Sony: 3DS and PS Vita aren't competing

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 8,016
  • Replies 101

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
What I got from the article is that Sony is catering to a different audience than the 3DS. It was kinda the same deal with the PSP.

But you can't ignore their similarities. That's like saying the N64 and the PS1 never competed. That they were just "catering to different audiences.".

EDIT: Yea the 3DS failed hard with this one, but the Vita has equally as bad qualities at a higher price point.
wink.gif
No I don't give a shit about graphics, so don't come at me with "WELL HURR THEY LOOK BETTER ON VITA" graphic whores.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Midna said:
FireGrey said:
Wow Sony saying something that isn't trashing something else!
They could either of changed.
Or they are thinking up a diabolical scheme!
Actually all I read from this was...

"Our system is so much better than theirs, they can't even be compared. We're in a different league."

Really? You got that from reading it? Wow. You kno.. okay nevermind, not even going to start. Just... wow.
Doing the tgs conference, someone translated one of them saying, " This is the only "hardcore" device"(or something like that), so it not a long
stretch ,but that was another person. I'll just read it like it is.

QUOTE(Shabutie78 @ Sep 18 2011, 07:30 PM)
*snip
Just no.

Anyway, I see as Nintendo is going for everyone and Sony is just going for a small section. The "hardcore". That word for gaming is so stupid.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
They could either have changed.
Lately seeing people type should/could of instead of should/could have is getting annoying. Wish I knew why

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
ShadowSoldier said:
Midna said:
FireGrey said:
Wow Sony saying something that isn't trashing something else!
Or they are thinking up a diabolical scheme!
Actually all I read from this was...

"Our system is so much better than theirs, they can't even be compared. We're in a different league."
Really? You got that from reading it? Wow. You kno.. okay nevermind, not even going to start. Just... wow.
nintendo-3ds-insult-jack-tretton-scea-sony-president-ceo-evil-controllers.jpg

Tell me Sony is respectful and unbiased in their press releases concerning Nintendo. Look me in the eye and say it.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Shabutie78 said:
*snip
Just no.

no offense but you're one of the biggest nintendo fanboys on teh temp. i wouldn't expect you to have any serious input on what i said. even though everything i said is true.
but just like others think, i'm saying that sony is aiming at casual/hardcore gamers, and nintendo is aiming primarily at children (and i guess their loyal fanboys [zelda oot, mario titles, insert . there's nothing wrong with that.
all i'm saying is that it can reasonably be said that the two don't compare. they're both handheld devices, yes, but they're both aimed at different markets.

Thesolcity said:
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Sep 18 2011, 04:26 PM)
What I got from the article is that Sony is catering to a different audience than the 3DS. It was kinda the same deal with the PSP.

But you can't ignore their similarities. That's like saying the N64 and the PS1 never competed. That they were just "catering to different audiences.".

EDIT: Yea the 3DS failed hard with this one, but the Vita has equally as bad qualities at a higher price point.
wink.gif
No I don't give a shit about graphics, so don't come at me with "WELL HURR THEY LOOK BETTER ON VITA" graphic whores.
list these bad qualities please.
graphics aren't the only thing the vita has over the 3DS. it pretty much has everything over it.

D

Deleted User

OP
s0 m@ch counsel wurz guise.. no ned two fit.

But, seriously
The thing is they are both good portables.
Each has it's own kind of "gimmicks" and it just really depends on what kind of gamer you are.
If your one of those people who are all like "omgz teh nuu Carr if dooty iz teh best gam of da yer" or only play jrpgs, then chances are you won't like the 3ds and the vita will probably suit you better.
Nintendo wants to appeal to all gamers. While sony on the other hand is more focused on what the system is capable of doing. Nintendo releasing bad ports of games that are on the bigger consoles is a bad idea. For instance call of duty black ops on the ds...WTF was that? And Sony focuses on graphics which isn't a bad thing, but if that means making gameplay more dumbed Down then I don't care if I'm playing a game with sticks for graphics, ad long as it's fun. Plus I dislike how they advertise how the ps3 only does everything. Because it doesn't lol.

Now I have a 3ds. It's fun. I've clocked over 60+ hours on it and I'm a pretty hardcore gamer.
As for the vita I don't know if I'll be getting it. I'm exited for the persona 4 remake. But I dont know if that's a system seller for me. The launch titles for both systems weren't that great in my eyes. I was greatly disappointed in the psp. Since developers hardly ever made games for the thing because of piracy..
Oh well that's my two cents of the situation lol

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
>nintendo is aimed primarily at children

Yup I stopped reading there.
awe man, i had a lot of respect for you.
you're going to tell me that with all this shovelware, generic mario/first party (milking) titles, and the whole "dual screen" concept that they're not aiming at children?
what do you think a 9 year old is more likely to have; a DS or a PSP?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Shabutie78 said:
Midna said:

you're going to tell me that with all this shovelware, generic mario/first party (milking) titles, and the whole "dual screen" concept that they're not aiming at children?

http://gbatemp.net/t237592-why-i-m-not-going-to-get-the-3ds? If you had been here in this thread, you would know.
Unfortunate that the videos were removed because you'd probably be friends with uploader.
laugh.gif

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
Shabutie78 said:
Midna said:

http://gbatemp.net/t237592-why-i-m-not-going-to-get-the-3ds? If you had been here in this thread, you would know.
Unfortunate that the videos were removed because you'd probably be friends with uploader.
laugh.gif
haha no way. i don't support idiotic criticism like that whether i like the system they're defending or not.
anyone who thinks that nintendo's DS isn't aimed primarily at children is in complete denial, or they misunderstand what i'm trying to say.
look at all of the first-party peripherals for the DS: styli with video game characters on them? DS nintendo character skins? goofy looking travel cases? (please correct me if any of these are strictly third-party only)
i'm not trying to say that adults and hardcore gamers have no reason to get the DS. i have one, and i love it.
but i'm not going to blindly say that the DS was aimed at the same audience the PSP was. that's just ignint.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The DS was aimed at everyone. It was the same strategy as Wii, they were creating a new market.

The 3DS uses the same strategy PSP used, aiming at core gamers.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Maedhros said:
The DS was aimed at everyone. It was the same strategy as Wii, they were creating a new market.

I would say aimed at everyone still but gives more emphasis to core gamers. Controls are better (to DS) and more third party software, while keeping the looks of the DS.

This is my opinion though.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
chris888222 said:
Maedhros said:

I would say aimed at everyone still but gives more emphasis to core gamers. Controls are better (to DS) and more third party software, while keeping the looks of the DS.

This is my opinion though.
The problem is: the audience from the DS (at least most of them), who bought the DS for Brain Age and such type of games is now on the smartphones. So it's a good idea focusing on core gamers now, as casual market is flooded of options.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no doubt that the PS Vita and the 3DS are competing (when both are out of course
wink.gif
), but then again, it may not even be competition. The Vita far outweighs the 3DS in potential. Keep in mind this is something I'd never say if Nintendo got it's act together. The Nintendo first party titles, customer support and Sony's shoddy customer treatment are the only reasons I haven't totally moved onto Microsoft, or Sony systems.

Let's face it. The Vita is going to take off with the gamers who like playing and continue to do so. The 3DS is going to take off in a different market. Not because that's what they aim for, but because that's what they have aimed for. I think that Nintendo have royally screwed up so far. Hopefully they get their act together and make Sony eat their words that the two aren't competing.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
Sterling said:
I think that Nintendo have royally screwed up so far. Hopefully they get their act together and make Sony eat their words that the two aren't competing.

Sony is the one really screwing up. They believe their own marketing ploys so much they're willing to release the Vita a week after Monster Hunter 3G comes out on the 3DS in Japan. They're not only releasing the Vita a week before Christmas, but after Nintendo releases all their huge games that everyone will be picking up for Christmas. I really don't think the Vita is going to do very well at the Japanese launch, especially when it's going up against Monster Hunter and doesn't really have any system sellers at launch either (similar to how the 3DS was lacking at launch, too).

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
Sterling said:
I think that Nintendo have royally screwed up so far. Hopefully they get their act together and make Sony eat their words that the two aren't competing.

Sony is the one really screwing up. They believe their own marketing ploys so much they're willing to release the Vita a week after Monster Hunter 3G comes out on the 3DS in Japan. They're not only releasing the Vita a week before Christmas, but after Nintendo releases all their huge games that everyone will be picking up for Christmas. I really don't think the Vita is going to do very well at the Japanese launch, especially when it's going up against Monster Hunter and doesn't really have any system sellers at launch either (similar to how the 3DS was lacking at launch, too).
You may have something there. I guess I'll be watching this.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that they arent competing, as its reached the point now where i still want a 3ds over vita, but thats partially because the vita when it comes out is still going to do the same bullshit that every other system does when it first comes out and have games and software that runs stupid on it.

For example, Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The game LOOKS great and plays fine, but when it comes to doing certain actions and melee, you have to tap the screen. and you know that isnt really a problem, save for the fact that you actually HAVE to tap the screen. and those kind of things that slow down gameplay are what kill a system.

I expect the first batch of vita games are going to be as bad with touching as the wii games were with waggling. EVERY DAMN wii game was waggle this and waggle that

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
*doesn't live in japan*
*disregards results of sales in a country i don't live in*
*waits to see how sales go in my own country*

T.Kuranari

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 3DS and PS Vita are certainly competing. It's not so uncommon that companies say their products haven't competiton. They say it because they want to make the average consumer believe that their products are one of the kind and therefore a must-buy. One of the most common "catchphrases" of companies is "you can't get that anywhere else". While this might be true on certain aspects, the truth is there will always be similar products. It's all a matter of time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh sorry about that