Summer Games Fest 2021 roundup: Death Stranding Director's Cut announced

Sliding in right before E3 2021 begins is the Summer Games Fest 2021. Today marks the first day of the event, called Kickoff Live, where host Geoff Keighley has promised game reveals, updates to ongoing projects, and various sorts of entertainment. Summer Games Fest will begin at 11 AM PT/7 PM BST. You can tune in live on Twitch or YouTube, but if you're not into watching the whole event, you can always check back here to this thread to see the live updates as they're made.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is the latest project from Gearbox, set to release early 2022. It's a new game in the Borderlands universe. But, it's a standalone game that doesn't require knowledge of previous games in the series. You'll be able to customize your character and rather than guns, magic has a major focus in the game.

A series from the 90s is coming back. This is the world premiere for an SNK title Metal Slug Tactics, coming to Steam. It was originally a mobile phone game from 2009.

An interview with Kojima is next on the schedule. He discusses the impact that covid has had on him and his team. He also mentions that he's been re-thinking his creative process, saying that just like after 9/11, creators need to consider what direction to take their entertainment, in a post-coronavirus world. As a tease for his next project, he says it won't be like the past. Introducing ideas and concepts for the player that stick with them is important to him.

Oh, but it wasn't just a tease. We do get to see a PlayStation 5 trailer for something. We see the main character from Death Stranding, as he overturns a box and considers hiding in it. He then reshelves the box and walks away. Death Stranding: Director's Cut has been announced.

Jeff Goldblum takes the spotlight. Dinosaurs are running around. It's Jurrasic World Evolution 2, coming this year.

Sable is a new indie game, and it'll be getting a better look tomorrow at Tribeca.

Lost Ark, an Amazon MMORPG is shown, revealing that it'll be coming to the west. This fall.

Battlefield 4 is free on the Amazon Prime Gaming launcher.

Call of Duty: Cold War: Warzone is shown briefly. June 22nd launch.

Ryan Reynolds is talking about his new movie Free Guy. It's video game-themed. August 13.

Among Us update schedule. Hide & Seek is a new mode, with new roles. New colors, cosmetics. Achievements are being added. A new map will also be introduced.

Shuhei Yoshida is talking about a new game that launched today. He also announced Salt & Sacrifice, which is the sequel to Salt & Sanctuary. You hunt mages in this 2D souls-like. It will have online and local co-op. 2022.

Solar Ash, made by Heart Machine, gets a world premiere trailer. Cell-shaded and in very dramatic colors, you scale tall buildings and can even climb onto flying giant beasts in order to fell them. Launches 2021.

Chivalry 2 just released, so they show the launch trailer.

Valorant is adding a new agent. The trailer is all of 2 seconds.

Escape from Tarkov is getting new content called Streets of Tarkov.

Two Point Campus is the latest game from a collection of ex-Sims devs. 2022.

9am PT tomorrow kicks off Geeked Week which will feature a stream that shows new info about gaming shows, like The Witcher, Castlevania, and more.

SMITE is getting a new crossover: Stranger Things.

12 games are being rapidly announced as part of a brand new studio. Outward, Scars Above, Iron Harvest, King's Bounty, Encased, Echoes of the End, Payday 3, all part of the publisher Prime Matter. A new Painkiller game is also teased.

Xbox and PC exclusive game The Anacrusis is a co-op game about spaceships and monsters.

New World, another Amazon MMO will be shown...tomorrow.

Rocket League is getting Fast and Furious DLC.

Vampire Bloodhunt got a trailer, and a closed alpha signup. Releases late 2021.

Until Dawn's developers reveal their third game as part of The Dark Pictures Anthology. Called House of Ashes, it releases Oct 22nd.

Tales of Arise shows its gameplay and story in a new trailer. Sept 10.

Planet of Lana is described as a "hand-painted" adventure where you explore a forest area and find out why things are falling from the sky. 2022.

Overwatch 2 will be 5v5.

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance gets a close look. WWE fighters are playing the game.

Paladins is having a gen:Lock crossover.

Monster Hunter: Stories has a story trailer to show, prior to its launch on the Switch.

Endless Dungeon is shown. It's a squad-based isometric game.

Insomniac's devs will be streaming the latest Ratchet game tomorrow.

Giancarlo Esposito is here to talk about Far Cry 6, and how his character is inspired by Fidel Castro.

Fall Guys is getting a Nier 2B outfit.

Genshin Impact's latest content is being shown in a story teaser.

A new boss in Back4Blood has been revealed. It looks very much like L4D. The game launches October 12th.

Deviation Games is a new developer. They're working on a new project, but they aren't ready to reveal it just yet. For now, they will confirm that they're working with PlayStation for whatever their game will be.

Tunic has you play as a little fox who starts with just a stick, but adventures and finds new items and weapons and upgrades. It's very similar to classic Zelda.

Tribes of Midgard is all about plundering and crafting. You need to protect your base from attacks each night. July 27th.

Evil Dead: The Game gets an extended look at the gameplay. You can play as either good or evil. It launches 2021.

The finale is here. Keighley is hyping it up.

It's Elden Ring, showing itself finally. It will launch on January 22nd.

Roundup

• Death Stranding: Director's Cut announced for PS5
  • Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a Borderlands spinoff
  • Salt and Sanctuary is getting a sequel called Salt and Sacrifice.
  • Two Point Campus is a university sim coming from the Two Point Hospital team
  • Among Us is getting a lot of new content, ranging from Hide & Seek mode, new colors, and more.
  • FromSoft's Elden Ring gets a look at gameplay and story, launches Jan 21, 2022

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of below average games and a few gems. And of course, what's a game show without all the cringe?

Sad that I'm not as hyped about Tales of Arise as I was when it was announced. The English voices just ain't doing it for me.

Elden Ring looks pretty sweet, but I've never been a Souls-type of guy.

Not a lot for me to look forward to, personally from this one. But independent reviews might implore me to rethink a few in the future.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Literally identical." Dunno how I missed that giant tree made of light in all the Dark Souls games. :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware an entire game's setting was determined by one asset and not the overall theme.
Shit sorry i'll edit my post oh guru of knowledge.
The overall medieval theme, strikingly similar monster designs, a main character basically in a Dark Souls 3 costume and several references to fire
BUT DAMN BRO THEY SHOWED A FUKKIN TREE NEW SETTING CONFIRMED

:rolleyes:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't aware an entire game's setting was determined by one asset and not the overall theme.
Well then you learned something new today. Setting =/= theme.

You also can't claim it's "literally identical" and then complain when people point out all the ways it isn't.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm excited for it... But.. Yeah... Literally thought Dark Souls.

As someone who loves Dark Souls and its setting, I am too. I just thought it was funny they wanted to deviate...made like, one game, then went right back to Dark Souls.

Reactions: Kioku

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd also bet on there being far more story elements that aren't just buried within item descriptions, what with GRRM's involvement. Or maybe he'll finish writing its story two years after it releases. :P
I'm not a huge Dark Souls aficionado (I loved but never beat 1, hated BB) but the idea of Dark Souls + deep story has me very curious.

Reactions: Kioku and Xzi

Deleted member 471305

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omelettetuner.dreamwidth.org
XP
Country
Brazil
Love me some Metal Slug even if i can't beat a single one of those games without infinite credits. Hopefully this new one's successfull enough that we may see a Metal Slug 8 sometime in the future. Pretty nice that they went with the pixel art style for this one, the artwork is one of the best things about the series.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Kingdom Come: Deliverance will get a switch port btw lol i wonder how that will look, kinda thinking it will look like witcher 3 atleast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1