OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Sony CEO Accidentally Reveals Secret Details About iPhone 5

Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony, accidentally told everyone in the world that his company will be supplying image sensors for Apple‘s iPhone 5.

In an interview late Friday with the Wall Street Journal’s Walt Mossberg, the Sony chief was talking about earthquake damage to 15 of the Sony’s factories in Japan, and inadvertently mentioned that a camera sensor made in one of those plants is on its way to Apple, and that sensor would be delayed because of the quake and tsunami.

Stringer didn’t specifically say that Sony is building an 8-megapixel image sensor that will go into the iPhone 5, but since Sony is currently not manufacturing any image sensors for Apple, this confirmed that Sony plans to supply components of the iPhone 5.

This points to the distinct possibility that in the iPhone 5, Apple will no longer be using those OmniVision 5-megapixel image sensors currently inside the iPhone 4. This is supported by an analyst’s report from February of this year saying that OmniVision might lose out on supplying cameras for the iPhone 5 because OmniVision’s 8-megapixel sensor won’t be ready for the iPhone 5?s rumored mid-summer launch.

Because Stringer was talking about the irony of supplying the company’s best camera to Apple, we can only surmise that he was talking about an 8-megapixel sensor. Here’s what The Wall Street Journal wrote about Stringer’s quote when reporting on its own event this morning:

Early on, he raised the irony of Sony supplying camera components for Apple devices. It “always puzzles me,” he said. “Why would I make Apple the best camera?” It is unclear what devices he was talking about as Sony isn’t known to supply key camera components, known as image sensors, to Apple; A Sony spokeswoman declined to comment and an Apple spokesperson couldn’t be reached for comment.

Stringer’s inadvertent slip also lends credence to the rumors of a delayed release of the iPhone 5.

So what do you think, readers? Is this enough evidence for us to bet on a Sony 8-megapixel camera going into the iPhone 5?

http://mashable.com/2011/04/02/stringer-iphone-5/#

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd bet on an 8MP camera, regardless of if it's Sony or not. Most high-end phones are releasing 8MP cameras, 5MP is just 'average' for the modern smartphone.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't quite understand why cellphone companies are trying to work towards fazing out standard digital cameras. Seriously, don't make that $100 digital camera worthless.

Regardless, all this revealed is that there might potentially be an 8 mega pixel camera in the iPhone 5. That isn't even details, that's like, a detail.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
I don't quite understand why cellphone companies are trying to work towards fazing out standard digital cameras. Seriously, don't make that $100 digital camera worthless.
Well, if you're filming something unprofessionally for YouTube, it's not exactrly the worst thing to use, imo.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
sony and apple working together to fight their one true enemy, geohot?
smileipb2.png

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FireEmblemGuy said:
I'd bet on an 8MP camera, regardless of if it's Sony or not. Most high-end phones are releasing 8MP cameras, 5MP is just 'average' for the modern smartphone.
Resolution has little to do with the actual quality of the camera (up to a certain point at least). This is why the iPhone 4's camera is on par if not better than most smartphones with an 8 MP camera.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
mercluke said:
sony and apple working together to fight their one true enemy, geohot?
smileipb2.png
Holy crap you have a point there.
ohmy.gif

Won't be surprised if the next iPhone has an 8 Megapixel camera though, it seems to be the standard for high-end devices nowadays. It'll probably have 4G capabilities as well.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
tigris said:
The Hubble Space Telescope is, like, 3MP.

Apple could put a 1 megapixel in their iPhone 4, but the quality would still be the same thanks to the quality of the sensors and camera itself.

Remember folks, it's not about the number of pixels a camera has! But how it uses them!
closedeyes.gif

I would just like to add though that it doesn't mean a camera can get away with a 0.1 mp sensor lol.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony digital cameras are great.

Sony is preparing for the Apple vs Nintendo future. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh boy psi posted a ltt video +1