Sony Considered Dual-Analog for PSPGo

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Sony development boss has revealed that twin sticks were considered for the PSP but backwards compatibility got in the way and ruined such plans!

QUOTE said:
Sony development boss Shuhei Yoshida stated: “We also felt, like many users, that we wish we had a second analogue on the PSP.

“But we are talking about the mid-life cycle of this platform, and the PSPgo is designed to be perfectly compatible with the PSP-3000 and all the games that released before that.

“So we had a very serious discussion about this particular subject, but we decided not to add a second analogue, and some of the developers are doing quite a nice job translating the second analogue functionality to different buttons. We didn’t want to divert their efforts either.”

News Source: MCVUK

To me this is just an excuse just so they can find some sympathy. They could've easily have an option to disable and reenable it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rock Raiyu said:
A Sony development boss has revealed that twin sticks were considered for the PSP but backwards compatibility got in the way and ruined such plans!

QUOTE said:
Sony development boss Shuhei Yoshida stated: “We also felt, like many users, that we wish we had a second analogue on the PSP.

“But we are talking about the mid-life cycle of this platform, and the PSPgo is designed to be perfectly compatible with the PSP-3000 and all the games that released before that.

“So we had a very serious discussion about this particular subject, but we decided not to add a second analogue, and some of the developers are doing quite a nice job translating the second analogue functionality to different buttons. We didn’t want to divert their efforts either.”

News Source: MCVUK

To me this is just an excuse just so they can find some sympathy. They could've easily have an option to disable and reenable it.

LOL, stupid Sony! That was all some PSP owners wanted, and then they say that they considered it.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
How does adding buttons hurt backwards compatibility besides the fact old games might not support the extra joy stick?

Potentially. Yes.

For example, the Socom games. So, great a second analog stick makes it better to control aiming. But now they could start to map other functions to the regular buttons i.e. shortcut calls for movement, etc.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
they could have added an option to map certain buttons to the 2nd analog. if they did that and started re-releasing games on psn with the extra analog enabled in games i would have been sold and considered buying the go :S

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm, that would be like, if a developer would make a retail-game, which uses the camera and the additional power of the dsi... He would lose the whole install-base of the older models. Not gonna happen!

So if a developer would use the additional analog-stick they would most definitely need to make a control scheme for the older models as well... I don`t see this happen...

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, fuck that.
They should've originally added two to the Phat.

I've never seen ANYTHING with only one analog, especially from Sony.
Ah well, their loss. They could've made plenty more sales on the Go! if they implemented a second nub.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This one is for you SONY ...

39128710037872615390.jpg

Maby release a 2 stick version as a Version 2 instead of a SLIM and even smaller version next time round?!

They are stupid missed the big cash opportunity that they could release it with 2 sticks ... then release the whole back catalogue of PS2 games for it as DLC!

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
The PSP has had enough hardware revisions as it is, save the second analogue for the PSP2.

Although I'm only saying this because I have a Slim, and would rage if new PSP games couldn't be played on it because it required a second analogue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo