO so no battery hack just means more time that hackers spend on hacking the software meaning psp 3K hacked alot faster, and media go sounds really expliotable put games on Go or write homebrew to iso and use that to install CFW.This also better mean high quality battery that holds twice the charge of normal psp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton